5.1 Surround sound works in games but not the web

masonereed

So i have 5.1 surrond sound speakers hooked up ( yes they are all in correctly) and it works perfectly fine in battlefield 4. But when I go onto youtube and play music all the sound only comes through the subwoofer. How to i get it so it is surround when on youtube and what not. WHen i do an audio test all speakers emit their noise. So the speakers work in games and when tested but just not on the web. How do I get it top work on everything?

As far as I know youtube is actually only stereo, so even if you solve this you will not get surround.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Something isn't set up correctly if non-surround material is being routed through the subwoofer.

3 minutes ago, SSL said:

Something isn't set up correctly if non-surround material is being routed through the subwoofer.

could it be that there are not the 2 front speakers in the system?

There is a very limited "supply" of 5.1 surround content digitally.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

3 minutes ago, masonereed said:

could it be that there are not the 2 front speakers in the system?

Come again?

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Come again?

i do not have the two front ) left and right) speakers plugged into the amp. but i have the center the sub and the left and right rear

1 minute ago, masonereed said:

i do not have the two front ) left and right) speakers plugged into the amp. but i have the center the sub and the left and right rear

So what ARE they connected to?

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

So what ARE they connected to?

what is what connected to? i have the logitech x540, everything is hooked up except the front speakers to my PC

what is what connected to? i have the logitech x540, everything is hooked up except the front speakers to my PC

What are the front left and right speakers connected to? Answer.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

What are the front left and right speakers connected to? Answer.

nothing i dont have the front right and left speakers at all

2 minutes ago, masonereed said:

might I ask where they are? since that kit from Logitech definitely comes with them

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, masonereed said:

So... that's the problem.

Just now, SSL said:

I think I agree - I believe the surround is setup perfectly, and thus, when you try to play anything that's only in stereo, it goes only to the 2 non-existent speakers (and the sub for some reason) and you hear nothing.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

but why do the rest of them work then

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

might I ask where they are? since that kit from Logitech definitely comes with them

i got the kit at a garage sale for 10$.the for a 300$ kit i think i got a good deal ;) the l and r were not with the kit

but why do the rest of them work then

Because content that works in surround (like you game) is sending signals to all speakers, and it's filling in enough that you don't realize you're missing 2 channels entirely.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Because content that works in surround (like you game) is sending signals to all speakers, and it's filling in enough that you don't realize you're missing 2 channels entirely.

will any 2 random front left and right speakers work?

will any 2 random front left and right speakers work?

in theory yes, but you will have to pay attention to how they will connect to your kit physically, and also the impedance, and a bunch of other stuff... I think @SSL is better qualified to guide you through that process.

12 minutes ago, masonereed said:

i got the kit at a garage sale for 10$.the for a 300$ kit i think i got a good deal ;) the l and r were not with the kit

The sattelites all appear to be interchangeable, so you should be able to connect the rears as fronts and at least get proper 3.1.

Other than that, I don't think there is a way to fill this out to 5.1 unless you can source the exact speaker models from Logitech or used from somewhere. Finding another, compatible pair of speakers could be tricky.

6 minutes ago, SSL said:

The sattelites all appear to be interchangeable, so you should be able to connect the rears as fronts and at least get proper 3.1.

Other than that, I don't think there is a way to fill this out to 5.1 unless you can source the exact speaker models from Logitech or used from somewhere. Finding another, compatible pair of speakers could be tricky.

how do i get a 3.1 surrond sound option on my audio manager? and when i plug in the rears in the fronts spots they dont work.

4 minutes ago, masonereed said:

how do i get a 3.1 surrond sound option on my audio manager? and when i plug in the rears in the fronts spots they dont work.

You should be able to tell it which speakers you have available - unless Logitech went dick mode and doesn't let you interchange the satellites like that.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

You should be able to tell it which speakers you have available - unless Logitech went dick mode and doesn't let you interchange the satellites like that.

i honestly think they wont let me switch the rears for the fronts

i honestly think they wont let me switch the rears for the fronts

Might want to check the manual online to confirm, but if this is the case the system is basically useless, unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, SSL said:

Might want to check the manual online to confirm, but if this is the case the system is basically useless, unfortunately.

i checked the manual online and it didnt say anything about switching them. :/