Frequent network drops, what should I replace?

Virtual01

Here's my scenario: The router and modem in my house are both 5+ years old. My modem is the shitty modem/router that my dad rents from the cable company and my router is an old netgear n600 (no idea why we have 2 routers). I currently have my PC hardwired via a powerline adapter, which gives me about 6x more speed than using my wifi and I'm quite happy with it. The problem is this: At random times my internet will completely drop out for about 3 minutes. The frequency of this happening depends on the day, but it happens at least once per day, usually more.

I know this isn't a problem with the powerline adapter because the wifi network coming from my modem/router does the same thing. I never noticed our other router dropping, which is a little confusing to me though.

So, should I replace any of these components? For the more experienced bunch of you, does this sound like something that new hardware would fix, or does it sound more like a problem with my ISP (Comcast)?

If I were to replace my modem, would I even be able to since my dad is paying to rent one from the cable company?

You should double check and make sure both routers are losing connection when you lose it. That will help you figure out where the problem lies.

You can probably replace the modem, but you'll have to buy your own and make sure it's compatible with Comcast's network. In some places Comcast uses proprietary hardware and in others they use standardized DOCSIS modems. If they are using DOCSIS compatible hardware, you'll probably need DOCSIS 3.0. You can find more information out from them by contacting their, albeit generally horrible, customer support. If they're using proprietary hardware, it's unlikely that you can replace it yourself.

You can check the modem logs (192.168.100.1) or router logs (192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or even sometimes 192.168.10.1) and see the uptime or when it actually rebooted. Most of the time, you are able to use your own modem and save on the montly modem rental fee, but you will have to check with your isp.

3 hours ago, Virtual01 said:

Here's my scenario: The router and modem in my house are both 5+ years old. My modem is the shitty modem/router that my dad rents from the cable company and my router is an old netgear n600 (no idea why we have 2 routers). I currently have my PC hardwired via a powerline adapter, which gives me about 6x more speed than using my wifi and I'm quite happy with it. The problem is this: At random times my internet will completely drop out for about 3 minutes. The frequency of this happening depends on the day, but it happens at least once per day, usually more.

I know this isn't a problem with the powerline adapter because the wifi network coming from my modem/router does the same thing. I never noticed our other router dropping, which is a little confusing to me though.

So, should I replace any of these components? For the more experienced bunch of you, does this sound like something that new hardware would fix, or does it sound more like a problem with my ISP (Comcast)?

If I were to replace my modem, would I even be able to since my dad is paying to rent one from the cable company?

The only reason you cant buy a modem is if you have phone service too. Because that requires a special modem in which Comcast has made it a bitch to get one retail. Alternatively you could take the Comcast modem to the nearest Comcast office and trade it in for a new one. 

Firstly you need to check your modems logs as @kurahk7 has pointed out above. You need to check your signal and make sure your good. Signal can change, normally this is due to temperature, basically the Coax on the poles contracting and expanding. If you signal is good then it could be your modem. If you buy a modem  you will save the rental fee witch in my area is $10 a month. I would honestly suggest getting your own modem and not giving them bastards an more of your hard earned money (Well your dads hard earned money). 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The only reason you cant buy a modem is if you have phone service too. Because that requires a special modem in which Comcast has made it a bitch to get one retail. Alternatively you could take the Comcast modem to the nearest Comcast office and trade it in for a new one. 

Firstly you need to check your modems logs as @kurahk7 has pointed out above. You need to check your signal and make sure your good. Signal can change, normally this is due to temperature, basically the Coax on the poles contracting and expanding. If you signal is good then it could be your modem. If you buy a modem  you will save the rental fee witch in my area is $10 a month. I would honestly suggest getting your own modem and not giving them bastards an more of your hard earned money (Well your dads hard earned money). 

How exactly do I check my logs?

2 hours ago, Virtual01 said:

How exactly do I check my logs?

Go to your web browser and go to 192.168.100.1. Then go to signal. Go here to check if your signals are good. Compare your signals to that webpage. If anything is off then that could be the issue.  

Downstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 11  12  13  14  15  16 
Frequency 645000000 Hz  651000000 Hz  669000000 Hz  675000000 Hz  681000000 Hz  687000000 Hz  693000000 Hz  699000000 Hz 
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB  37 dB  38 dB  38 dB  39 dB  38 dB  39 dB  39 dB 
Downstream Modulation QAM256  QAM256  QAM256  QAM256  QAM256  QAM256  QAM256  QAM256 
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
0 dBmV   0 dBmV   1 dBmV   1 dBmV   1 dBmV   1 dBmV   1 dBmV   1 dBmV  

Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 58  57  59 
Frequency 27900000 Hz  34800000 Hz  21000000 Hz 
Ranging Service ID 14883  14883  14883 
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec  5.120 Msym/sec  5.120 Msym/sec 
Power Level 47 dBmV  49 dBmV  47 dBmV 
Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM

[3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM

[3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM

Ranging Status Success  Success  Success 

Signal Stats (Codewords) Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 11  12  13  14  15  16 
Total Unerrored Codewords 11196315168  19786223957  19786228639  19786226091  19786232430  19786200209  19786203248  19774025682 
Total Correctable Codewords 1697  1069  3047  13992  17382  17566  15681  2012612 
Total Uncorrectable Codewords 2282  981  2813  2800  1906  2847  2894  10191241 

Here is an example. 

36 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

snip

They seem ok. I just have to wait for it to drop, which ironically enough hasn't happened yet today.

Ok here's something interesting. I just got two drops and turns out if I open the menu to change my network adapter settings and disable/enable my ethernet connection, it fixes itself right away. Additionally, the uptime counter on my network webpage didn't reset when my internet dropped.

What could this mean?

Which router are you plugged in to? 

I would say if all devices are having issues then its the router. If only one is having issues then it has to be something with the machine such as a network card going bad. Maybe take your second router out of the equation and see what happens. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Which router are you plugged in to? 

I would say if all devices are having issues then its the router. If only one is having issues then it has to be something with the machine such as a network card going bad. Maybe take your second router out of the equation and see what happens. 

I'm plugged into the modem/router from the cable company. I'll try unhooking my second router and report back tomorrow.