First PC Build: Want feedback before I buy anything

Jvill40

Hey, this is my first post on these forums and I'm looking for some feedback on a parts list I've made up for my first gaming PC build. I'm looking to spend around $800 for the PC (not including the monitor, keyboard, or OS). Let me know what you all think and if there's any substitutions you would recommend and why. I appreciate any feedback at all.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/r9kNnn

I would go with skylake if I were you.... not alot of sense in buying older parts when next gen stuff is available today for less than 100 bucks difference.

But if you're fine with the older stuff, then theres nothing exactly wrong with it either. I would recommend waiting and getting an RX 480 instead of the 380 though. its going to be about the same price but the 480 should be a fair bit better.

Just now, Jvill40 said:

peripherals are personal preference but that monitor is 35-120hz freesync:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/LdTXsJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/LdTXsJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($57.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($30.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($35.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Monitor: AOC G2460PF 24.0" 144Hz Monitor  ($209.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Rosewill RGB80 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma Wired Optical Mouse  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: rx 480 ($199.00)
Total: $1004.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-06 13:36 EDT-0400

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

skylake to be honest...

RX480 is gonna cost the same or should cost the same roughly so wait 23 days for it to launch :) 

Get a better PSU, anything from Seasonic or xfx (except XT series) and you will be guld :) 

2 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

peripherals are personal preference but that monitor is 35-120hz freesync:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/LdTXsJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/LdTXsJ/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($57.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($30.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Monitor: AOC G2460PF 24.0" 144Hz Monitor  ($209.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Rosewill RGB80 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma Wired Optical Mouse  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: rx 480 ($199.00)
Total: $1004.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-06 13:36 EDT-0400

Aka. that :) (in terms of CPU, GPU and PSU)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

In order of importance

1. Get a better PSU (use the LTT PSU tier list). Anything with Seasonic, Superflower or Delta as OEM should be fine.

2. Get an SSD, even if it's just a boot drive. They're sexy.

3. The GPU doesn't really match the rest of the build; this should be 390/970 territory, though I'd wait for the 1070 or 480 if I were you.

4. Skylake has a slightly better IPC, better TDP, DMI, etc.

5. I like the choice of cooler and case, though if you get a cpu that isn't a K sku you can just use the stock cooler and get a h110 mobo; would save dollar.

If you make a post contradicting mine that doesn't directly address my claims, or cites 'facts' without evidence, I'm probably not going to bother responding to it, because you probably didn't bother reading my post properly, and because life is too short. It doesn't mean I don't have an answer for you. It means I'm not dignifying you with a response. 

Yeah i tried a build with an i5 6600k but the "less that $100 difference" across all parts really adds up quickly. Since I'm on a relatively tight budget (basically cleaning house on my bank account) where should the give and take really be? I think that I want the overclocking potential from the CPU but for my first gaming PC is it necessary? When you say get a better PSU are you referring to a higher wattage and better efficiency grade or just a different more reliable brand? Also I'm pretty impatient and have been looming over getting this PC for a month and a half now so waiting another 20 days for new GPUs is going to be rough. 

Currently I'm gaming on a normal laptop with an i5 2450M @ ~2.5GHz and Intel integrated graphics 3000, so really anything I buy will be an upgrade. Whats the best way to start a new parts list? Should I pick a CPU and GPU and then work the rest into fitting into my budget? 

22 minutes ago, Jvill40 said:

Hey, this is my first post on these forums and I'm looking for some feedback on a parts list I've made up for my first gaming PC build. I'm looking to spend around $800 for the PC (not including the monitor, keyboard, or OS). Let me know what you all think and if there's any substitutions you would recommend and why. I appreciate any feedback at all.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/r9kNnn

Is this just for 1080P gaming?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Yes, just for 1080p gaming. I don't have the budget to really go beyond this

2 minutes ago, Jvill40 said:

Yes, just for 1080p gaming. I don't have the budget to really go beyond this

$880 with a FreeSync monitor included:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($317.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2457-MHD 23.6" 60Hz Monitor  ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $880.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-06 13:56 EDT-0400

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

5 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

$880 with a FreeSync monitor included:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($317.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2457-MHD 23.6" 60Hz Monitor  ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $880.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-06 13:56 EDT-0400

Or wait 23 days and get more performance for less (if AMD isn't lying)

23 minutes ago, Elehat said:

Anything with Seasonic, Superflower or Delta as OEM should be fine.

Everything is true with Seasonic and Superflower (mostly) but delta...hell the f*** no...

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Or wait 23 days and get more performance for less (if AMD isn't lying)

That is considering he can wait. I'm not sure whether he can wait or not.

@Jvill40 can you wait till June 29?

Not really looking to wait that long. I'm okay with sacrificing potential graphics increases to have it now rather than later. Is there any way I can convert the build you posted into using an ATX motherboard and ATx mid tower case? I want to have the ability for future upgrades and having a micro atx mobo will limit what gpus i could buy in the future wouldn't it?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/jLm48K

what about this build instead? I dropped the cpu cooler and went with a locked cpu instead of the k version. Not sure if the mobo is the best for these parts. I would just buy a ~$130 monitor on amazon but i didnt add one into the build. Later on when the new gpus are out I can try my hand at selling this gpu and picking up one of the newer ones.

6 minutes ago, Jvill40 said:

Not really looking to wait that long. I'm okay with sacrificing potential graphics increases to have it now rather than later. Is there any way I can convert the build you posted into using an ATX motherboard and ATx mid tower case? I want to have the ability for future upgrades and having a micro atx mobo will limit what gpus i could buy in the future wouldn't it?

Nope unless you plan on going CFX :P but you may as well sell your old GPU and get a better GPU when it comes :) (but...but...you might be getting 390x/980 performance for $200 so...yeah :/)

2 minutes ago, Jvill40 said:

what about this build instead? I dropped the cpu cooler and went with a locked cpu instead of the k version. Not sure if the mobo is the best for these parts. I would just buy a ~$130 monitor on amazon but i didnt add one into the build. Later on when the new gpus are out I can try my hand at selling this gpu and picking up one of the newer ones.

Drop the motherboard for something cheaper with 2 PCIe 16x slots (with one being 16x and one 8x so you can CFX/SLI in the future) and get a damn SSD :)

something like this:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($136.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($36.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($317.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ NCIX US) 
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $912.31
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-06 14:26 EDT-0400

(wanted to go h170 as you're not OCing but all of their second 16x slot is only 4x electronically so...no SLI support and you're talking about the future so...yeah plus the gigabyte motherboard is still red and flashy so...hue hue hue)

Awesome thanks for the feedback. Just a couple final questions while I still might have your attention. I liked the idea of an ssd but just never got around to fitting it into the budget. Since this build does have one, how exactly would I go about managing my space? Can I just download the games im currently playing to the ssd and other games I don't play as much to the hard drive? Also how easy is it to transfer data between these two drives (never worked with an ssd before so I'm not sure). Last question is what monitor would you recommend for this build. I've watched YouTube videos comparing various different ones for gaming and what not and I want to make sure it has hdmi (most do anyway). Looking to spend under $150 for it. 

1 hour ago, Jvill40 said:

Future upgrades like? Dual GPU setups? A single more powerful GPU will always trump a dual GPU setup, unless you're are talking about VR, where you might be better off assigning each GPU to each eye.

Or fat triple slot GPUs? The case has 4 PCIe slots so don't worry. :D

56 minutes ago, Jvill40 said:

Like @Mr.Meerkat and I said, you're better off getting a better GPU than going CrossFire.

29 minutes ago, Jvill40 said:

Awesome thanks for the feedback. Just a couple final questions while I still might have your attention. I liked the idea of an ssd but just never got around to fitting it into the budget. Since this build does have one, how exactly would I go about managing my space? Can I just download the games im currently playing to the ssd and other games I don't play as much to the hard drive? Also how easy is it to transfer data between these two drives (never worked with an ssd before so I'm not sure). Last question is what monitor would you recommend for this build. I've watched YouTube videos comparing various different ones for gaming and what not and I want to make sure it has hdmi (most do anyway). Looking to spend under $150 for it. 

For SSD, you could go either or a combination of:

1) Install OS on SSD, apps and data on HDD

2) Install frequently used apps on SSD, rest on HDD

3) Install OS and most frequently used apps on SSD, rest on HDD

4) Store frequently used data on SSD, rest on HDD

Or use SSD as a caching drive.

Yes, you can download your games you play to the SSD, and leave the rest to HDD. It's all about efficiently utilizing the fast, but rather small space.

For transferring data from SSD to HDD, you will be limited to HDD speeds.

For monitor, pick whatever you like, but choose a FreeSync monitor.

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#A=2&sort=a8&page=1

Hopefully you now have a clue roughly what you're gonna get :), good luck and have fun building your PC :D 

I think I'll go with the lower tier graphics card now and then try selling it in a month when the new cards come out and I have more $$. When it comes to the SSD, is there a "best" option out of the ones you proposed or does it sort of depend on personal preference/what you're using your computer for. Since it would primarily be a gaming PC wouldn't I want the games I play to be on the SSD and leave the OS on the HDD, sacrificing startup speeds for better game performance? Or would it be better to have the OS on the SSD and then use the increased space of the HDD for all my games. @Mr.Meerkat @Shahnewaz thanks again for all your help so far since I'm fairly fresh into the PC community

1 minute ago, Jvill40 said:

I think I'll go with the lower tier graphics card now and then try selling it in a month when the new cards come out and I have more $$. When it comes to the SSD, is there a "best" option out of the ones you proposed or does it sort of depend on personal preference/what you're using your computer for. Since it would primarily be a gaming PC wouldn't I want the games I play to be on the SSD and leave the OS on the HDD, sacrificing startup speeds for better game performance? Or would it be better to have the OS on the SSD and then use the increased space of the HDD for all my games. @Mr.Meerkat @Shahnewaz thanks again for all your help so far since I'm fairly fresh into the PC community

Yu could get a second hand GPU right now (maybe something like a 7950) as they are powerful enough to play games at 1080p easily, cheap and there's a lot of it for sale while you wait for polaris (or maybe jump to pascal) and most importantly, it's price ain't gonna drop too much more so when you buy a new gen more powerful card, you can sell it for almost the same price as you bought it for.

If you don't mind dropping looks of the motherboard to get a cheaper one (but still support SLI and what not) then you can get a 240GB SSD :) so you can store more on SSD :D.

like this:

Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($102.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($34.49 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($317.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ NCIX US) 
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $894.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-06 16:36 EDT-0400

34 minutes ago, Jvill40 said:

I think I'll go with the lower tier graphics card now and then try selling it in a month when the new cards come out and I have more $$.

You'll be fine with the R9 390. It's an awesome card for 1080P gaming. If you are really going that far for new tech, you might as well wait forever, since new stuff come out regularly. Polaris, then Pig Pascal, then Vega, then Navi an so on.

It's a different story if you had the time to wait, but for now, just get what you can. :D We don't want to force your hand to wait or make absurd decisions.

59 minutes ago, Jvill40 said:

When it comes to the SSD, is there a "best" option out of the ones you proposed or does it sort of depend on personal preference/what you're using your computer for. Since it would primarily be a gaming PC wouldn't I want the games I play to be on the SSD and leave the OS on the HDD, sacrificing startup speeds for better game performance? Or would it be better to have the OS on the SSD and then use the increased space of the HDD for all my games.

Really depends on how you will use your PC, and how much space your frequently used apps use.

It's all about the loading times. Either load OS faster, or games faster, or both, if you get a sufficiently big SSD. It's upto you which one do you prefer.

Or you could set up your SSD to cache the most frequently used files on the SSD, so it technically does all the guess work for you.

As always, happy to help! :D