Question about non pwm fans

IcEWoLF

Hi guys, can you control non PWM fans if I connect them directly to my motherboard?

I bought the Riing 140 fans for my case. Right now I have them attached to the fan controller board and my case gives me 2 options, low and high, nothing medium.

yes

as long as your motherboard supports voltage control

which pretty much all in the past 5 years do

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Thanks guys!

Yeah, my motherboard  should be able to do it then since I run the Maximus Hero 8, gonna check it out.

7 hours ago, IcEWoLF said:

Thanks guys!

Yeah, my motherboard  should be able to do it then since I run the Maximus Hero 8, gonna check it out.

Yeah, it can. Check if you have option for DC or PWM for each fan header. That will make things smooth as possible. Also, Asus has great piece of software in Fan Xpert.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Yeah, it can. Check if you have option for DC or PWM for each fan header. That will make things smooth as possible. Also, Asus has great piece of software in Fan Xpert.

Yeah, the Corsair Link software kinda sucks....but it lets me control the led light for my h100i v2.

I am not sure if I use Asus software that I can control the led lights, plus I think it would conflict if I use both softwares.

But it might be a small price to give up to have a really good cooling system.

44 minutes ago, IcEWoLF said:

Yeah, the Corsair Link software kinda sucks....but it lets me control the led light for my h100i v2.

I am not sure if I use Asus software that I can control the led lights, plus I think it would conflict if I use both softwares.

But it might be a small price to give up to have a really good cooling system.

I don't think they will conflict that way. Asus software can only control fans that are directly connected to mobo. Corsair Link might be able to control those fan connected to pump plus things connected to mobo, but I'm not sure as I've never used that software.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

A bit off topic but also on topic. I have Coolermaster sickleflow 120mm fans that require a lot of power, like 4w or something. Is there away I can connect them to my motherboard to control them and still get them to run at their full 2000rpm when things heat up? 

Currently the only thing that runs them properly is the included molex adapters. Not even my other molex adapters run them at full speed.

1 hour ago, The Falcon said:

A bit off topic but also on topic. I have Coolermaster sickleflow 120mm fans that require a lot of power, like 4w or something. Is there away I can connect them to my motherboard to control them and still get them to run at their full 2000rpm when things heat up? 

Currently the only thing that runs them properly is the included molex adapters. Not even my other molex adapters run them at full speed.

I think so, maybe try one of the custom fan softwares.

1 hour ago, IcEWoLF said:

I think so, maybe try one of the custom fan softwares.

What software do you recommend? 
I would rather stay away from SpeedFan

7 hours ago, The Falcon said:

What software do you recommend? 
I would rather stay away from SpeedFan

I heard good stuff about fan Xpert.

To be honest, in my experience I've never seen much of a difference between the low setting (5 V) and the medium one (7 V) neither in term of noise, nor cooling capacity.

14 hours ago, The Falcon said:

Fan power needs are in Amps and voltages. Watts aren't important. Any fan made for PC can be connected to mobo without issues.

As for how to control them. If your mobo is Asus or MSI you can use their own software which is fairly good. AsRock has also stepped up their game there. Sadly last few gens of Gigabytes boards have just rubbish fan control options. So there you are stuck with SpeedFan.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv