Internet over Power kinda works

Ace0100

Hi guys 

My cousin bought a new computer and he has setup internet over power adapters because he does not have a wireless USB adapter. The internet over power works on his old computer but when he connects the cable to his new computer it does not work any ideas on how to get it working.

Thanks 

CPU: i7 3770 3.40Ghz 3.90Ghz II  Motherboard: Gigabyte II Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance II GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition II Case: CM Storm Enforcer II

Storage: Intel 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 4TB SSHD II PSU: Thermal Take 700w II

Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity, all it takes is a little push.  ~Joker

2 minutes ago, Ace0100 said:

Hi guys 

My cousin bought a new computer and he has setup internet over power adapters because he does not have a wireless USB adapter. The internet over power works on his old computer but when he connects the cable to his new computer it does not work any ideas on how to get it working.

Thanks 

is he on the same circuit?

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Just now, LukaP said:

is he on the same circuit?

yes he is one story house and i am doing the same thing but i am on 2 circuit but seems to work 

CPU: i7 3770 3.40Ghz 3.90Ghz II  Motherboard: Gigabyte II Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance II GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition II Case: CM Storm Enforcer II

Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity, all it takes is a little push.  ~Joker

1 minute ago, Ace0100 said:

yes he is one story house and i am doing the same thing but i am on 2 circuit but seems to work 

welp its above me then. usually when powerline doesnt work its because its on 2 different circuits.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Just now, LukaP said:

welp its above me then. usually when powerline doesnt work its because its on 2 different circuits.

it works on his old computer i find it odd tho his going to send me specs/model of what adapter his using i told him to try to re sync them with the new computer plugged in waiting on reply from him 

6 minutes ago, LukaP said:

powerlines do work on seperate circuits because theyre usually on the same phase, i know from personal experience, on his new computer, does he have the ethernet drivers installed?

plus if he lives in the same house where is old computer worked, why wouldnt his new one work?

Can he test if connecting to the network not though the powerline (connect it to the router) does or doesn't work.

If it does not work it will be to do with the computer's NIC. (Re)install drivers or try a different one.

If it does i'm not sure, test the cables?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

Just now, Hans Christian | Teri said:

Did he remember to install the driver for his NIC?

Just now, mcraftax said:

Can he test if connecting to the network not though the powerline (connect it to the router) does or doesn't work.

If it does not work it will be to do with the computer's NIC. (Re)install drivers or try a different one.

If it does i'm not sure, test the cables?

I am getting him to test it with out the adapters direct connection 

Update: He directly connected the computer to the router and it works but still wont work with the adapter but the adapter works with the old computer 

Update: He directly connected the computer to the router and it works but still wont work with the adapter but the adapter works with the old computer 

Are there any drivers for the powerline adapter? I highly doubt it but it's worth checking out.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Are there any drivers for the powerline adapter? I highly doubt it but it's worth checking out.

nah no drivers for it just plug and play

nah no drivers for it just plug and play

What model powerline adapters does he have? Just curious if anyone else has had a similar problem with that model.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

What model powerline adapters does he have? Just curious if anyone else has had a similar problem with that model.

Its a D-Link AV 500

3 minutes ago, Ace0100 said:

Its a D-Link AV 500

So it looks like that model only does 10/100 Mbps, although I doubt it could he have set the properties on the new computer to 1000Mb Full Duplex? If you have him open up the Network and Sharing Center > Adapter Settings > Right click on the NIC > Properties > Configure > Advanced > Speed and Duplex. From there check if it's set to Auto or not.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

So it looks like that model only does 10/100 Mbps, although I doubt it could he have set the properties on the new computer to 1000Mb Full Duplex? If you have him open up the Network and Sharing Center > Adapter Settings > Right click on the NIC > Properties > Configure > Advanced > Speed and Duplex. From there check if it's set to Auto or not.

yea its on auto Negation and the power light and the computer icons are on the home light is not

Ok guys so i went into the speed and duplex and changed the value from auto to 100Mb it works now but slow as hell