Skylake, Haswell or AMD

I have an i5-6500, and i'm looking for a CPU to upgrade to for overclocking. My question is, should I get the i5-4690k, the i5-6600k or the the FX-8350.

EDIT: My motherboard can't overclock so I don't care if the platform is different or I need a new motherboard.

Edited by bugs399

2 minutes ago, bugs399 said:

I have an i5-6500, and i'm looking for a CPU to upgrade to for overclocking. My question is, should I get the i5-4690k, the i5-6600k or the the FX-8350.

4690k isnt the same platform.

so 6600k is your only choice out of the list.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I know it isn't the same platform, I just was wondering which is the best choice since my mobo can't oc anyways

Just now, SeanAngelo said:

4690k isnt the same platform.

so 6600k is your only choice out of the list.

I would get the 6600k since it's the only thing that wouldn't require a new motherboard

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I would get the 6600k since it's the only thing that wouldn't require a new motherboard

I have a motherboard that won't OC so regardless I'm going to need a new one.

1 minute ago, bugs399 said:

I have a motherboard that won't OC so regardless I'm going to need a new one.

ah.  Well in that case I think it's still the best option ;)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

ah.  Well in that case I think it's still the best option ;)

But the FX-8350 is cheaper, so I was leaning towards that at one point.

4 minutes ago, bugs399 said:

Assuming you game, I would recommend the 6600K. The FX 8350 has much lower single core performance, which in games that often don't use more than 4 cores will suffer from.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I think you'll be much happier with the 6600k; out of the box, it isn't too far behind on total performance (nothing a good OC couldn't fix), and regardless the single threaded performance is much better so games that don't use more than 4 threads will for sure be better in the i5

I think you'll be much happier with the 6600k; out of the box, it isn't too far behind on total performance (nothing a good OC couldn't fix), and regardless the single threaded performance is much better so games that don't use more than 4 threads will for sure be better in the i5

The 6600k seems like the better option, yes but i won't need DDR4 memory also.

The 6600k seems like the better option, yes but i won't need DDR4 memory also.

exactly.  Buying DDR3 for either of your other choices would be another additional cost

exactly.  Buying DDR3 for either of your other choices would be another additional cost

I already have 16GB of DDR3 memory.

8 minutes ago, bugs399 said:

the 6600k will be 100x more better. trust me.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

3 minutes ago, bugs399 said:

I already have 16GB of DDR3 memory.

oh... well, skylake does technically support it... if it's been working I guess stick with it

16 minutes ago, bugs399 said:

EDIT: My motherboard can't overclock so I don't care if the platform is different or I need a new motherboard.

Don't even change from a 6500, it's fine. If you do want more performance, turn RAM down (no XMP, sorry) and turn up BLCK until RAM matches or comes close to the same speed it had before. Linus did that with a Xeon, and he was able to do a 5% overclock on all 18 cores

GTX 1070 - Ryzen 5 3600x - Corsair H100i V2 - 32GB DDR4 3200

Spoiler

Check out my Minecraft channel here!

1 minute ago, PCIsMasterRace said:

Do you even really need to upgrade? The i5 6500 is still a capable gaming cpu.

I want overclocking, and this is more of a thing for the future.

18 minutes ago, bugs399 said:

Wait for Kaby Lake.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

To be honest, I don't think it would be worth it to upgrade from the 6500 to the 6600k considering that you would have to buy a new motherboard, cooler and processor. For the cost, you would be getting minimal performance increases.

What gpu do you have? It would probably be much better to upgrade that instead of the cpu.

3 minutes ago, deviant88 said:

get i7 6700k and new z170 motherboard

What about H170

EDIT: Just found out that there's no overclocking on H170... oops

What about H170

you won't be overclocking with that

Got confused because I beleive you can OC on H81 so I thought H81=H170 but Skylake.

3 minutes ago, bugs399 said:

Got confused because I beleive you can OC on H81 so I thought H81=H170 but Skylake.

as far as I know you always have needed an X or Z chipset (not counting the pentiums since they're weird)