General Ebay advice on listing an item

Maskot

I'm not asking anyone to buy it, or look at it or anything, I just want an experienced opinion.  I have a late 2009 27" iMac, unfortunately, (intel Core 2 Duo @3.06GHz with 16GB of memory) replaced hard drive so no chance of a failure as such with this model, all the papers and hardware in the condition you'd expect from a 4 year old computer, nothing major.  I wanted to ask $750-$1000 or there about, but I don't know if I should just put a single price, if I should do an auction, what the starting price should be, or what I should expect.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Do bidding, start at maybe $1000? Macs don't have a sharp depreciation value. What was the original price you paid for it?

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I would say that you should start at 800 USD and then have an auction :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

I would start up around $800, but offer a 'buy it now' option and allow people to place offers too :)

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

Do bidding, start at maybe $1000? Macs don't have a sharp depreciation value. What was the original price you paid for it?

$1900 including the ram and replaced hard drive.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Keep in mind that with an item that big, heavy and fragile, shipping is going to cost a significant amount, and buyers will take that into account when deciding how much to bid/spend. Figure out your shipping options and costs before you list it. You could also try your local Craigslist/Kijiji and sell it locally, and resort to eBay if that doesn't generate any interest (or reasonable offers).

Well it's a core 2 duo and the base imac with the fancy edge screen starts at $1300. 

If it is in flawless condition I would say up to $900 easily. Start at maybe $650-700 to get people interested?

Does no one here know how to use eBay.

3 biggest turn offs on an auction are:

High starting price

Reserves

High shipping

Start it around 200-300, you have a better chance at getting 800-1000 as about 75% of the viewers will scroll past a mac that expensive starting bid with no bids.  I wrote an indepth eBay/Craigslist guide somewhere here awhile ago, look around for it.

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

I'd set a reserve of about 700 and start it a a penny.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Start at 500 MIN to guarantee to be closer to the amount you want. Right now iMacs are selling for $7-800 on eBay if you're lucky so don't expect to much. You might have better luck doing it on a local classified site as eBay tends to go on the cheap side. I sell on average 15-25 systems including macs on eBay a week and they go very cheap, very little profit.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

I'd set a reserve of about 700 and start it a a penny.

Reserves turn away 7 out of 10 potential buyers from even clicking the ad, bad idea

Start at 500 MIN to guarantee to be closer to the amount you want. Right now iMacs are selling for $7-800 on eBay if you're lucky so don't expect to much. You might have better luck doing it on a local classified site as eBay tends to go on the cheap side. I sell on average 15-25 systems including macs on eBay a week and they go very cheap, very little profit.

Lower starting bids gets more traffic and generally nets higher totals in the end.  Just make sure you end it during prime time, 9pm EST Sunday.  I'd say start it max 300.

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

I'm not asking anyone to buy it, or look at it or anything, I just want an experienced opinion.  I have a late 2009 27" iMac, unfortunately, (intel Core 2 Duo @3.06GHz with 16GB of memory) replaced hard drive so no chance of a failure as such with this model, all the papers and hardware in the condition you'd expect from a 4 year old computer, nothing major.  I wanted to ask $750-$1000 or there about, but I don't know if I should just put a single price, if I should do an auction, what the starting price should be, or what I should expect.

Is eBay your only option? Because eBay is open and people are more tech savy, you can usually estimate a price based on previous eBay sales. In addition shipping is a risk, costly, as is insurance and the new and crafty ways both eBay and people try to scam you and brutally shaft the seller.

Is local not an option at all? Often on CL you can find people that are too dull to care about specs and oblivious of what it's actually worth but will buy it because its a nice looking iMac.

Being a seller with no ratings also is a disadvantage when selling, right?

Personally I wouldn't buy anything that expensive from someone without enough positive history, but eBay might cover purchases like these under that clusterhump of a policy named BuyerProtect or whatever the f it's called.

Error: 410

Is eBay your only option? Because eBay is open and people are more tech savy, you can usually estimate a price based on previous eBay sales. In addition shipping is a risk, costly, as is insurance and the new and crafty ways both eBay and people try to scam you and brutally shaft the seller.

Is local not an option at all? Often on CL you can find people that are too dull to care about specs and oblivious of what it's actually worth but will buy it because its a nice looking iMac.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything that expensive from someone without enough positive history, but eBay might cover purchases like these under that clusterhump of a policy named BuyerProtect or whatever the f it's called.

CL looks... shady.

CL looks... shady.

Depends a lot on where you live I guess. I sell all my useless crap and things I know are about to die on there.

Price gouging outdated hardware on CL seems easy enough.

Error: 410