STORAGE SOLUTION (just hdd storage, not NAS)

straight to the point, my mobo only has a few satar port, and i need more, i got 3x1tb internal, 1x2tb internal, and 1x1tb external drives, but i need more space, how can i add more drives with only the 4 sata ports that i have? is there a box that has like drive bays in them and that box only uses 1 sata port to run the entire bays? please help, again, this is not for NAS, just storage solution. i dont do anything fancy.

2 minutes ago, NathanCookie said:

straight to the point, my mobo only has a few satar port, and i need more, i got 3x1tb internal, 1x2tb internal, and 1x1tb external drives, but i need more space, how can i add more drives with only the 4 sata ports that i have? is there a box that has like drive bays in them and that box only uses 1 sata port to run the entire bays? please help, again, this is not for NAS, just storage solution. i dont do anything fancy.

A pci sata controller card of some sort.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

I believe you can get add-in cards that will give you more ports.  You could also get a large external USB 3 enclosure, or a networked solution.  A "NAS" doesn't have to be anything complicated or expensive.  It can just be a large external drive accessed over the network :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, NathanCookie said:

Here you go

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Desktop-External-Storage-STDT8000100/dp/B00R45V3SW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464378725&sr=8-2&keywords=8tb+hard+drive

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I believe you can get add-in cards that will give you more ports.  You could also get a large external USB 3 enclosure, or a networked solution.  A "NAS" doesn't have to be anything complicated or expensive.  It can just be a large external drive accessed over the network :)

my mobo only has 1 pcie slot i think, not sure, im in the office right now, its an mini itx so only has 1 gpu and 1 pcie slot if im correct. will that add-in card work on pcie slots?
i dont want externals anymore. i have a very small desk so i dont want them dangling off of the desk. lol

8 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

A pci sata controller card of some sort.

can you specify? any brands you can refer?

my mobo only has 1 pcie slot i think, not sure, im in the office right now, its an mini itx so only has 1 gpu and 1 pcie slot if im correct. will that add-in card work on pcie slots?
i dont want externals anymore. i have a very small desk so i dont want them dangling off of the desk. lol

Oh, then that won't work I guess.  Yes it would be a PCIe card, whatever it is.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, NathanCookie said:

i dont want them to die all at once when the time comes, i will change to multiple 2tb drives in the future

That's was just a joke thing. As signified by the ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) at the end

Roses are red

My name is Roy

can you specify? any brands you can refer?

Something like this maybe? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124152&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=sata_controller-_-15-124-152-_-Product

I haven't put more than 3 or 4 drives in a system for a while now.

1 minute ago, UberGamerKing said:

Actually it's a perfectly legitimate solution imo :)  Obviously with any setup you must have backups, but if you do, having a lot of data on one drive shouldn't be a concern.

2 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

sorry, your profile picture was the same, so i thought it would be a signature of some sort. lol

3 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

Something like this maybe? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124152&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=sata_controller-_-15-124-152-_-Product

The one I posted is the same brand but with 4 ports

Roses are red

My name is Roy

Just now, UberGamerKing said:

The one I posted is the same brand but with 4 ports

yeah so for the OP find one with whatever many ports you need, most of them should work fine.

3 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

this is close to something i need, ill do the rest from here. thank you for your help. ill reopen this topic if i cant find this thing in our country, Ryan_Vickers answer about enclosure was close also, ill go research on your answers.

2 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

yeah so for the OP find one with whatever many ports you need, most of them should work fine.

yeah, or an enclosure like ryan said earlier, im researching for those things now. hope theyre available in our country, philippines. third world, you know, poor and stuff. lol

4 minutes ago, NathanCookie said:

Even most very low end mini itx will have at the least a single PCIe x16 slot, and at least one PCIe x4 slot (the smaller ones). Most PCIe sata controllers will be PCIe x4 cards. Also, I know you said you don't want to deal with external enclosures due to space constraints. But it may be worth considering ways you could mount an external 2-4 bay solution somewhere out of the way (like screwed to the under side of your desk). Beyond that, you're really getting into the territory of needing a NAS for further expansion. Even if it's just an old computer you slap together and shove in a closet. 

so guys, i found this http://www.lazada.com.ph/5port-usb30-hub-pc-pcie-pci-express-erweiterungskarte-controller15p-sata-power-intl-4265162.html it says up to 5 usb 3.0, but what about the port in the pcb? my mobo doesnt have usb 3.0 but my case does, if i hook up my case to that, will it work? and will the 5 port usb 3.0 still work? and would that hdd sata port(i think its sata port) will work? bare with me guys

9 minutes ago, NathanCookie said:

so guys, i found this http://www.lazada.com.ph/5port-usb30-hub-pc-pcie-pci-express-erweiterungskarte-controller15p-sata-power-intl-4265162.html it says up to 5 usb 3.0, but what about the port in the pcb? my mobo doesnt have usb 3.0 but my case does, if i hook up my case to that, will it work? and will the 5 port usb 3.0 still work? and would that hdd sata port(i think its sata port) will work? bare with me guys

That doesn't have any SATA ports on it. One of the ports on the PCB is for power (pretty sure that's a SATA power connector). The other one looks to be a 19 pin USB 3.0 header which would allow you to plug in your cases built in USB 3.0 ports and should work fine.

Edited by Apathetik
Forgot to quote.

4 minutes ago, Apathetik said:

That doesn't have any SATA ports on it. One of the ports on the PCB is for power (pretty sure that's a SATA power connector). The other one looks to be a 19 pin USB 3.0 header which would allow you to plug in your cases built in USB 3.0 ports and should work fine.

yes, it doesnt have any sata ports, but im running out of options here. lol the other pcie cards only has 2 sata ports, and i dont want that, better to have more external than few internal for a far more expensive inferior card. its hard to pick. :(

yes, it doesnt have any sata ports, but im running out of options here. lol the other pcie cards only has 2 sata ports, and i dont want that, better to have more external than few internal for a far more expensive inferior card. its hard to pick. :(

Why pick when you can have both? 2 internal SATA ports, 2 external USB 3.0 ports: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124130&cm_re=PCIe_Sata_III_Host_Bus_Adapter-_-15-124-130-_-Product

2 minutes ago, Apathetik said:

Why pick when you can have both? 2 internal SATA ports, 2 external USB 3.0 ports: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124130&cm_re=PCIe_Sata_III_Host_Bus_Adapter-_-15-124-130-_-Product

ill try to look for that model here. unfortunately, the one im using that have that. I cant just order that right out of newegg also, its too damn costly. lol im in the philippines