Last time what should I do?

lonewolf5460

My rig has a fx 8320 and I dont feel like I need more power so I have finnaly settled on keeping this rig for at least another 2 maybe 3 years. Eventually I want to add 32gb but otherwise I am happy with it. I finally got a nice keyboard and mouse only otyther thing is getting a set of studio monitors and a gaming headset. I am seeing lg cuved displays hitting the 500 range and thats when I said I would bite. I just missed on on ebay open box for 550 so I will be buying one very soon. My only worry is I am staring to get into gaming again and I know my r9 380 wont do once I go 1440p. Ill get the display first and I am keeping my 1080p monitor as a secondary so I can game on that temporally till I can afford a gpu upgrade. So I am thinking cheapest option would be another msi r9 380 4gb there is not a lot of info though on a crossfire set up but from what I gather it can just do 60 fps on high at 1440p. So should I get another r9 380 spring for a r9 390 or 390x get a GTX 1070 but I rather stay amd or suck it up for a while and wait for the new polaris cards from AMD. I also would consider going all out and get a GTX 1080 but I really dont know if my CPU can handle that or a 1070. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. I am also planning to replace my motherboard because my current on cant do raid 5 even though it says it can. So any opinions on that also would be nice because an extra bonus would be finally being able to overclock properly.

Inb4 "please add paragraph breaks" and "get rid of the AMD CPU and put in an Intel one with proper single-threaded performance" which I'm going to suggest you do to a T. 

If you get a 1070 then grab an i5 and then save up for a monitor, maybe grab another 1080p model to have two monitors side by side.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

13 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Inb4 "please add paragraph breaks" and "get rid of the AMD CPU and put in an Intel one with proper single-threaded performance" which I'm going to suggest you do to a T. 

If you get a 1070 then grab an i5 and then save up for a monitor, maybe grab another 1080p model to have two monitors side by side.

I dont game too heavy and I want to wait to build a new rig because the next one will be god spec Ill save up 1k plus my tax return next year ill have like 2200 to play with. I am just getting everything else now just bought a really nice keyboard and mouse getting Yamaha studio monitors and a dac and this screen and all the storage stuff now. Then I will build something nice I want a good solution to scrape by for now, which is why I am leaning towards another r9 380. If its not going to bottleneck too bad Ill get a gtx 1080 now and get another when I build the new rig next year, but then Ill be mad because something new will be out then. Thus my problem I dont mind playing on medium for a year till I build my new rig good thing is I already have good stuff for storage cooling case and power. The 2200 will be for a cpu gpus ram and motherboard thats it.

2 minutes ago, lonewolf5460 said:

I dont game too heavy and I want to wait to build a new rig because the next one will be god spec Ill save up 1k plus my tax return next year ill have like 2200 to play with. I am just getting everything else now just bought a really nice keyboard and mouse getting Yamaha studio monitors and a dac and this screen. Then I will build something nice I want a good solution to scrape by for now, which is why I am leaning towards another r9 380. If its not going to bottleneck too bad Ill get a gtx 1080 now and get another when I build the new rig next year, but then Ill be mad because something new will be out then. Thus my problem I dont mind playing on medium for a year till I build my new rig.

A GTX 1080 now would be more powerful than two 380s, for the record.

I would assume you haven't bought the DAC/AMP (do you need both?) yet? If not then grab a Fiio E09K and SMSL Sanskit and be done with that.

What I would do is save your pennies, keep the 380 and 8320, then do an entire platform upgrade when you've got that stash of cash lying around.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

9 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

A GTX 1080 now would be more powerful than two 380s, for the record.

I would assume you haven't bought the DAC/AMP (do you need both?) yet? If not then grab a Fiio E09K and SMSL Sanskit and be done with that.

What I would do is save your pennies, keep the 380 and 8320, then do an entire platform upgrade when you've got that stash of cash lying around.

Thats the plan I bought stuff that can transfer over so it really wont be a full upgrade. It will probably have an intel 10 core 64gb of ddr4 a nvme ssd a good motherboard and a 1080 ti would be out by then and everything else will be from this rig. Thanks for the suggestion on the dac I will look into it I dont need an amp the Yamaha speakers have them built in. I plan to get the monitor first then the dac and speakers, then early next year ill get the real goodies.

2 minutes ago, lonewolf5460 said:

Thats the plan I bought stuff that can transfer over so it really wont be a full upgrade. It will probably have an intel 10 core 64gb of ddr4 a nvme ssd a good motherboard and a 1080 ti would be out by then and everything else will be from this rig. Thanks for the suggestion on the dac I will look into it. I plan to get the monitor first then the dac and speakers, then early next year ill get the real goodies.

Nice, enjoy your goodies! And also, the JBL LSR305 are better speakers (subjective of course, I'm just suggesting my own personal speakers) :P

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Nice, enjoy your goodies! And also, the JBL LSR305 are better speakers (subjective of course, I'm just suggesting my own personal speakers) :P

Ill look into it ill go to guitar center and listen to a few I just heard good thing about the Yamahas but ill give JBL a good listen. Your right Ill have the 1080p monitor as a secondary anyways ill just keep my rig as it is and when I need to game ill do it on that monitor till I upgrade. I love civilization V and I know the r9 380 can handle that at 1440p so that will be nice at least.