June 3, 2016 - The WAN Show Document

5 hours ago, porina said:

Mercury is something any water cooler might think about sooner or later... apart from sourcing enough of the stuff, I hate to imagine how strong a pump you would need to actually get it moving.

I wonder if you super-sized Arctic Silver, would that work? Put in tiny particles of some metal in the coolant, but the particles would have to be small and inert enough to not interfere with anything and keep suspended in the flow.

Oh, I had also considered replacing regular water with heavy water before. I was thinking the slight density boost might help there. Never tried it, when a physicist reminded me it would be radioactive and questions will be asked if I tried sourcing it.

Just me, casually searching for about a gallon of deuterium oxide for an "overclocking experiment"

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

6 hours ago, porina said:

Mercury is something any water cooler might think about sooner or later... apart from sourcing enough of the stuff, I hate to imagine how strong a pump you would need to actually get it moving.

So I've been looking at Mercury cooling and I've discovered a few interesting things. 

A few people on OC3D.net claim heatpipes have a small amount of Mercury in them, not sure if that's true or not? 

Onto Mercury as a cooling fluid, not a good idea (ignoring the obvious issues). Yes it's true Mercury does remove heat quicker than water but as it turns out it also holds onto heat much more than water meaning the loop would just get hotter and hotter until it was the same temperature as the hottest component in the loop. Even if you could get a pump to pump it you'd never get enough rad space or get it moving fast enough to cool it down short of monstrous external pumps and rads. 

A few members there swear by motorcycle coolant in their loops, apparently it can give upto a 10% difference compared to regular loop fluid. That said, would you dare fill your loop with motorcycle coolant? I know I wouldn't. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

A few people on OC3D.net claim heatpipes have a small amount of Mercury in them, not sure if that's true or not? 

I'd really doubt it. There has been a big move to eliminate it from products, at least in Europe.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

A few members there swear by motorcycle coolant in their loops, apparently it can give upto a 10% difference compared to regular loop fluid. That said, would you dare fill your loop with motorcycle coolant? I know I wouldn't. 

Would it be much different from car radiator additives? That was commonly used when I last dabbled with DIY water cooling.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

55 minutes ago, porina said:

I'd really doubt it. There has been a big move to eliminate it from products, at least in Europe.

Would it be much different from car radiator additives? That was commonly used when I last dabbled with DIY water cooling.

I sent Jayztwocents a tweet asking if he could test it out and see if it has any validity or not, he has form for using strange things in water loops, infact motorcycle coolant would be less strange than some of the things he's tried in the past (Milk and OJ spring to mind). 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

@LinusTech Why didn't you mention OP names in the show?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

or... we are living in a virtual universe

this is also equal to "all laws of physics can be break"

(and that is cool by the way)

and the makers... go away...

long time ago ^_^