5.1 Surround sound works in games but not the web

masonereed
2 minutes ago, masonereed said:

i checked the manual online and it didnt say anything about switching them. :/

Here's another way to tell (unless I'm crazy).  Look on the satellites themselves for any kind of markings, like "L" or "left" or "surround left" - if it has them, you probably can't swap any but if it doesn't, they may be generic after all.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Here's another way to tell (unless I'm crazy).  Look on the satellites themselves for any kind of markings, like "L" or "left" or "surround left" - if it has them, you probably can't swap any but if it doesn't, they may be generic after all.

it doesnt say L or R but the cords which plug into the amp in the subs housing are color cordinated.

14 minutes ago, SSL said:

You should be able to tell it which speakers you have available - unless Logitech went dick mode and doesn't let you interchange the satellites like that.

12 minutes ago, masonereed said:

i honestly think they wont let me switch the rears for the fronts

I've had a couple Logitech speaker systems before, and almost all of the satellite speakers connect via single RCA. The rear satellites and the front left speaker had different length wire and the color of the connector matched what was on the back of the sub. However, the models I had, a 2.1 system and a 5.1 system (I don't remember the model names) the front right (maybe it was left?) speaker had a multi-pin, serial-type connector for the power/volume controls.  Can you take a picture of the connections you have to the sub? If you can get the speakers you have to connect to the front right/left channels, it will work. You can ignore the colors of the plugs/jacks; if they're RCA connections, they're all compatible. If you can't, you need to find the specific speakers for that system to replace the front speakers (check eBay?) or buy a new speaker system.

Just now, masonereed said:

it doesnt say L or R but the cords which plug into the amp in the subs housing are color cordinated.

well that's probably their way of doing it instead of marking them "left" or "right".  I would expect marking on the ports where they plug in because otherwise how would you know which is which, but anything on the speakers or their cables makes me think they're not interchangeable

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They're definitely labelled, but there isn't any reason they shouldn't be interchangeable unless Logitech designened them that way because fuck everyone.

3 minutes ago, SSL said:

They're definitely labelled, but there isn't any reason they shouldn't be interchangeable unless Logitech designened them that way because fuck everyone.

Why would the speakers themselves have to be labeled?  Obviously the ports that they plug into would need to be, but if all the satellites were generic, you should be able to plug any of them into each port, no?

5 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

I've had a couple Logitech speaker systems before, and almost all of the satellite speakers connect via single RCA. The rear satellites and the front left speaker had different length wire and the color of the connector matched what was on the back of the sub. However, the models I had, a 2.1 system and a 5.1 system (I don't remember the model names) the front right (maybe it was left?) speaker had a multi-pin, serial-type connector for the power/volume controls.  Can you take a picture of the connections you have to the sub? If you can get the speakers you have to connect to the front right/left channels, it will work. You can ignore the colors of the plugs/jacks; if they're RCA connections, they're all compatible. If you can't, you need to find the specific speakers for that system to replace the front speakers (check eBay?) or buy a new speaker system.

the top 3 connectors are what plug into my pc

FullSizeRender.jpg

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Why would the speakers themselves have to be labeled?  Obviously the ports that they plug into would need to be, but if all the satellites were generic, you should be able to plug any of them into each port, no?

Because, if any speakers break or get lost (as in this case) you are SOL and have to buy a shiny new z506.

5 minutes ago, masonereed said:

-snip-

Put the black speaker wire into the yellow plug (front left) and the white speaker wire into the red plug (front right) and report back. You can also remove the 'rear' cable from the PC to the sub. You may also need to go into your sound settings and change them to a 2.1 system, but it should still work even without removing the rear channel cable or changing your settings.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

Because, if any speakers break or get lost (as in this case) you are SOL and have to buy a shiny new z506.

... if they are unique and only work when the right speaker is matched to the right port though, correct?  I'm saying if the satellites were all generic, they shouldn't have to be individually labeled for where they go - you would just grab any of the 4, plug it into the, say, "front left" port, and place it in front and to the left of you.  or not...?

3 minutes ago, SSL said:

well this is gay. i just wasted 10$ then. is there anything i can do with them or?

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

... if they are unique and only work when the right speaker is matched to the right port though, correct?  I'm saying if the satellites were all generic, they shouldn't have to be individually labeled for where they go - you would just grab any of the 4, plug it into the, say, "front left" port, and place it in front and to the left of you.  or not...?

Yes, that is how it should be, assuming the speakers are physically identical. This appears to be the case here, so the conclusion is that the markings are to screw people.

1 minute ago, masonereed said:

well this is gay. i just wasted 10$ then. is there anything i can do with them or?

Target practice, maybe? Might be worth contacting logitech to see if it's possible to buy a replacement speaker or whatever.

5 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

Put the black speaker wire into the yellow plug (front left) and the white speaker wire into the red plug (front right) and report back. You can also remove the 'rear' cable from the PC to the sub. You may also need to go into your sound settings and change them to a 2.1 system, but it should still work even without removing the rear channel cable or changing your settings.

okay i did that but my pc doesnt have a 2.1 sound option

8 minutes ago, masonereed said:

okay i did that but my pc doesnt have a 2.1 sound option

Ahh, I thought there was a 2.1 option in the Windows settings; it's just stereo, quadraphonic, 5.1 and 7.1. Did you try playing any audio through it anyways? You can leave it on 5.1 and see if it works at least.