Getting into CAD - How do I start?

Hello humans and other creatures!

My name is Ryder and I'm new around here, so hello to everyone! I've made an account here because I've browsed around the forum a bit and boy, you guys really know your stuff so I'm hoping maybe you guys can telepathically transmit all of your knowledge to me so that I can continue my agenda for taking over the world, or perhaps help me get started in CAD/Game Development/Modeling.

So here's the deal, I want to make a small and simple game. I want to model a house or a room, and I want the "character" or camera so be able to walk around the room and change the colors of certain items, turn on lights, music, and initiate animations. Some of you I know could do this in no time at all, but my experience is limited to basic Unreal Engine and Sketchup use. My time frame for this project is hopefully anywhere between a week and a year so if I have to read book after book, interrogate some of you geniuses, or possibly attempt to communicate with the extra terrestrials for information, I most certainly will.

Here are some of the things I know I will need to learn:

• Modeling items such as furniture, rooms, and other equipment.
  • Importing items from CAD programs to Unreal and placing them in desired locations.
  • Animation and Unreal scripts.

I'm sure I've missed quite a few things but I'm determined to learn and accomplish. If anyone is willing to give me direct help, resources, video tutorials, or even basic tips and pointers, I'd be greatly appreciative and you'd be doing me such great service.

Thanks guys, I'll try to be on here often and if we manage to get anywhere, I'll be posting updates as they come.

Peace!

Usually I start by starting the CAD executable file (.exe) and open it.

/jk

Watch a lot of CAD tutorials for your CAD software.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Well when talking about CAD you usually do it for precise measurements and more of an Engineering aspect. But this is not really what you wanna do.

I'd say you go and get Blender, watch a few tutorials and then you should be good.

I never got around doing that but i think it's pretty easy. You are, from a different perspective, a Little more free when it Comes to designing than you are for example in Catia, Inventor, ProE or something.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

10 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Usually I start by starting the CAD executable file (.exe) and open it.

/jk

Watch a lot of CAD tutorials for your CAD software.

Haha, you might have to walk me through that! :P

I've watched some videos on Blender and I've followed a tutorial and made a glass bowl with a cloth hanging over the side, but it doesn't seem as if people make many videos specifically for furniture and the ones that do aren't very in depth. :( 

4 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Well when talking about CAD you usually do it for precise measurements and more of an Engineering aspect. But this is not really what you wanna do.

I'd say you go and get Blender, watch a few tutorials and then you should be good.

I never got around doing that but i think it's pretty easy. You are, from a different perspective, a Little more free when it Comes to designing than you are for example in Catia, Inventor, ProE or something.

So would I be referring to basic modeling or animation instead of CAD? Maybe that will clear some things up for me and the people I ask for guidance. :D

I've done some basic things in Blender, but I can never find exactly what I'm looking for. :/ 

1 minute ago, InSilentSeas said:

So would I be referring to basic modeling or animation instead of CAD? Maybe that will clear some things up for me and the people I ask for guidance. :D

I've done some basic things in Blender, but I can never find exactly what I'm looking for. :/ 

Yeah i'd say so.

You don't have to look at furniture tutorials honestly. Just do other things first, the ones that are on YouTube and learn from that to make furniture. It's all the same really.

If you can make a glassbowl then a table shouldn't be too hard either :D

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

Yeah i'd say so.

You don't have to look at furniture tutorials honestly. Just do other things first, the ones that are on YouTube and learn from that to make furniture. It's all the same really.

If you can make a glassbowl then a table shouldn't be too hard either :D

Cool, thanks! I'm gonna go search for something basic and hopefully work my way up. Please forgive me if I sound intimidated, I most certainly am! Are there any videos or channels you can think of offhand that I should check out?

3 minutes ago, InSilentSeas said:

Cool, thanks! I'm gonna go search for something basic and hopefully work my way up. Please forgive me if I sound intimidated, I most certainly am! Are there any videos or channels you can think of offhand that I should check out?

No Problem dude.

I am subbed to "Blender Guru". Just to give an example, he has a 40min Video about how to add rust to your models. He really goes deep down and builds his stuff from the ground up. I haven't seen too many Videos of him though because i'm still in the "i really wanna learn blender too"-Phase :P

EDIT: I also just found a "Hot to make a modern interior" Video on his page. With a leather Couch, lamp and all that.

Gaming HTPC:

Desktop PC:

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

No Problem dude.

I am subbed to "Blender Guru". Just to give an example, he has a 40min Video about how to add rust to your models. He really goes deep down and builds his stuff from the ground up. I haven't seen too many Videos of him though because i'm still in the "i really wanna learn blender too"-Phase :P

EDIT: I also just found a "Hot to make a modern interior" Video on his page. With a leather Couch, lamp and all that.

I'll check him out for sure :D