GPU POWER CONSUMPTION ON 104% WTF

SeeFights

My friends GPU is at 104% power consumption and staying at 70oC and he has a 970 any help. this happens when playing the witcher 3

If the card is overclocked and the powerlimit is raised, then it is perfectly normal.

I5 4470     -     Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo    -    Asus Strix GTX960    -    12Gb ram    -    Adata SP600 128Gb    -    Seagate 2Tb    -    AsRock Fatal1ty B85 Killer    -    Seasonic M12II EVO 520        

IN WIN 703    -     Dell P2414H    -    LG Flatron M197WDP    -    CMSTORM Quickfire XT with MX blue's    -    Logitech  G502

"To finish first, you first have to finish"

Just now, spark12072001 said:

If the card is overclocked and the powerlimit is raised, then it is perfectly normal.

but he has never Overclocked it

It is overclocking I guess. It uses 104% Power, means that there is an extra 4% power draw so, the voltage gets higher as current stays the same. I guess it is auto-overclocking.

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

It might just be giving itself a power boost to help with the added load or cooling capacity

Just now, annoyingmoments said:

It is overclocking I guess. It uses 104% Power, means that there is an extra 4% power draw so, the voltage gets higher as current stays the same. I guess it is auto-overclocking.

WTF i have never heard of "auto-overclocking"

2 minutes ago, SeeFights said:

they call it gpu boost or something

Woo!

Just now, Wiflare said:

they call it gpu boost or something

oh ok thats better

1 minute ago, SeeFights said:

Depending on your/his GPUs vendor, there might be a feature made by them, so if the GPU is under load it will overclock itself by programming to give a pint of extra perfomance and therefore (in theory) a better gaming experience. Similar to "Turbo Boost" on CPUs. Or it is just overclocked by the vendor at default settings.

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

There are 2 clocks stated on the card.. the base and the boost clock. If the cards algorythims detect there is spare TDP to be used, it will boost clocks and power to meet that target.

It's kinda overclocking.. it's more to do with viriable clocks than overclocking... The cards work these days by having a sey of limits and rules and they work within these to judge how much GPU power to give.. eg when your on the desktop and idle, the clocks drop significantly.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

GPU Boost. Does it by itself if thermals allow for it.

should he be worried about the 70oC

Not even a little bit.

SilentOcean

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Nope.

ok thanks, i only asked because i have a 960 and i never see those numbers but my friend has a 970 and we got worried

1 minute ago, annoyingmoments said:

Not even a little bit.

when should he be worried

3 minutes ago, SeeFights said:

83°C is the limit when the GPU will start to throttle to cool down

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

Beginning with the 85+ degrees Celsius I would watch out, as there might be something wrong.

SilentOcean

41 minutes ago, SeeFights said:

Most cards actually aim for 75–80°C in their stock configuration these days. And if they don't get that hot, they clock themselves up until they do (or until they hit the limits of GPU Boost, whichever comes first). If it would go over the temperature target, it should clock itself down.

If your friend really doesn't want it to behave that way, he could install MSI Afterburner and set his own power target to 100%. There's no reason to do so, though.