Microsoft demonstrates Halo 4 streaming from the cloud to Windows and Windows Phones

Gunzkewl

Microsoft is building its own cloud gaming service. Company officials demonstrated a prototype of the service during an internal company meeting today. Sources familiar with the meeting revealed to The Verge that Microsoft demonstrated Halo 4 running on a Windows Phone and PC, both streaming the game from the cloud. We're told that the concept service runs smoothly on both devices, and that Microsoft has managed to reduce the latency on a Lumia 520 to just 45ms.

We understand that Microsoft is building the service as a way to stream games to its Windows devices. Microsoft's demonstration included a Windows Phone with a Xbox controller attached through an accessory, and a low-end hybrid PC. 

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/26/4774418/microsoft-demonstrates-halo-4-streaming-from-the-cloud-to-windows-and

So this is like Gaikai but for Xbox

What is Gaikai?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

What is Gaikai?

Games run on server, video/audio streamed to player, player input sent back to server. With games running on the server, end-user hardware doesn't matter. 

This is the same concept, but Microsoft's own method. Nvidia GRID is the same concept. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

The problem with streamed content is latency, therefore I don't expect myself to use it.

The problem with streamed content is latency, therefore I don't expect myself to use it.

Have you used Kaniy? Its a streaming program that allows the user to stream pc games to their Android device.  I have, and the latency is about that of Shield maybe even less. I couldn't notice any latency. So I think Microsoft could easily out do what a indie developer can do.

Back from the dead....

Have you used Kaniy? Its a streaming program that allows the user to stream pc games to their Android device.  I have, and the latency is about that of Shield maybe even less. I couldn't notice any latency. So I think Microsoft could easily out do what a indie developer can do.

This isn't quite the same. The Shield works within the home network, and is only affected by computers on the same network. SteamOS will also be in-house streaming over LAN or WLAN. 

Cloud gaming works differently - since the games are run on the server, the latency is between the home device and an external datacentre - which can be 100s, if not 1000s of miles away. That latency is significant, and the further away from the datacentre, the worse it gets. You also need to consider how that data gets to you; usually that's done by having intermediate servers, which adds to the latency.   

Microsoft's claim of 45ms latency is promising, provided all users across the globe get access to the streaming service with similar or lower latency. 

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

This isn't quite the same. The Shield works within the home network, and is only affected by computers on the same network. SteamOS will also be in-house streaming over LAN or WLAN. 

Cloud gaming works differently - since the games are run on the server, the latency is between the home device and an external datacentre - which can be 100s, if not 1000s of miles away. That latency is significant, and the further away from the datacentre, the worse it gets. You also need to consider how that data gets to you; usually that's done by having intermediate servers, which adds to the latency.   

Microsoft's claim of 45ms latency is promising, provided all users across the globe get access to the streaming service with similar or lower latency. 

45ms is similar to the latency found on servers on consoles with a mid to lower connection consoles. The average person will notice it, but if 45ms is a slowest it will be, what if its around 20ms for a average connection and 10ms for an amazing connection? I think this is pretty awesome and will eventually get faster and faster as time passes, and Microsoft gets better at streaming the content.

Back from the dead....

what internet speeds are necessary for this to become usable technology?

what internet speeds are necessary for this to become usable technology?

Minimum 10Mbps if you're the only one using the internet at the time. 1080p streamed content takes up most of that depending on the quality. 25Mbps can support 2-3 people all streaming games at the same time. Depending on the game, higher data rates may be needed for smooth gameplay. 

1Gbps Fiber would be the ideal option. 30-50Mbps should be fairly reliable too, which a good number of people have access to in the US. 

Hmm this has the potential to be awesome, but could also be a flop. I hope more game streaming services show up. If the technology becomes good enough then literally anyone will be able to build a pc for streaming games (prosumably with Nvidia Grid) and either stream games to their own devices or have people pay a monthly fee for the computational power.

This could become an opportunity for just about anyone to make money. I hope this becomes a reality.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Can you imagine streaming to say, a Note 3? Or the ultra big xperia Z? That would be crazy.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Bandwidth isn't really the thing limiting this (though it does require a non-trivial amount) so much as latency, and after latency it would be data usage limits though that only affects certain parts of the world and people who try to do this over 4G.

45ms isn't bad, but is certainly noticeable and means what you see is always a few frames behind what you could be seeing if you were actually on-site.

Bandwidth isn't really the thing limiting this (though it does require a non-trivial amount) so much as latency, and after latency it would be data usage limits though that only affects certain parts of the world and people who try to do this over 4G.

45ms isn't bad, but is certainly noticeable and means what you see is always a few frames behind what you could be seeing if you were actually on-site.

Who would try this over 4G? Also, Microsoft can lock down the app to not work while over 4G or 3G networks.

Back from the dead....

Is 45ms really noticeable? its 1/20th of a second. Im more worried that the true latency for the average user will be much higher than that. Imagine upwards of 100ms

Is 45ms really noticeable? its 1/20th of a second. Im more worried that the true latency for the average user will be much higher than that. Imagine upwards of 100ms

If I recall correctly, typical human response time (from inputs through visuals/hearing to actions) is at least 0.15s (150ms) so it's definitely a more significant factor. Only way to really reduce that reaction time is through practice. 

Gameplay-wise, in an MMO setting, I can deal with as high as 200ms latency to the server. Beyond that is when it starts to get frustrating to play. 

If I recall correctly, typical human response time (from inputs through visuals/hearing to actions) is at least 0.15s (150ms) so it's definitely a more significant factor. Only way to really reduce that reaction time is through practice.

Gameplay-wise, in an MMO setting, I can deal with as high as 200ms latency to the server. Beyond that is when it starts to get frustrating to play.

So, as long as they can maintain a latency of less than 100ms, the average user should not notice lag or perceive it as negligible/playable.

I used to play WoW with 150-250 ms and it was not that bad. So for me 45 ms is actually pretty good.

The max amount of latency I can handle is 250 ms because I play a lot of Halo 4 and you can get some people with really bad connections. Therefore 45ms will be pretty usable, and if that is the max I can really see me using this.

Back from the dead....

hmmmm epic 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler