Can one OC with these CPU coolers?

Maist

I'll probably buy the I5 6600K or the I7 6700K with either the Scythe Katana 4 or the CoolerMaster Hyper 212X. Motherboard will be Asus Z170 Pro Gaming.

Is it even possible to OC with these components, or should i just get the H170 and give up OC?

4 minutes ago, Maist said:

or should i just get the H170 and give up OC

I don't know much about overcloking, but if you would give up on it, you may as well get a non-k version of your processors ;)

Definitely possible to overclock. I don't see why you can't.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Definitely possible to overclock. I don't see why you can't.

how much do you think i'll get with the 212 for example?

4 minutes ago, y_unit265 said:

I don't know much about overcloking, but if you would give up on it, you may as well get a non-k version of your processors ;)

The K one has 0.5 more default MHz, and the price is almost the same

Chart I would say yes! This also depends on the air flow in youre system.

The Hyper 212X will be able to give you a decent overclock at good temps. If you want to aim for high overclocks, go for a premium heatsink like the Noctua NH-D15 or an AIO liquid cooler.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

1 minute ago, Goat said:

The Hyper 212X will be able to give you a decent overclock at good temps. If you want to aim for high overclocks, go for a premium heatsink like the Noctua NH-D15 or an AIO liquid cooler.

I only want to get a decent OC of about 4.5 or so

This seems better value for money 'be quiet! Shadow Rock 2' Really not much more £3 or $5 roughly.

3 minutes ago, Maist said:

I only want to get a decent OC of about 4.5 or so

Overclocking results will depend on the chip as CPUs are not created equally due to the manufacturing process. Your overclock may be higher or lower than what you are aiming for. The Hyper 212X should be able to handle your overclock.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

17 minutes ago, Goat said:

Overclocking results will depend on the chip as CPUs are not created equally due to the manufacturing process. Your overclock may be higher or lower than what you are aiming for. The Hyper 212X will be able to handle your overclock.

ftfy

Happy 400th post c:

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, Maist said:

how much do you think i'll get with the 212 for example?

The K one has 0.5 more default MHz, and the price is almost the same

I'm not too well informed about Skylake but I wouldn't be surprised if you got around a 4.5 GHz overclock with those coolers.

Be sure to look at the Turbo Frequency and compare those. In most cases, the turbo frequency difference between a non-K and K CPU is almost nothing.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

7 hours ago, Maist said:

I'll probably buy the I5 6600K or the I7 6700K with either the Scythe Katana 4 or the CoolerMaster Hyper 212X. Motherboard will be Asus Z170 Pro Gaming.

Is it even possible to OC with these components, or should i just get the H170 and give up OC?

You should be OK to get to 4.5 with either one. Intel frequently puts more voltage into turboing at 4.4 than it takes to stabilize 4.5.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.