Arctic Accelero Xtreme 3 vs 4?

hello everyone ive been a pc master race person for 2 years now and just recently gotten my hands on a r9 290 that i got cheap from a place like ebay. ive been ussing it for a few months now and so far no issues except for that one mistake i made when i decided to go for a bloody Reference card... you know where this is going... i want to replace the cooler with either the extreme 3 or 4. the only reason why i havent simply just went on and got the 4th edition. is because i have heard that arctic's new way of cooling the vrms with that backplate is retarded?

I like the 3 because of the vrm heatsinks, but the heatsink on the 4 works well. I would buy the 4 and then add more heatsinks to the vrm, best from both worlds ;)

The 3 does not have pwm support, but the 4  has.

is it possible to simply add extra heatsink to the 4rth?

1 minute ago, drtorretz said:

is it possible to simply add extra heatsink to the 4rth?

Yes of course, just be careful with the height of the heatsinks.

Which motherboard are you using? On my board(Micro ATX) The rear heatsink would collide with the ram, so i had to bend some fins, not a problem if you are going ATX.

1 minute ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

Yes of course, just be careful with the height of the heatsinks.

Which motherboard are you using? On my board(Micro ATX) The rear heatsink would collide with the ram, so i had to bend some fins, not a problem if you are going ATX.

i am rocking a normal atx but i do not know if my cpu cooler will be a problem, let me show you

IMG_20160530_213646.jpg

18 minutes ago, drtorretz said:

i am rocking a normal atx but i do not know if my cpu cooler will be a problem, let me show you

IMG_20160530_213646.jpg

No it won't be, you have a lot of room, I had like 1,5 cm from the backplate of my 970 and the cooler lol

s

1 minute ago, Stefan1024 said:

IMHO the backside cooler is great, I DIY'ed a big heat sink to the back of my GPU as well.

so the whine about the extreme 4 is realy just for the sake of whining?

OK guys heres the deal, i went out today to get the 4rth edition of this cooler. and my local pc store did not have it in stock. they ware however selling the 3rd one on a sale. i saved quite abit off money on it. now after ive done some vary long and heavy gaming sassion's i can honestly say. this cooler.. is extremeely beast!!!! under gaming load im capping at around 50c on the gpu and around the same on both vrms.... and im even a tiny bitt overclocked...

Very happy for you, mind telling me whats the noise level of the fans? Idle and under load.

was planning to get one myself.

8 hours ago, drtorretz said:

OK guys heres the deal, i went out today to get the 4rth edition of this cooler. and my local pc store did not have it in stock. they ware however selling the 3rd one on a sale. i saved quite abit off money on it. now after ive done some vary long and heavy gaming sassion's i can honestly say. this cooler.. is extremeely beast!!!! under gaming load im capping at around 50c on the gpu and around the same on both vrms.... and im even a tiny bitt overclocked...

Does it have PWM control?

the noise lvl is so small that i cannot hear it!. and  yes i pluged it straight into the graphics card fan connector. but the noise defrince between 25% and a 100% fanspeed in noise is 0% vary vary amazing.