Foxconn replaces '60,000 factory workers with robots'

Master Disaster

Being someone who works a menial job that could one day be replaced by a robot I completely understand why it's happening, even besides the monetary benefit. Most of my coworkers who would gladly screw over my boss, who is one of the nicest people I know, and they actually do it on a regular basis. My boss works on a sort of honor system where you tell him your hours and he pays you for that. He doesn't quibble over spending too much time on the job, he thinks you should spend the time to get the job done right and he's fine paying you extra for that, but people take advantage of it, they do a crappy job, get done early, and tell him they finish late. I'm using the money I make to go back to school so I don't have to work this job forever, there are people in their 70s here who have been working the job for 20 years or more who are just fine wasting the money on booze and gambling. So when I hear more and more jobs like mine being replaced by robots I don't get offended and I'm not worried, I get it. Really, this isn't an issue of the evil corporations oppressing the average worker, it's a story of people improving themselves and their businesses while others steadfastly refusing and that's finally catching up with them.

Granted, in China there's less opportunity for improving yourself, that's an issue of their form of government and the people refusing to make their leadership accountable...but here in the US and in many developed countries there's no excuse for essentially being lapped in skill and intelligence by the people creating automatons that can easily replace you.