Vector or 840 pro 120Gb?

lautaro_busto

hello, im  going to change my old vertex (allready give it to my sister :D ), and  have 2 options, which should i pick?  assuming they cost the same, i want really performance on softrware and OS, NOT GAMES( games on HDD)

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-7PD128BW

VS

http://ocz.com/consumer/vector-7mm-sata-3-ssd

both on 128 Gb versions. 

Just had my Vector fail on me this week, so 100% 840 Pro.

Coolermaster HAF 932 | Intel i7 4770k  | Corsair H100i | 16GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance | PowerColor 7970 | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Corsair HX650 | Dell U2713HM , U2312HM

Samsung 840 Pro 128gb|  9tb Storage |  CMStorm Quickfire rapid (Cherry Blue) | SteelSeries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Siberia | Logitech G51| Xonar DX| Sennheiser HD518|

~Duck Duck Goose!~

840 or 840 EVO, whichever is cheaper (most likely 840)

840EVO

Do you people even read the questions...?

He wanted to know out of those two... Not other alternatives.

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

hello, im  going to change my old vertex (allready give it to my sister :D ), and  have 2 options, which should i pick?  assuming they cost the same, i want really performance on softrware and OS, NOT GAMES( games on HDD)

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-7PD128BW

VS

http://ocz.com/consumer/vector-7mm-sata-3-ssd

both on 128 Gb versions. 

Whichever is cheaper.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

840 pro

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

Yea but we are recommending him a better one

But it technically isn't... Price/performance yes the 840 is better but the 840 pro will still win out reliability and speed.

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

The 840 non pro or the 840evo well be fine no need to spend the extra money :)

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

But it technically isn't... Price/performance yes the 840 is better but the 840 pro will still win out reliability and speed.

Sorry for bringing this back, but I was away and I feel the need to point this out : it's better on paper, period. You wouldn't even notice the difference between the two, even though there's one.

(we're not trying to pretend they are the same, the 840 Pro is faster, but the average person for everyday usage wouldn't notice it)

840 and 840 EVO are crap.

Uses cheap USB drive memory chips: TLC.

It's the only SSD's on the market using those chips

It's fine if you don't write intensively on your system, like a computer you used most for web surfing and gaming.

But i would not trust it with sensitive data after the warranty.

Any 5 year warranty, uses synchronous MLC SSD, which support so much writes, you can trash them of writes like no tomorrow and will pass 9 years easy, hence the longer warranty. They are also faster, and benchmarks reflects better real world performance.

The rest are asynchronous MLC SSD, which sit in between the 2 mention above.

So it depends on your budget and needs.

840 and 840 EVO are crap.

Uses cheap USB drive memory chips: TLC.

It's the only SSD's on the market using those chips

It's fine if you don't write intensively on your system, like a computer you used most for web surfing and gaming.

But i would not trust it with sensitive data after the warranty.

Any 5 year warranty, uses synchronous MLC SSD, which support so much writes, you can trash them of writes like no tomorrow and will pass 9 years easy, hence the longer warranty. They are also faster, and benchmarks reflects better real world performance.

The rest are asynchronous MLC SSD, which sit in between the 2 mention above.

So it depends on your budget and needs.

Could you clarify on what you mean? If you're saying both are bad, what's an example of a good one?

Error: 410

Sorry for bringing this back, but I was away and I feel the need to point this out : it's better on paper, period. You wouldn't even notice the difference between the two, even though there's one.

(we're not trying to pretend they are the same, the 840 Pro is faster, but the average person for everyday usage wouldn't notice it)

But that's not the point... He asked out of these two drives specifically which one would be faster.

You guys just completely ignored that point to, if you where so intent on recommending it though you should have said "yeah, the 840 pro is faster out of the two although the 840 is much better value and you won't notice the difference."

But that's not the point... He asked out of these two drives specifically which one would be faster.

You guys just completely ignored that point to, if you where so intent on recommending it though you should have said "yeah, the 840 pro is faster out of the two although the 840 is much better value and you won't notice the difference."

So, if someone asks wether he should get the ASUS 760 or Gigabyte 760, we're not allowed to recommand him a 7950 instead? Even if it's a better value, very similar performance and that he will save money?

I don't think the sole objective of this forum is to answer the question, it's also giving an opinion that will benefit the OP, by making him save money.

(I did say recommand, there are always things to consider, but still)

Maybe that's just me pusing it to far, but if I was the OP I would like that people help me save money. 

Could you clarify on what you mean? If you're saying both are bad, what's an example of a good one?

Well, it's more that the 840 / 840 EVO is not for everyone... I'll gladly have no trouble to put it on my Mom or Dad computer, or media center, or on a user that mostly web surf, and I am sure it will be fine after 3-4 years. But to a person that downloads a lot, install/uninstall a lot of games on it over the years, I would not trust it after 3 years with sensitive data.

All other SSD is fine in terms of durability (of course, assuming no manufacture errors, but that applies to everything).

For most people, here on this forum, ignoring the fact that some people will or just want to get the fastest SSD, an asynchronous MLC SSD is perfect for them. They are all the other SSDs, like the Samsung 830, OCZ Agility, Corsair Neutron, Corsair LS, Force 3, Crucial M series, etc...

As for synchronous MLC SSD, they are all 5 year warranty SSDs, so for example: Corsair Force GS/GT, Neutron GTX, OCZ Vertex 4, OCZ Vector, Samsung 840 Pro, 830 Pro, etc.

Well, it's more that the 840 / 840 EVO is not for everyone... I'll gladly have no trouble to put it on my Mom or Dad computer, or media center, or on a user that most web surf, and I am sure it will be fine after 3-4 years. But to a person that downloads a lot, install/uninstall a lot of games on it over the years, I would not trust it after 3 years with sensitive data.

All other SSD is fine in terms of durability (of course, assuming no manufacture errors, but that applies to everything).

For most people, here on this forum, ignoring the fact that some people will or just want to get the fastest SSD, an asynchronous MLC SSD will is perfect for them. They are all the other SSDs, like the Samsung 830, OCZ Agility, Corsair Neutron, Corsair LS, Force 3, Crucial M series, etc...

As for synchronous MLC SSD, they are all 5 year warranty SSDs, so for example: Corsair Force GS/GT, Newtron GTX, OCZ Vertex 4, OCZ Vector, Samsung 840 Pro, 830 Pro, etc.

Ah, I see what you mean now. Would you think that a RAMdisk for temporary storage to reduce writes (on a PC that never turns off) would be better with the 840 EVO instead of putting that RAM money towards a 840 pro?

I figured it can't be all that bad, the 840 was independently tested to last 3x it's rated life.

Error: 410

When I tried RAM disk with my HDD, I saw 0 performance difference. It worked on programs I don't use often, and gave me somewhat SSD speeds, but on frequently used program I haven't, as Windows SuperFetch (Vista and up feature) does that already. In fact, what's cool with SuperFetch, is that the RAM taken by SuperFetch isn't reserved. If programs needs it, it will free some space instantly, so it shares well. Now maybe I didn't set it up right, but the only thing that really said "WOW look at the speed", is doing benchmark software. Out side of that, performance wasn't as good as a nice SSD.

That is my personal observation, and opinion. I guess the best thing for you to do, is test it out for yourself. I am sure you can get 1GB or half a GB to give it a spin for a moment, and see how it goes with some programs.

So, if someone asks wether he should get the ASUS 760 or Gigabyte 760, we're not allowed to recommand him a 7950 instead? Even if it's a better value, very similar performance and that he will save money?

I don't think the sole objective of this forum is to answer the question, it's also giving an opinion that will benefit the OP, by making him save money.

(I did say recommand, there are always things to consider, but still)

Maybe that's just me pusing it to far, but if I was the OP I would like that people help me save money.

I completely agree with the fact that you should state better alternatives if it will benefit the OP, I was more so trying to say you should answer the question and then state a better alternative...

"the gigabyte 760 has a higher clock speed and better cooler so it would in most cases perform better although for a lower price you could get a 7950 that will outperform the 760 on almost every situation and comes with free games"

well i already went for the 840 pro.   in a few days it will arrive. its late  on my country so tomorrow  im gonna quote and ansewer some posts that i dessagree  ;)