Which Type of Internet is Faster

RandomRestore

Which type of Internet is faster? Cat5 50ft cable directly attached to router. Or Cat5e cable attached to a phone line adapter(w/ one built-in Ethernet jack) that is connected to the router with Cat5 50ft cable. I guessing the Cat5 50ft cable directly attached to router, right? So here is my real question, how much faster is it really? By the way, I'm going to be using the internet for online gaming, and video editing and rendering(but I don't think that video editing or rendering uses internet).

Don't hesitate to leave even the slightest of your thoughts, all replies are greatly appreciated, and thank you for even stopping by, and reading.

CPU: AMD A8-6600K 3.9GHz(OCed to 4.5GHz) Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI A88XM-E45 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory 
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 120GB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Dual FTW ACX Video Card
Case: Silverstone TJ09-BW ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

cat 5 maxes out at 100 megabits cat 5e is good for a gigabit. What is a phone line adapter?

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

Bad question, there are no types of "internet". /s
I would guess router.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I assume you mean Ethernet cables? Cat5 is capped at 100Mbits, and based on your needs it sounds like you'll need gigabit Ethernet. So, go for Cat5e cable.

11 minutes ago, Luc401 said:

cat 5 maxes out at 100 megabits cat 5e is good for a gigabit. What is a phone line adapter?

Where you plug in the landline phone to the wall. Most newer phone plugs use Cat5e to deliver the signal to the phone, but wired for RJ11 instead of RJ45. Although, all the Cat5e wires are still there.

What type of network connection you have does not influence your home internet connection as such. Like if you have 80/20Mbps from your ISP, having a better than gigabit speed on your home network won't make it faster than what you have chosen to get or the max speed you can get down your line I mean. If you're experiencing problems with your home network not giving you the ISP rated speeds, it could be due to the ISP itself, or some of your equipment that you use to network your devices to the internet aren't working properly... or that your device itself isn't functioning as it should.

In your case, you need to find out what you can get at max down your pipe from the ISP service to know whether you will be able to online game/stream etc OK or not.... But anyway yes a 50ft ethernet cable directly jacked in to the router and PC will give you your best shot if that's the closest you can get it.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini