So, I went to Best Buy Today. . .

positivePXL

So, I went a visited my local Best Buy today, and until today, I never really understood the stigma against the Best Buy employee's by the tech community. That was the case at least, until I became a member of the tech community. I like to think of myself as a hardware tech kind of guy, definitely not a monitor guy, but when I went in to look at their selection of monitors and asked for assistance in finding some in particular, well, let us just say that I will not be making that mistake again. Even I outclasses these rep's. Damn. 

I did learn a few things while I was there however. I was originally going to be purchasing a 27" 1080p monitor for my new gaming rig. I ran into some issues when I actually looked at some display models. I immediately noticed the individual pixels from a normal viewing distance; unfortunate. Another thing, on a similar size monitor, I was still able to see the pixels on a 4k display, I've come to the conclusion that it will happen regardless of the definition, and will just stick with 1080p going forward. 

However,

I also saw something scary happen as I looked at full 27" display, and that was that I was moving my head. Now, the rest of you might take this as a given, but as for me? I have always gamed on tiny screens, where everything I need is directly in front of my face and all peripheral information just a flick of my eyeball towards the side of the screen before continuing with the action. Now, I'm sure playing an FPS on a 27" display is great because you get a great field of view, but I don't play FPS's. 

Now, I guess my question is, do you ever get used to it? Moving your head to see peripheral information while gaming? Or should I just go with a smaller format like 21" like I am used to?

positivePXL [+PXL]

The most horrifying things I've seen there were in the TV section, where quite frequently something like a box would be getting crushed into the display hard, and all the colours were coming out.  Don't buy the floor models... xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The most horrifying things I've seen there were in the TV section, where quite frequently something like a box would be getting crushed into the display hard, and all the colours were coming out.  Don't buy the floor models... xD 

Wasn't even going to consider Best Buy, was only stopping in to get an idea of what my preferences were. Definitely gunna buy straight from the supplier or through Newegg.

5 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

Wasn't even going to consider Best Buy, was only stopping in to get an idea of what my preferences were. Definitely gunna buy straight from the supplier or through Newegg.

5 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

If you can, go to a Fry's. They're normally pretty good

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

1 minute ago, UberGamerKing said:

If you can, go to a Fry's. They're normally pretty good

Yah, Fry's is great. 

I live in South Dakota tho ;-;

9 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

Yah, Fry's is great. 

I live in South Dakota tho ;-;

With your location as "'MURICA", it was a bit of a shot in the dark.

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

3 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

With your location as "'MURICA", it was a bit of a shot in the dark.

xD

1 hour ago, positivePXL said:

So, I went a visited my local Best Buy today, and until today, I never really understood the stigma against the Best Buy employee's by the tech community. That was the case at least, until I became a member of the tech community. I like to think of myself as a hardware tech kind of guy, definitely not a monitor guy, but when I went in to look at their selection of monitors and asked for assistance in finding some in particular, well, let us just say that I will not be making that mistake again. Even I outclasses these rep's. Damn. 

I did learn a few things while I was there however. I was originally going to be purchasing a 27" 1080p monitor for my new gaming rig. I ran into some issues when I actually looked at some display models. I immediately noticed the individual pixels from a normal viewing distance; unfortunate. Another thing, on a similar size monitor, I was still able to see the pixels on a 4k display, I've come to the conclusion that it will happen regardless of the definition, and will just stick with 1080p going forward. 

However,

I also saw something scary happen as I looked at full 27" display, and that was that I was moving my head. Now, the rest of you might take this as a given, but as for me? I have always gamed on tiny screens, where everything I need is directly in front of my face and all peripheral information just a flick of my eyeball towards the side of the screen before continuing with the action. Now, I'm sure playing an FPS on a 27" display is great because you get a great field of view, but I don't play FPS's. 

Now, I guess my question is, do you ever get used to it? Moving your head to see peripheral information while gaming? Or should I just go with a smaller format like 21" like I am used to?

positivePXL [+PXL]

for ppi i,d stick to 22-24 at 1080, a 27 id be looking 1440. my eyesight isnt as good as yours, i cant see pixelation at 1080 on my 22's

definitely 24 inch max for 1080p imo. above that the pixel desity is just crap. 27 inch 1440p monitors are beautiful, i just bought one... I'm sure a 25 inch would have been great though also, i'm still adjusting to the size over my 24" 1080p

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 minute ago, Cereal5 said:

definitely 24 inch max for 1080p imo. above that the pixel desity is just crap. 27 inch 1440p monitors are beautiful, i just bought one... I'm sure a 25 inch would have been great though also, i'm still adjusting to the size over my 24" 1080p

My friend's laptop was 2880 x 1620 on a 15" screen... turns out there is such thing as too much pixel density :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

My friend's laptop was 2880 x 1620 on a 15" screen... turns out there is such thing as too much pixel density :P

lol wut. weird resolution and a really weird screen size. too much is definitely a thing --- why I will never buy a 27" 4k monitor

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 minute ago, Cereal5 said:

lol wut. weird resolution and a really weird screen size. too much is definitely a thing --- why I will never buy a 27" 4k monitor

oh yeah, and they started offering a 4K version of the same size shortly after.  He didn't feel like he'd missed out at all :D

3 hours ago, positivePXL said:

However,

positivePXL [+PXL]

If you are moving your head to see any part of the screen, you are sitting too close to the monitor.

6 hours ago, stconquest said:

If you are moving your head to see any part of the screen, you are sitting too close to the monitor.

If I sit too far away though, I won't be able to see details in the frame.

I've been using a 27" monitor my whole life, at 1200p and 1080p. I can't see the pixels on the 1080 or 1200p screens..

While gaming I've never had to move my head as my FOV saw all of the screen and a bit. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 hours ago, positivePXL said:

If I sit too far away though, I won't be able to see details in the frame.

That's the point! :P  First you say they're not as impressive as you though since you can see the pixels, but you don't want to sit so far that they blend together? 

/jk

49 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's the point! :P  First you say they're not as impressive as you though since you can see the pixels, but you don't want to sit so far that they blend together? 

/jk

I'm pretty sure there is a healthy sweet-spot in there, but with a smaller monitor, it think it's just a bit more comfortable.

1 minute ago, positivePXL said:

I'm pretty sure there is a healthy sweet-spot in there, but with a smaller monitor, it think it's just a bit more comfortable.

I think we all know that the perfect monitor is actually like 19200 x 10800 so you can run literally any res you want and it all looks pretty good xD  Remember when Linus was testing that 5K mac and it could only display 4K on windows (i think it was)?  And, it was still pretty good actually.  We're getting there.... :)