why over clock

T8z5h3

hi, i expect to be rosted for my views but i want to have a open and good talk on over clocking.

it is my view that overclocking and even sugesting it as a "normal" thing to do shows:

1. the end user has ether bought a inferer setup or one that almost meets there needs and is using overclocking as a way to gain that last bit that they need.

2.the computer parts are toss aways, the risk of failure is higher but is deemed o.k. because down time only happens to the "other guy"

3.in proper for sight, i have computers that have tooken many changes to get to where they are today but the hardware carrys forward so a power suppy maybe years old but still works perfect.

4. it adds a another level of trubble shooting.

how do you view overclocking? is it worth it? what do you think about before applying a overclock?

Overclocking=Free performance

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

Overclocking = free performance. 

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Overclocking=Free performance

Bro...

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I overclock because I can. it's literally fre performance and you will most likely lear something new if you haven't done it before. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Bro...

wut?

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

There is no reason to not apply an overclock, even just a modest one.

Free performance is...well...free.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I've only done a very moderate overclock, I'm a nervous wreck so I don't think I'll be doing serious overclocks any time soon.  -_-

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

wut?

I swear to god I didn't even copy you, I saw it only after I clicked post :D

I swear to god I didn't even copy you, I saw it only after I clicked post :D

oh, I see. weird coincidence :P

Edit: yaay 500 posts party

stock speed satisfies me

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

oh, I see. weird coincidence :P

Edit: yaay 500 posts party

I got 1000 like party yesterday :P , getting 2000 post party soon..

stock speed satisfies me

Buys an overclocking oriented CPU, paired with an overclocking oriented motherboard. Doesn't overclock. 

mind-blown.jpg

ok, on one hand free performance, but in the case of intel cpu's you have to buy the expensive ones to be able to overclock, and ya have to upgrade ya cooling, so, is it really free? on the gpu side, it is so widely accepted to o'c that with nvidia's gpu boost you dont have to, it overclocks its self. as long as ya learn safe max temps and voltages, and monitor those temps then overclocking is safe. and gives a new aspect of ya rig to be proud of, 

Buys an overclocking oriented CPU, paired with an overclocking oriented motherboard. Doesn't overclock. 

mind-blown.jpg

I don't have an oc friendly cpu, I don't have a oc friendly mobo but I overclocked my cpu :P (from 2.6)

Just a point to some user's who make the statement "free performance". In of itself, you are incorrect. 

Just to state - when you apply even a mild overclock two things happen - you draw/require more voltage and you generate more heat. So, voltage costs money. It might be VERY insignificant, but it is still there. And you now have extra waste heat in your system. Everything needs to run more efficient to exhaust that heat and not to mention that heat in the case can add even just a minor bit of wear of the rest of your components.

That extra voltage though will also put a little extra wear and tear on your CPU, which decreases it's lifespan. Perhaps not enough that it will fail in your usage time frame, but it is there.

So, why do I overclock? Because I have a solution that allows me to and I can get a bit better performance. Does it make a difference? Nope. 9 times out of 10 if your system isn't capable of something, OC'ing it somewhat won't suddenly make it capable.

So, I also do it because I can. Learning more about your system and some of the technical items of how chips and such work is fun,

And as always, the warning - OC'ing CAN destroy components if you are not careful and have adequate cooling. Also, a crappy PSU with unstable voltage can also be very bad to OC'ed components...

Just some thoughts of the day... :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I don't have an oc friendly cpu, I don't have a oc friendly mobo but I overclocked my cpu :P (from 2.6)

Dat overclock! I can't get past 4.9ghz on mine :( I wanted 5ghz so bad :D

Dat overclock! I can't get past 4.9ghz on mine :( I wanted 5ghz so bad :D

poor you. you can't get past 4.9 while others can't get a dual core 

*firstworldproblems* :P

Just a point to some user's who make the statement "free performance". In of itself, you are incorrect. 

Just to state - when you apply even a mild overclock two things happen - you draw/require more voltage and you generate more heat. So, voltage costs money. It might be VERY insignificant, but it is still there. And you now have extra waste heat in your system. Everything needs to run more efficient to exhaust that heat and not to mention that heat in the case can add even just a minor bit of wear of the rest of your components.

That extra voltage though will also put a little extra wear and tear on your CPU, which decreases it's lifespan. Perhaps not enough that it will fail in your usage time frame, but it is there.

So, why do I overclock? Because I have a solution that allows me to and I can get a bit better performance. Does it make a difference? Nope. 9 times out of 10 if your system isn't capable of something, OC'ing it somewhat won't suddenly make it capable.

So, I also do it because I can. Learning more about your system and some of the technical items of how chips and such work is fun,

And as always, the warning - OC'ing CAN destroy components if you are not careful and have adequate cooling. Also, a crappy PSU with unstable voltage can also be very bad to OC'ed components...

Just some thoughts of the day... :)

Damn Whala'! Droppin' some knowledge on these fools! :P

Seriously though, you have a point. Although overclocking really can have benefits, if you build your computer around the concept and use software that can take advantage of it.

mind-blown.jpg

I have a 4770k that I haven't OC'd, although tbf that's mainly because I can't find a stress test that doesn't cause the chip to immediately shoot to 78 degrees despite my Kraken X60... :\

ok, on one hand free performance, but in the case of intel cpu's you have to buy the expensive ones to be able to overclock, and ya have to upgrade ya cooling, so, is it really free? on the gpu side, it is so widely accepted to o'c that with nvidia's gpu boost you dont have to, it overclocks its self. as long as ya learn safe max temps and voltages, and monitor those temps then overclocking is safe. and gives a new aspect of ya rig to be proud of, 

Even if you're going to argue that's it's not free, it's still more performance, and if you're overclocking a 4770k or 3960X it's not like you bought an "inferior" product.

Never killed my cards before when overclocking. If you know what you're doing, you know you won't fry your card. Simple.

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

I dare do all that may become a man.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Simply because it's already included in the product price, would be a waste if you don't do that.

What Whaler said, except:

9 times out of 10 if your system isn't capable of something, OC'ing it somewhat won't suddenly make it capable.

For me the thought process isn't "Oh, I can't run this game (or whatever it may be), maybe if I get an extra few MHz, I can." It's more of a long term time investment in terms of productivity. If I can save a few seconds on compressing files, rendering, etc., I believe it will add up.