F@H News (Sept. 28): AMD Core16 GPU core approaching end of life!!! 1 to 2 weeks left!!!

Our projects which use Core16 have completed and this means that Core16 is reaching its end of life, as the Core17 GPU core has some key features needed in new projects.  We do not have an ETA for the last Core16 WU, but it is likely soon, i.e. in a week or two.

One outstanding issue for Core17 is that while it has much greater performance for most AMD GPUs, it has been reported that PPD is slower for 5xxx class AMD GPUs.  We have been brainstorming fixes for this issue internally, but we have no solution for improving this unfortunately.  We are continuing to discuss this internally to see what we can do.

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/core16-gpu-core-approaching-end-of-life/

This is certainly big. :blink:

First time that I've truly seen a F@H core nearly completing all of it WU's before an estimation is given out. Certainly on this short of notice. 

Previous EOL cores had estimations that would have range of 3 to 6 months before we would run out of WU's and the transition would be very smooth.

Wow, no more core16 WUs and that they estimated it to be completed in a couple of weeks.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

That's the surprising part. They estimated it in just a week or 2 instead of there usual months.

I've just never seen this happen.

well..... it probably has happen before but that must of been years before even I join the fold and there isn't a lot of info about how F@H worked back then. Doesn't help none that the Current "official F@H forum" is not the first one and none of the info on the old forum transferred over. So if it has, I have no info about it.....

Maybe I can question a few of my friends over on the Tom's hardware F@H team that's been folding since 2004-2006 time frame. Maybe they'll remember a similar event such as this. lol 

i have never received a core 16 work unit but then agian i have only been folding with a amd gpu for a little less then a month.

Never got a core16, i think this was meant for older machines 

Actually, core 16 was meant for any gpu at and above the HD 5000 series (including the current HD 7000 series). This was one core that eliminated the HD 4000 series and below from folding any more WU's. (Because HD 3000 and below didn't have OpenCL support and support was too limited on the HD 4000 to be useful for folding.)

Although guys might not of gotten a Core 16 WU's due to people recommending to set the Advance or Beta flags which would allow you to grab the Core 17 WU's.

I gotten the bloody things. :) Really interesting though that they have seemed to have run out of them so quickly. And there is (or was) also an issue with Core15 servers being empty right now...  So, hopefully they have lots of Core17 in reserve to handle all the requests. 

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I gotten the bloody things. :) Really interesting though that they have seemed to have run out of them so quickly. And there is (or was) also an issue with Core15 servers being empty right now...  So, hopefully they have lots of Core17 in reserve to handle all the requests. 

i have had like 3 core 16 in a row .. my 7950 is getting a whopping 1k ppd.