Best Home Multiple-Acess Point Solution (on a budget)

dricha36
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
5 hours ago, dricha36 said:

Just added floor plan. Would you also recommend the UAP-AC-LITE? Any devices that need fast speed have been hardwired - the WiFi is for browsing and basic streaming only. As such, it looks like the LITE offers the same features as the PRO just lower throughput - is that correct?

Also - any recommendations for an outdoor ubiquiti AP?

Lastly - Do you think these would provide enough range that I may only need two APs across the three floors?

Thanks for the help, man!

1. The Lite's are basically a cheaper lower performance version - lower quality radio, they're not suitable for outdoor use like the Pro, use proprietary 24v PoE and in general aren't as good.
  2. Outdoor - can use UAP-AC-Pro's.
  3. No - you'd need minimum 1 per floor for good coverage.

While I've installed and setup all kinds of APs working as a network tech, I've never had to worry about cost. Now that I'm looking at my home setup - that has become an important factor! I'm currently running four Cisco WAP610n AP's throughout my house, but they simply aren't cutting it. Roaming is awful, and disconnections are often. 

I'm looking for an economical set of APs that will give me both 2.4 and 5Ghz support, without breaking the bank.  I want a system that will support seamless handoffs between APs and that will allow me to login to a central point of management (I'm not against having a physical wireless controller). I don't need remote management, but easy access from the local network is a must. I've had good luck with Ubiquiti, but I'm open to anything. 

I would much rather get something that is a touch overkill used on eBay or craigslist than get something thats "just OK" brand new.

Any ideas?

I would ideally like to get one AP for each floor of my house (three floors), one outdoor AP, and one AP for my garage (separate building connected over hardline)

EDIT: SUPER rough floor plan   szTMpF6.png

linus has reviewed a bunch, search for them on his channel with the search function

i dont think theyre very cheap though

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

UAP-AC-PRO's with a UniFi CloudKey will solve all your problems provided you've got the budget for it. If you're able to proivide a good quality floor plan, I can give you a basic plan.

1 hour ago, dricha36 said:

While I've installed and setup all kinds of APs working as a network tech, I've never had to worry about cost. Now that I'm looking at my home setup - that has become an important factor! I'm currently running four Cisco WAP610n AP's throughout my house, but they simply aren't cutting it. Roaming is awful, and disconnections are often. 

I'm looking for an economical set of APs that will give me both 2.4 and 5Ghz support, without breaking the bank.  I want a system that will support seamless handoffs between APs and that will allow me to login to a central point of management (I'm not against having a physical wireless controller). I've had good luck with Ubiquiti, but I'm open to anything. 

I would much rather get something that is a touch overkill used on eBay or craigslist than get something thats "just OK" brand new.

Any ideas?

I would ideally like to get one AP for each floor of my house (three floors), one outdoor AP, and one AP for my garage (separate building connected over hardline)

Just added floor plan. Would you also recommend the UAP-AC-LITE? Any devices that need fast speed have been hardwired - the WiFi is for browsing and basic streaming only. As such, it looks like the LITE offers the same features as the PRO just lower throughput - is that correct?

Lastly - Do you think these would provide enough range that I may only need two APs across the three floors?

5 hours ago, dricha36 said:

1. The Lite's are basically a cheaper lower performance version - lower quality radio, they're not suitable for outdoor use like the Pro, use proprietary 24v PoE and in general aren't as good.
  2. Outdoor - can use UAP-AC-Pro's.
  3. No - you'd need minimum 1 per floor for good coverage.