Working HDD Not Spinning Up

Vivilacqua1

I tested this drive on another system and it worked perfectly fine, but as soon as I try it in my system I don't hear it spin up and it's not detected in bios. The sata power cable is in correctly, I have tried with other connectors on the same cable as well.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Perhaps the Motherboard sata connections are faulty? Try using other slots if you haven't already and try using other hdd's with the same motherboard (or anything that requires sata). 

I can't use another drive in this because everyone here right now is using their computer. I tried switching sata connectors and no change.

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

7 hours ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

I can't use another drive in this because everyone here right now is using their computer. I tried switching sata connectors and no change.

I suspect it has to do with the motherboard in general. Clear CMOS and update BIOS.

6 hours ago, 2Fast2Quik said:

I suspect it has to do with the motherboard in general. Clear CMOS and update BIOS.

Update: The hdd works when powered with a different psu. Thats one problem fixed

The PSU is probably broken and not giving power to the SATA connectors?

Even if you do not connect SATA data and only SATA power the drive should still spin up.

If it doesn't do that, the power supply is broken.

5 hours ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

Update: The hdd works when powered with a different psu. Thats one problem fixed

Well I'm surprised haha, thought it was the motherboard. Anyways, is there anything else you could need help with.

1 hour ago, 2Fast2Quik said:

Well I'm surprised haha, thought it was the motherboard. Anyways, is there anything else you could need help with.

Well, I did in fact just get a new motherboard, but I still have a problem of having to use my integrated graphics and run games at 900p low in order to stop the monitor from losing signal during gaming on my 980ti. EDIT- the running at 900p and low settings is for a playable fps, not because high on integrated would cause the problem I'm having.

45 minutes ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

Well, I did in fact just get a new motherboard, but I still have a problem of having to use my integrated graphics and run games at 900p low in order to stop the monitor from losing signal during gaming on my 980ti. EDIT- the running at 900p and low settings is for a playable fps, not because high on integrated would cause the problem I'm having.

Have you updated the BIOS or tried different drivers?

1 hour ago, 2Fast2Quik said:

No, once I replace my setup, just came back from a Lan party, I will. They are on latest drivers right now.

4 hours ago, 2Fast2Quik said:

Should I try the latest drivers, or some previous versions?

EDIT- I checked, and I have the latest bios for my motherboard. I tried the 364.41 drivers, and still having the same problem. (The drivers I have been using were up to date until 368.22 EDIT 2- And now I'm getting bluescreens with the code Critical_process_died. K computer.

On 5/30/2016 at 5:22 PM, Vivilacqua1 said:

Should I try the latest drivers, or some previous versions?

EDIT- I checked, and I have the latest bios for my motherboard. I tried the 364.41 drivers, and still having the same problem. (The drivers I have been using were up to date until 368.22 EDIT 2- And now I'm getting bluescreens with the code Critical_process_died. K computer.

Ok, I did some research online for the BSOD. 

http://www.windowswally.com/how-to-fix-the-critical_process_died-error/

Try what it says. Also, if you can, do a repair install (or an in place upgrade). I suspect there might be a windows error causing this. 

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

35 minutes ago, 2Fast2Quik said:

Ok, I did some research online for the BSOD. 

http://www.windowswally.com/how-to-fix-the-critical_process_died-error/

Try what it says. Also, if you can, do a repair install (or an in place upgrade). I suspect there might be a windows error causing this. 

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

After I came back home, I tried the hdd again with my normal psu, and it worked for awhile until it went to bsod. It has not happened again since powering it with my spare psu. Whatever, I'll get to that problem when the time comes. Thanks for helping me out with all this.

As for the gpu problem, any leads? bios is up to date and older/newer drivers don't seem to fix anything. Do you think it could be power related? Mabey the RM 750 is going bad. the fan rarely turned on back when I had an R9 290 and it got pretty hot, and I know it's not the best psu out there.

On 5/30/2016 at 7:49 PM, Vivilacqua1 said:

After I came back home, I tried the hdd again with my normal psu, and it worked for awhile until it went to bsod. It has not happened again since powering it with my spare psu. Whatever, I'll get to that problem when the time comes. Thanks for helping me out with all this.

As for the gpu problem, any leads? bios is up to date and older/newer drivers don't seem to fix anything. Do you think it could be power related? Mabey the RM 750 is going bad. the fan rarely turned on back when I had an R9 290 and it got pretty hot, and I know it's not the best psu out there.

For the gpu I would do a repair install. I really do believe it's a windows error.

5 minutes ago, 2Fast2Quik said:

For the gpu I would do a repair install. I really do believe it's a windows error.

The thing is, is this is my 2nd windows 10 re-install of hoping to get this to work. It worked fine for awhile, but then I stopped using my computer for about a month and came back to it doing this.

EDIT- I have tested the gpu in two other systems and it has worked fine in them.

Try the repair install regardless. A repaiir install heals errors, a fresh install can have such errors. For example my Uncle had an issue where his windows 10 start button didn't work even after a fresh install. I did a repair install and it started working fine. Try it out and let me know the results. If the issue persists I would switch ou the card with another to see if the issue isn't on anyother card.

3 minutes ago, 2Fast2Quik said:

Try the repair install regardless. A repaiir install heals errors, a fresh install can have such errors. For example my Uncle had an issue where his windows 10 start button didn't work even after a fresh install. I did a repair install and it started working fine. Try it out and let me know the results. If the issue persists I would switch ou the card with another to see if the issue isn't on anyother card.

Well, could this be a probem?

This install has only been used for about 2 weeks, and not heavily. barely anything downloaded.Capture.PNG

Do it, try out ur card. Do a repair install if the problem is still there.

14 minutes ago, 2Fast2Quik said:

My stand in psu does not have enough connectors, I'll have to try that out some other time.

Thanks for your help so far, I'll pick this back up in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2016 at 8:03 PM, 2Fast2Quik said:

So I know it's been awhile, but I finally did a complete reinstall of Windows on my computer and I'm still having the same problem of games crashing something on my computer when pushing hard on my system and leaving me with no output, but still being able to hear what's going on and be able to talk on Discord. Any more ideas?

1 minute ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

So I know it's been awhile, but I finally did a complete reinstall of Windows on my computer and I'm still having the same problem of games crashing something on my computer when pushing hard on my system and leaving me with no output, but still being able to hear what's going on and be able to talk on Discord. Any more ideas?

Have you reseated the gpu into another slot?

1 minute ago, 2Fast2Quik said:

Have you reseated the gpu into another slot?

Yep, no luck with that either.

EDIT- I will say that this gpu, RAM, CPU, and HDD work fine in two other systems I have tried them in.

The only culprit left is the motherboard and psu I guess. Have you tried ot upgrade the bios of the motherboard or googled some of the symptoms you are facing along with your motherboard name /model.

1 minute ago, 2Fast2Quik said:

The only culprit left is the motherboard and psu I guess. Have you tried ot upgrade the bios of the motherboard or googled some of the symptoms you are facing along with your motherboard name /model.

I don't know if I posted this yet, but I actually bought a new motherboard with both me and my friends thinking that was the problem. I have checked the bios of this mobo as well, and it is up to date. 

6 minutes ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

I don't know if I posted this yet, but I actually bought a new motherboard with both me and my friends thinking that was the problem. I have checked the bios of this mobo as well, and it is up to date. 

Then the psu is left. Can you try borrowing a friends psu and trying out your system then?