Information Technology (IT) Manager

ilyas001

hi guys well i just want more informations about What does a Information Technology (IT) Manager do ? And is it a good job?

Uhh they manage people that do basic service on a computer i assume

thanks mate for the answer but i don't think this enough arguments to make a life choose around it don't you agree ?

It really depends on the employer/company, it could be anything from simply approving and revising plans/hires/purchases/etc to hands on work with the team or IT department. 

Often it would be like any other management position, just in the IT department or group. 

You would oversee those under you, lay out schedules or plans and goals, advise or assist when needed, represent the department at company meetings or whatever, work on the higher or more delicate task, and most likely function as a network admin with in the group.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Or you could google a job posting for IT manager and look at the job descriptions that the employer provided. Look at several job postings.

That would be the most accurate way to do this.

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

i have already searched for it . i wanted personal view on the job like someone who actually make a living on it that's all .

38 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

It really depends on the employer/company, it could be anything from simply approving and revising plans/hires/purchases/etc to hands on work with the team or IT department. 

Often it would be like any other management position, just in the IT department or group. 

You would oversee those under you, lay out schedules or plans and goals, advise or assist when needed, represent the department at company meetings or whatever, work on the higher or more delicate task, and most likely function as a network admin with in the group.

This is a good example of what your average IT manager would be like.

In fact, IT managers don't even necessarily HAVE any IT skills.

The Director of my IT department (Our manager basically) has never been in IT, but she's still an EXCELLENT manager. Because you don't necessarily need to know the skills to be good at managing. She knows when to defer to our knowledge on a subject, and never makes any decision that requires IT knowledge without getting our input first.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

This is a good example of what your average IT manager would be like.

In fact, IT managers don't even necessarily HAVE any IT skills.

The Director of my IT department (Our manager basically) has never been in IT, but she's still an EXCELLENT manager. Because you don't necessarily need to know the skills to be good at managing. She knows when to defer to our knowledge on a subject, and never makes any decision that requires IT knowledge without getting our input first.

If only all managers were like that...

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fKvV3C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 5820K | MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-2666mhz | EVGA Titan X Hybrid | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Samsung 850-EVO Series 250GB SSD | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair AX860 | Acer Predator XB270HU | Corsair H100i GTX | Corsair K70 RGB w/Cherry MX Browns | Corsair M65 RGB | Audio-Technica ATH-M50X | Windows 10 |

Within reason you could say an IT Manager is just an IT technician with additional managerial skills capable of coordinating a team of IT staff. This is essentially what i do, Sometimes you can have other responsibilities too though, for example i am also responsible for managing the IT departments finances for our company. Sometimes you could be responsible for multiple departments such as marketing, maintenance, web etc... However this can all vary to a large degree from company to company.. Hope this is of some help to you.