Skylake Editing / Gaming Build

1. Budget & Location

I live in the UK, so I'm buying in GBP, and I have a budget of £1000

2. Aim

My new build is going to be for photoshop, video editing, gaming, watching movies etc. In terms of gaming I'm not talking really competitive stuff, more just occasionaly playing the odd FPS or racing sim.

3. Monitors

1 monitor needed. 1080p, IPS, =< 23", no glossy bezels, wall mountable; vesa. Reasonable colour accuracy and respectable brand

4. Peripherals

No peripherals but the system needs some way to use wifi, ethernet not available.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I am upgrading because rn I have a toshiba laptop; that pretty much states it all.

btw I have already put together a parts list this is more so people can check over the build and give their opinions. Also the reason I have no graphics card and case is because I am waiting for the new Cryorig OLA and RX 480. Also dont give me hate cause I dont have a hard drive but on my current system I only use 129gb including windows and that is with all my files.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/KxhH9W
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/KxhH9W/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£194.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C1 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (£69.96 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£124.51 @ More Computers) 
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  (£29.52 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£97.45 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Silverstone 450W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply  (£53.22 @ Amazon UK) 
Monitor: Asus VC239H 23.0" 60Hz Monitor  (£119.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Total: £689.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-04 20:56 BST+0100

This is what I was thinking. I am from the US, so I don't know if I got good deals, but here you go:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/TzQrxY

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

8 minutes ago, alfie_fogg1502 said:

Also dont give me hate cause I dont have a hard drive but on my current system I only use 129gb including windows and that is with all my files.

I got 65GB free out of 120GB SSD, so nothing to be ashamed of :P

10 minutes ago, alfie_fogg1502 said:

1. Budget & Location

I live in the UK, so I'm buying in GBP, and I have a budget of £1000

2. Aim

My new build is going to be for photoshop, video editing, gaming, watching movies etc. In terms of gaming I'm not talking really competitive stuff, more just occasionaly playing the odd FPS or racing sim.

3. Monitors

1 monitor needed. 1080p, IPS, =< 23", no glossy bezels, wall mountable; vesa. Reasonable colour accuracy and respectable brand

4. Peripherals

No peripherals but the system needs some way to use wifi, ethernet not available.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I am upgrading because rn I have a toshiba laptop; that pretty much states it all.

btw I have already put together a parts list this is more so people can check over the build and give their opinions. Also the reason I have no graphics card and case is because I am waiting for the new Cryorig OLA and RX 480. Also dont give me hate cause I dont have a hard drive but on my current system I only use 129gb including windows and that is with all my files.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/KxhH9W
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/KxhH9W/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£194.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C1 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (£69.96 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£124.51 @ More Computers) 
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  (£29.52 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£97.45 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Silverstone 450W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply  (£53.22 @ Amazon UK) 
Monitor: Asus VC239H 23.0" 60Hz Monitor  (£119.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Total: £689.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-04 20:56 BST+0100

I'd save some cash by getting a locked i5 and an H170 motherboard and that would save you money off of the CPU cooler since there's no need for an aftermarket one on a locked i5. You might then be able to buy a much better monitor.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I'd save some cash by getting a locked i5 and an H170 motherboard and that would save you money off of the CPU cooler since there's no need for an aftermarket one on a locked i5. You might then be able to buy a much better monitor.

What If I Want To Overclock? Surely then I would need an aftermarket. I'm not looking for a huge overclock but just to squeeze a bit more performnce; make the most of what I got :) . Probably should've mentioned this in the original post but I didn't so better late than never

2 minutes ago, alfie_fogg1502 said:

What If I Want To Overclock? Surely then I would need an aftermarket. I'm not looking for a huge overclock but just to squeeze a bit more performnce; make the most of what I got :) . Probably should've mentioned this in the original post but I didn't so better late than never

Well then you'd have to get a Z-series board and an aftermarket cooler and a 6600k, but this adds $100 for just a few megahertz which, to me, doesn't seem worth it when you have a 60 Hz 1080p monitor.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Well then you'd have to get a Z-series board and an aftermarket cooler and a 6600k, but this adds $100 for just a few megahertz which, to me, doesn't seem worth it when you have a 60 Hz 1080p monitor.

Rendering needs those CPU gainz though?

2 minutes ago, alfie_fogg1502 said:

Rendering needs those CPU gainz though?

It needs them CPU cores really, not IPC I don't think, probably depends on the program. I know premier pro prefers an i5 4460 over an i3 4370 even though the i3 has better IPC so.

16 minutes ago, Philcat101 said:

This is what I was thinking. I am from the US, so I don't know if I got good deals, but here you go:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/TzQrxY

Strange choice of cpu cooler.