Do PCIe extensions have an effect on performance?

Johnmakuta

I am planning a build with a pair of the new GTX 1080s when I come back from a trip (and the prices go down to msrp). The build would require that I use PCIe extensions as the motherboard will be mounted too close to a panel for the graphics cards to fit. I've never used PCIe extenders before and I always thought there might be some latency with them but I am especially worried with two graphics cards and that new HB SLI bridge. Should I be worried about possible latency or am I worried about nothing?

Someone could correct me, but I don't think they have an effect.  I think it's the same principle as extending any other data cable, plus a lot of SFF enthusiast cases are starting to use them in their designs (not that risers haven't existed since forever).

I'm curious what you're trying to build in though. 

Nope no measurable difference until a certain length (>1m)

8 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Someone could correct me, but I don't think they have an effect.  I think it's the same principle as extending any other data cable, plus a lot of SFF enthusiast cases are starting to use them in their designs (not that risers haven't existed since forever).

I'm curious what you're trying to build in though. 

I'm building a multisystem chassis where the motherboards will be basically on top of each other with monoblocks cooling them.

Server chassic mount gpus like that theres good products to use. 

Just don't buy over 1m long and it will be just fine

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB