Headset questions

TitanXYZ
Go to solution Solved by StormEye,

Making choice between Heasdset Vs Headphone pretty much boils down to one key aspect. Voice Activation for voice chatting. Especially if you use a mechanical keyboard or anything generally audible as part of your gaming setup.

If you prefer voice activation method when using voice chat, you will have to have a very particular setup to achieve this if you decide to use headphone + standalone mic.

So, if Push-to-Talk (PTT) will be your main method for voice chat, you can get whatever. Take advice from people above and get a separate Headphone and Microphone.

If you need Voice Activation, you will mostly likely not going to be able to achieve this without other players just muting you for being so much of an annoyance.

Maybe the happy medium would be V-Moda Boom Microphone combined with any compatible headphone. Have not tested this myself, so I cannot tell you whether this works amazing or not.

Many will suggest ModMic in this forum, but I have never had good experience with ModMic. Mic gets activated way too easily and its only slightly better than standalone mic when it comes to voice activation usage.

So I need to buy a new headset as im having issues with my Razer Krakens mic. I want a new headset that has both a decent mic and decent game quality whilst being close backed and $150 or less(if possible. I've recently found a pair of 350 se for 115 dollars and I'm wondering whether I should go with them.

10 minutes ago, MyInnerFred said:

Did you take a look into Sennheiser and Audio Technica's gaming headsets? 

Sennheiser's Game One

Audio Technica ATHADG1

That audio technica looks great for me thanks. Would you suggest that or ath m50x and a stand alone or clip on mic? 

28 minutes ago, TitanXYZ said:

That audio technica looks great for me thanks. Would you suggest that or ath m50x and a stand alone or clip on mic? 

I wouldn't suggest the M50's at all, their good headphones but way over hyped... I have a M50.

Clip on mics typically have pretty bad audio input quality. Had a Zalman clip on at one point, didn't keep it for over a week. I have a modmic and it's pretty good.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

36 minutes ago, TitanXYZ said:

If you're going to get the gaming headsets from AT, I would suggest you instead get an AD700x and a standalone mic, better value, can upgrade in the future, etc.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Please... god do not buy an overpriced "gaming" headset from a renown audio brand.... just get headphones and a quality desktop mic (eg. audiotechnica 2020/2500)

The Black Friday Rig: 

[PCPartPicker part list](https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QyvH8K)
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor] | $280.00 
**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler] | $19.99 
**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard] | $175.00 
**Memory** | [Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory] | $94.99 
**Storage** | [Corsair Force LE 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive] | $85.99 
**Storage** | [Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive] | $64.00 
**Video Card** | [Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card] | $319.99 
**Case** | [Corsair Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case] | $89.00 
**Power Supply** | [Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply] | $84.99 
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit]| $109.00 
 | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
 | **Total** | **$1322.95**
 | Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2016-11-27 18:34 EST-0500 |

Making choice between Heasdset Vs Headphone pretty much boils down to one key aspect. Voice Activation for voice chatting. Especially if you use a mechanical keyboard or anything generally audible as part of your gaming setup.

If you prefer voice activation method when using voice chat, you will have to have a very particular setup to achieve this if you decide to use headphone + standalone mic.

So, if Push-to-Talk (PTT) will be your main method for voice chat, you can get whatever. Take advice from people above and get a separate Headphone and Microphone.

If you need Voice Activation, you will mostly likely not going to be able to achieve this without other players just muting you for being so much of an annoyance.

Maybe the happy medium would be V-Moda Boom Microphone combined with any compatible headphone. Have not tested this myself, so I cannot tell you whether this works amazing or not.

Many will suggest ModMic in this forum, but I have never had good experience with ModMic. Mic gets activated way too easily and its only slightly better than standalone mic when it comes to voice activation usage.