Is it worth to go from X 980 @ 3.33GHz to 4770k?

geoslay

Hi, i have the following pc:

CPU 980x (six core)

RAM Corsair 24G

VGA 2 x EVGA 480 (sli)

MOBO Asus Rampage III Extreme

Watercooled exept motherboard.

As title say i have some money and i think for upgrade.Is it worth to go to quad CPU(4770k) and 32G RAM? Or should i wait a long time for next 6-8 cores CPU's. The use of my PC is for video/photo editing, music(audiophile) and games.

Thanks in advance.

Only if you need more single threaded performance. They're pretty even for heavily threaded apps.

as @ said, upgrade your graphics card configuration. Your cpu is still very capable, especially if you do editing. If you wait a few more weeks/a month i believe graphics card prices will fall due to AMD's new lineup. As you said, it would make more sense to wait for the next generation of extreme processors with 8 core.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

A 4770K would only benefit you in single threaded tasks, which doesn't see to be of much use to you.

Since you'd have to upgrade your motherboard, what I'd really do is wait for Haswell-E and save up and upgrade the GPUs as well. If you need the additional CPU performance now, overclock the 980X or get a 4930K.

Regarding RAM, if you need more, get more.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

As you said you edit videos then stick to your 6 core, if you want to throw money at your pc wait a week or 2 and grab a pair of 290x cards, if they are as good as we expect them to be, then they should give you a decent step forward from your current 480SLI.

In general the only thing i must upgrade is GPU's and keep the money. 

In general the only thing i must upgrade is GPU's and keep the money. 

Yeah even though your cpu is a few years old its still a beast of a cpu so just upgrade your graphics or wait for that too and get the new AMD R9 290X card.

<p>PC Spec: Fractal Design R4, Asus Maximus V Gene, Intel i7 3770, BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2 CPU Cooler, 16GB Mushkin Silverline RAM, MSI GTX 660, Corsair AX860i PSU, OCZ 120GB SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III HDD's.

if it isn't slowing down too much id say wait it out till  broadwell u have the horsepower and 6 cores

logically tho you'd be upgrading even go to haswell E on 2011

i have the 970 and im perfectly happy even without overclocking

tho id upgrade that gpu

Forum Links - COC I FAQ I

I would look more at replacing your 480's unless you like living in an oven with a nuclear generator.. 

I will stick then with current system,thanx again guys for your replies. A final question, will 6-8 core come on Q3 2014 and with DDR4?

I will stick then with current system,thanx again guys for your replies. A final question, will 6-8 core come on Q3 2014 and with DDR4?

Yes but q4 2014 probably.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

I used to have a first gen i7 so you should know how uber expensive and impractical DDR3 was when it first debuted. DDR4 will be no different until maybe a year or two after it matures. Like the rest said, your system is still more than capable that I wouldn't worry about upgrading anything past the GPU for awhile.

I'd be interested in that chip in you upgrade lol.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Don't upgrade, it's not worth the $500 only to lose overall performance.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

And those SLI 480's are pretty good too.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Thanx again guys,case close till haswell E arrives ;)