GTX 1080 + DP to DVI then DVI to VGA. Nvidia control panel reads the monitor, but wont display anything.

corsairian
Go to solution Solved by TrigrH,
11 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Off-Topic.

But why a GTX 1080 and a fucking VGA monitor??

it was starting to bother me that the gtx 10 series had DVI at all, let alone wanting to use vga...

Anyway corsairian you need to buy a DP to VGA adapter as the DVI ones don't carry the anolog signal (so the don't work.)

You can use the other adapter on the DVI port and plug the main monitor in the DP port with your new adapter.

I am having trouble getting my 1080 to work with a display port to DVI. It wont run a DVI monitor from the display port adapter, or through vga with a dvi to vga adapter. , now with both of those adapters, Nvidia control panel will see the monitor, but I cant get anything to display to it.  I have 1 monitor on DVI, and would like to get my second one through display port. Does DP support VGA? This is the adapter I bought http://www.frys.com/product/7415405?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG (i also connect a dvi to vga adapter to this) Am I missing something? do i need an active DP dongle?

Off-Topic.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

That doesn't work. Anything digital (HDMI/Displayport) to analog (VGA) will require an active converter. Dual-link DVI-I can carry analog signals, which is why DVI to VGA exists, but that only works if the DVI is already carrying those analog signals. What you're trying to do here doesn't work.

11 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Off-Topic.

it was starting to bother me that the gtx 10 series had DVI at all, let alone wanting to use vga...

Anyway corsairian you need to buy a DP to VGA adapter as the DVI ones don't carry the anolog signal (so the don't work.)

You can use the other adapter on the DVI port and plug the main monitor in the DP port with your new adapter.

I have to strongly advise you get a new monitor, especially since you clearly have the money, what with having a 1080 and all.  Using VGA or any monitor that uses VGA is like putting bicycle tires on a corvette.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I have to strongly advise you get a new monitor, especially since you clearly have the money, what with having a 1080 and all.  Using VGA or any monitor that uses VGA is like putting bicycle tires on a corvette.

more like taking the wheels off, cos ur going nowhere. 

57 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

29 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The reason I am using a vga monitor is because it's 16:10 and holds some sentimental value as my first monitor. I did go out and buy a new monitor just to use this card, I just would like to use this as a secondary monitor. Thanks for the quick response, I'll pick up one of those adapters. What I really want is to get a 144hz monitor when I save up more money. 

1 hour ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Off-Topic.

I want it as a second display without shelling out more money on another monitor that isn't 144hz. It's 16:10 and I like it. 

I'm not sure what second hand sites you have where you are, but here in Australia we've got a site called "gumtree", in which I found a cheap adapter (all be it, 1000 km's from my location and  it'll need posting) and even some second hand 144hz monitors also (was looking for myself with that one)

So keep second hand items in mind for saving a few bucks...