Weird CPU Overclocking

Having a bit of a weird experience overclocking my CPU -- 4690k on an MSI Z97 Krait motherboard.

When I initially got my system about a year ago, I set everything up, made sure it worked, and then got to overclocking. My CPU could only reach 4.2 GHz, which was slightly disappointing because the turbo is 4.0 GHz, but I still got a slight overclock. The system would immediately crash if I tried to boot up at 4.3 GHz, no matter the voltage.

I just rebuilt my system in a different case, using the same exact parts set up the exact same way. I did NOT reseat either my CPU cooler (NH-D15) or the CPU itself in its socket. 

For some reason, when I went into the BIOS to set up fan profiles, I noticed that all of my overclock settings were gone and everything was back at the default value. Since I didn't remember what exact value the voltage was set to, I just did the whole overclocking process again (increase core multiplier, if crash reduce core multiplier or increase voltage up to 1.3v, stress test, if crash reduce core multiplier or increase voltage up to 1.3v, repeat).

Strangely, I'm now running 4.5 GHz completely stable at 1.288v. Like I said, none of the parts are different and I didn't touch my CPU or the CPU cooler. I'm getting good temps in the low 70s at load. Does anyone have an explanation for this? Did I do something wrong my first build? Was one of the power supply cables (CPU or motherboard) a little loose and wasn't delivering power correctly? I can't figure out an explanation.

CPU i5 4690k 4.5GHz 

RAM 16GB 1866MHz 

GPU 980 Ti 1.2GHz 

you were just compleate shit at overclocking when you first did it?

also 4GHz is not the max turbo for a 4690k its 3.5Ghz

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you were just compleate shit at overclocking when you first did it?

also 4GHz is not the max turbo for a 4690k its 3.5Ghz

Just checked, we're both wrong. Max turbo is 3.9 GHz (Intel specifications).

I guess I could've just done it wrong, but I tried for a couple days to get it to go over 4.2 GHz and it just wouldn't budge.

CPU i5 4690k 4.5GHz 

RAM 16GB 1866MHz 

GPU 980 Ti 1.2GHz 

2 minutes ago, ahkenatan said:

Just checked, we're both wrong. Max turbo is 3.9 GHz (Intel specifications).

I guess I could've just done it wrong, but I tried for a couple days to get it to go over 4.2 GHz and it just wouldn't budge.

um what. no. its suposed to be 3.5Ghz. i fucking have one! wut da fuq im going to go check my box

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

um what. no. its suposed to be 3.5Ghz. i fucking have one! wut da fuq im going to go check my box

It's clearly 3.9 on intel's website

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

clearly says 3.5GHz on the box of my 4690K, i am right here!IMG_20160604_223114.jpg

Builds:

Spoiler

i also know from using it that it does not ever go above 3.5GHz, site is wrong. what the fuck

Builds:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

It's clearly 3.9 on intel's website

i have used my 4690K loads without OCing it, it never goes above 3.5GHz stock.

Builds:

Spoiler

ok i think mine is just fucking broken. wow

Builds:

Spoiler

i have used my 4690K loads without OCing it, it never goes above 3.5GHz stock.

3.5 is still the base clock. It goes to 3.9 when it can, you could just have turbo disabled from BIOS.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i also know from using it that it does not ever go above 3.5GHz, site is wrong. what the fuck

No it isn't, turbo boost ( Single core ) Is 3.9, 4 Cores is 3.5, and @OP You were just terrible at first lol.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

Maybe the old case didn't ground as well, or as you say, maybe one of your connectors weren't in the right way. Overclocking needs lots of clean power.

1 minute ago, TheGamingBarrel said:

No it isn't, turbo boost ( Single core ) Is 3.9, 4 Cores is 3.5, and @OP You were just terrible at first lol.

1 minute ago, UnknownEngineer said:

3.5 is still the base clock. It goes to 3.9 when it can, you could just have turbo disabled from BIOS.

oh yah. it must be somehow disabled in BIOS. im not sure how seeing as how i have barely touched it but thats probably it. i know that even when i first got it it never went higher then 3.5 tho so something is strange here...

Builds:

Spoiler

oh yah. it must be somehow disabled in BIOS. im not sure how seeing as how i have barely touched it but thats probably it. i know that even when i first got it it never went higher then 3.5 tho so something is strange here...

Try a single threaded stress test. Check OS and BIOS settings. Windows can also limit your CPU's frequency, tough it would be more likely to be the BIOS.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

3.5 is what is comes with when you first buy it and do nothing. The 3.9 is what the Processor will do automatically if your computer needs it. You can hit more Ghz When you OC the core manually. that is what allows you to enter into the 4.0+ GHz.

3 minutes ago, UnknownEngineer said:

Try a single threaded stress test. Check OS and BIOS settings. Windows can also limit your CPU's frequency, tough it would be more likely to be the BIOS.

bios says that turbo is enabled, im running a 4.45Ghz OC right now but i know that its never gone above 3.5GHz when not overclocked, also aparently you cant get into the ASRock BIOS with a K70 so im typing all this on a membrane keyboard. it feels like shit

Builds:

Spoiler