Looking for Input on an AM3+, Z77, or Z87 Build

So I have a little project that's nearly finished, but I'm missing three critical components. The motherboard, CPU, and CPU cooler. I'm open to AMD and Intel on this one but there are some important factors that I'm looking for

1: Color scheme: Black and Red. Matte black is acceptable.

2: Form factor: Must be mATX. This build is in a 350D.

3: CPU cooler: Must be an all-in-one 240mm cooler (H100i, H220, etc)

4: Overclocking: I do plan on pushing whatever I get as far as it'll go on the cooler, so a decent mobo would be preferred.

Aesthetics are important on this one and the ideal build (if money wasn't a factor here) would be an Asus VI Gene with a 4670k and an H220. 

Spec List Thus Far (already owned, using an i7-920 as a temporary): 

- MSI GTX 770 Gaming

- Corsair 350D

- Corsair SP and AF quiet edition fans all around

- Corsair AX760

- Corsair 8GB Vengeance Pro

- Kingston HyperX 3K

- WD Caviar Blue 1TB

For those who are still reading, I'll give up an extra copy of Hotline Miami to the person who provides the best deal and or best argument within 24 hours. :)

(Edit: The Hotline Miami copy is now in a giveaway here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60430-hotline-miami-giveaway-courtesy-of-helping/)

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

DON'T GET HASWELL! If you want to over-clock, go for Z77 and an asus ROG board, all AM3+ matx boards suck.

Maximux V Gene and i5 3570K will do amazingly with a Swiftech H220, ROG boards are known for their overclocking prowess, awesome extra features, and the ability to sli on a MATX motherboard, and the H220 is the best AIO 240 liquid cooler out there beating out most 280 radiators. 

That i7 should be fine to wait till next gen if you ask me..

I am a happy wuffy

reserved, will tag later.
@DaftBehemoth

An Asus Z87 Gryphon would be great with a Haswell i5. NZXT Kraken X60 is superior to an H100i, but you seem to be leaning towards brand loyalty, so an H100i should be fine anyway.

AMD is not an option for an mATX build. I feel like you posted a question but already knew the answer?

DON'T GET HASWELL! If you want to over-clock, go for AM3+ or Z77, even though you should go for an AM3+ and an _____ (hold on, I'm looking) board, much cheaper than Z77 and an asus ROG board.

They're comparable chips and pretty much the same price. The Haswell also has less power consumption, processor choice depends on motherboard choice. You won't find an AM3+ build or motherboard because it does not exist unless it's complete trash. You definitely don't need an ROG board to overclock, please refrain from posting speculation or opinion.

Error: 410

If you plan doing OC then go with intel because there arent any good AM3+ mATX boards... What are you even going to do with this pc? Game or video editing or stuff like that?

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

If you intend on creating a mATX build, I would get the Z77 platform as it is a better overclocker than Haswell imo. Haswell depends on the chip that you will get and you may either end up getting a great overclocker chip or a poor one and it runs hotter because of its integrated VRM. The H220 would be the best choice for a cpu cooler imo. Since you want a red and black motherboard, I would get the Asus Maximus V Gene. If you are not planning to SLI, I would get the Seasonic X650. I would change the Caviar Blue to a Seagate Barracuda because they are around the same price and the Barracuda performs better than the Blue.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

970 and 990fx boards only come in mATX, so your stuck with intel for this one mate

Only come in mATX? wut?

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

If you intend on creating a mATX build, I would get the Z77 platform as it is a better overclocker than Haswell imo. Haswell depends on the chip that you will get and you may either end up getting a great overclocker chip or a poor one and it runs hotter because of its integrated VRM. The H220 would be the best choice for a cpu cooler imo. Since you want a red and black motherboard, I would get the Asus Maximus V Gene.

Exactly!

That i7 should be fine to wait till next gen if you ask me..

It's not. It struggles with Battlefield 3, so I want an  upgrade. 

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

If you plan doing OC then go with intel because there arent any good AM3+ mATX boards... What are you even going to do with this pc? Game or video editing or stuff like that?

This is strictly for gaming. I don't need to break benchmarks with the overclocking either. For example, the performance I lose in switching to an FX-8350 might be worth saving $100 if it's possible. Please keep in mind that this isn't my main machine. It doesn't need to compete with my signature rig :P

This is strictly for gaming. I don't need to break benchmarks with the overclocking either. For example, the performance I lose in switching to an FX-8350 might be worth saving $100 if it's possible. Please keep in mind that this isn't my main machine. It doesn't need to compete with my signature rig  :P

Well if we start talking about the price performance... AMD wins heavily but there also aren't any black/red AM3+ mATX boards

reserved, will tag later.

@DaftBehemoth

An Asus Z87 Gryphon would be great with a Haswell i5. NZXT Kraken X60 is superior to an H100i, but you seem to be leaning towards brand loyalty, so an H100i should be fine anyway.

AMD is not an option for an mATX build. I feel like you posted a question but already knew the answer?

They're comparable chips and pretty much the same price. The Haswell also has less power consumption, processor choice depends on motherboard choice. You won't find an AM3+ build or motherboard because it does not exist unless it's complete trash. You definitely don't need an ROG board to overclock, please refrain from posting speculation or opinion.

I did already have a pretty good idea of what I SHOULD get, I was just hoping for a little input from people who might have seen some good deals around or perhaps knew more about the most recent AM3+ boards, which I was just hoping that I wasn't seeing the decent mATX options of, if they don't exist, I guess I'm not interested in AMD :/

I'm not actually interested in brand loyalty, I just chose what I thought were the best options for each part (except for the fans. I just love the Corsair aesthetic on those). I'm very open to the NZXT, Swiftech, Corsair, and Thermalright options for coolers. 

I also completely agree with you on the ROG board. The only reason that one is ideal for this build is because of the perfect red and black theme. 

I did already have a pretty good idea of what I SHOULD get, I was just hoping for a little input from people who might have seen some good deals around or perhaps knew more about the most recent AM3+ boards, which I was just hoping that I wasn't seeing the decent mATX options of, if they don't exist, I guess I'm not interested in AMD :/

I'm not actually interested in brand loyalty, I just chose what I thought were the best options for each part (except for the fans. I just love the Corsair aesthetic on those). I'm very open to the NZXT, Swiftech, Corsair, and Thermalright options for coolers. 

I also completely agree with you on the ROG board. The only reason that one is ideal for this build is because of the perfect red and black theme. 

The Gryphon should be a great board, but if the tan is killing it these are also solid choices:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128601&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157300&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

With an appropriate processor (I still think the difference is negligible, Ivy clocks higher but Haswell performs better clock per clock) the differences are barely worth caring about so you should be set. Each of the boards support at least 8x/8x on 3.0 (approx. 16x 2.0 equiv.) if you so choose multi-GPU setup in the future. You won't be saturating that unless you throw a pair of 290X's in there.

The H220 isn't really worth it. For a similar price after importing, you might as well just build your own loop. Most people don't really acknowledge it since the h100i is more universally compatible, but a 280m rad will fit in a 350D so the x60 will absolutely curb stomp.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6530/closing-the-loop-contained-liquidcoolers-from-corsair-and-nzxt-compared/5

Since you already have nVidia GPU, i suggest you Intel, not because it is better or anything, but because drivers for nvidia GPU's are optimized better for Intel. However, if you have AMD GPU, you can't get wrong with any platform.

With an appropriate processor (I still think the difference is negligible, Ivy clocks higher but Haswell performs better clock per clock) the differences are barely worth caring about so you should be set. Each of the boards support at least 8x/8x on 3.0 (approx. 16x 2.0 equiv.) if you so choose multi-GPU setup in the future. You won't be saturating that unless you throw a pair of 290X's in there.

The H220 isn't really worth it. For a similar price after importing, you might as well just build your own loop. Most people don't really acknowledge it since the h100i is more universally compatible, but a 280m rad will fit in a 350D so the x60 will absolutely curb stomp.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6530/closing-the-loop-contained-liquidcoolers-from-corsair-and-nzxt-compared/5

I agree with you on the H220. As well as on the difference between Ivy and Haswell (I'd even go as far as to say the same for Sandybridge :P). But I did take another look at the AMD motherboards and found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128565

Is there any reason why this wouldn't support an FX-8320? I know it's the lowest end chipset, but it does list support for the FX series (though I'm aware that I'm not likely to get much of an overclock in it).

The reason I mention this is that the total cost would be $210 on Newegg right now.

I agree with you on the H220. As well as on the difference between Ivy and Haswell (I'd even go as far as to say the same for Sandybridge :P). But I did take another look at the AMD motherboards and found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128565

Is there any reason why this wouldn't support an FX-8320? I know it's the lowest end chipset, but it does list support for the FX series (though I'm aware that I'm not likely to get much of an overclock in it).

The reason I mention this is that the total cost would be $210 on Newegg right now.

This will support it but with the 4+1 phase your overclock might be limited by that.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

This will support it but with the 4+1 phase your overclock might be limited by that.

Yeah that's my biggest worry. I'd like to move the clock up just a tad at least... but it looks like some people are having trouble getting their stock clocks to work even lol.

I suppose it could work. For 50$ I can't imagine it having all that great of a VRM design, but at the bare minimum it does have a sink. With that ancient chipset I don't think it will have too many features and you'll have to overclock your ram to get up to 1600. This in addition to what you said, your overclock will be very limited.

You also won't be needing more than a H80i if you get that.

I suppose it could work. For 50$ I can't imagine it having all that great of a VRM design, but at the bare minimum it does have a sink. With that ancient chipset I don't think it will have too many features and you'll have to overclock your ram to get up to 1600. This in addition to what you said, your overclock will be very limited.

You also won't be needing more than a H80i if you get that.

Thank you for your input, Helping. I simply needed someone to bounce ideas on and you lived up to your name. I'm left to ponder on upgrading now on the cheap, or waiting to go all out later. Add me on Steam (at least temporarily) and I'll send your copy Hotline Miami. Gift it to a buddy if you already own it :P

http://steamcommunity.com/id/daftbehemoth/

Thank you for your input, Helping. I simply needed someone to bounce ideas on and you lived up to your name. I'm left to ponder on upgrading now on the cheap, or waiting to go all out later. Add me on Steam (at least temporarily) and I'll send your copy Hotline Miami. Gift it to a buddy if you already own it :P

http://steamcommunity.com/id/daftbehemoth/

Typically waiting is never a bad thing. And I don't even use steam, I built a gaming PC without any time for games.  -_-  Do what you please with it.

Typically waiting is never a bad thing. And I don't even use steam, I built a gaming PC without any time for games.  -_-  Do what you please with it.

Well I said I'd give it away to the forum, so I'll do just that. I'm off to make a giveaway. How would you like me to go about it? (I still think of it as technically your copy ;))

Well I said I'd give it away to the forum, so I'll do just that. I'm off to make a giveaway. How would you like me to go about it? (I still think of it as technically your copy ;))

I guess you could have a number guessing based giveaway Any way you see fit or another less boring way is fine with me :P

I guess you could have a number guessing based giveaway Any way you see fit or another less boring way is fine with me :P

Sounds good enough to me. I like that better than the usual "First Come First Serve" option I go with :)

DON'T GET HASWELL! If you want to over-clock, go for Z77 and an asus ROG board, all AM3+ matx boards suck.

Maximux V Gene and i5 3570K will do amazingly with a Swiftech H220, ROG boards are known for their overclocking prowess, awesome extra features, and the ability to sli on a MATX motherboard, and the H220 is the best AIO 240 liquid cooler out there beating out most 280 radiators. 

Are you crazy? Haswell 4200Mhz is faster than Ivy Bridge 4500Mhz AND THAT'S WITHOUT taking any updated instruction sets/better iGPU etc. into account...

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Are you crazy? Haswell 4200Mhz is faster than Ivy Bridge 4500Mhz AND THAT'S WITHOUT taking any updated instruction sets/better iGPU etc. into account...

But you could get a chip that only does 4 ghz.