I'm patiently sitting and staring at a computer screen blankly while waiting for Broadwell-e to launch.

That is if I can even get my hands on a 6800k on the launch date and not have to wait for an extra month for restocking. I'm really hoping the IPC will match the 6700k and perform the same in games, but I guess we'll see in due time. I plan on overclocking it to 4.2ghz so that probably won't matter anyway.... I'm really sick of having a computer from 2012, haha :D.

it will not match the 6700k

it is broadwell not skylake

if youre just gaming then broadwell-e is a waste of time and money

buy a skylake CPU now

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

buy a skylake CPU now

indeed my friend

tried to convince one of my friends this but he was adamant that he needed 6+ cores for gaming

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

buy a skylake CPU now

I do a lot of video editing/photoshop so I prefer the extra cores. Also the 5820k is only slightly slower in games than the 6700k, heck it even beats it in some games that are more CPU bound, I figure the 6800k will fill the IPC gap a little better. hoping anyway....

22 minutes ago, Sparkko said:

I do a lot of video editing/photoshop so I prefer the extra cores. Also the 5820k is only slightly slower in games than the 6700k, heck it even beats it in some games that are more CPU bound, I figure the 6800k will fill the IPC gap a little better. hoping anyway....

it beats the 6700k only in games that use over 8 threads

which is like 5/20000

the 5820k is always worse in anything that uses 8 threads or less due to worse single core performance

and thats something you cant change, it will always have worse single core performance

you can compare the 6700k to a 5770C and you will see skylake still has better core performance than broadwell

btw I do tons of video editing and photoshop on a 4790k and its extremely fast, idk where you got that "i need 2 more cores" idea from

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

which is like 5/20000

the 5820k is always worse in anything that uses 8 threads or less due to worse single core performance

and thats something you cant change, it will always have worse single core performance

you can compare the 6700k to a 5770C and you will see skylake still has better core performance than broadwell

btw I do tons of video editing and photoshop on a 4790k and its extremely fast, idk where you got that "i need 2 more cores" idea from

So salty. With DX12 allowing games to use more than 4 cores any of the 6 core variants are bound to be much more relevant in the future as well. Just thinking ahead here. Yes I'm sure a 6700k build will be perfectly fine with future DX12 games, but I have a feeling the 4 core master race for gaming is about to come to an end.

20 minutes ago, Sparkko said:

So salty. With DX12 allowing games to use more than 4 cores any of the 6 core variants are bound to be much more relevant in the future as well. Just thinking ahead here. Yes I'm sure a 6700k build will be perfectly fine with future DX12 games, but I have a feeling the 4 core master race for gaming is about to come to an end.

DX12 does the opposite

it reduces CPU overhead

it makes games reply less on number of CPU cores so that they can perform better without needing very powerful CPUs

if you look at DX12 benchmarks there is pretty much 0 improvement past 6 threads

and the difference between 4 and 6 is already minimal

DX12 is going to make high-core count CPUs useless for gaming

2836208-7968252381-dx12-.png

2836209-4833852440-dx12-.png

api-overhead-290x.jpg

71448.png

Spoiler

5820k superior.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

8 hours ago, Enderman said:

which is like 5/20000

On a more serious note - the 5770c lacks the full 8mb of Cache usually found on a flagship 4-core i7 so its not a good gauge of generational IPC gains - the 6/8/10-core broadwell do not suffer from a lack of cache and preliminary benchmarks look good.

Generally if a program NEEDS the extra CPU power than more than one core can provide - it will be coded in such a way as to take advantage of as many threads as it can. the reality is that if you have a overclocked i5/i7 your not going to be running into major CPU bottlenecks. 

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

@Enderman You seem to know your stuff, can 6800K be compared with 6700K when its overclocked? I want to buy the 6800K for the simple reason of 3D rendering and the upgrability to higher end 2011-v3's if I need to, (6700K is the top-of-line and cant be therefore upgraded). I will also be playing games.

Would the 6800K be fine choise in this case?

2 hours ago, MadG4mer said:

@Enderman You seem to know your stuff, can 6800K be compared with 6700K when its overclocked? I want to buy the 6800K for the simple reason of 3D rendering and the upgrability to higher end 2011-v3's if I need to, (6700K is the top-of-line and cant be therefore upgraded). I will also be playing games.

Would the 6800K be fine choise in this case?

yeah it would be good

you cna overclock the 6800k, but you can also overclock the 6700k, so either way the 6700k will have better core performance

but the 6800k wont be far behind, and yes its a good choice if you want to upgrade to a more powerful CPU in the future

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

yeah it would be good

you cna overclock the 6800k, but you can also overclock the 6700k, so either way the 6700k will have better core performance

but the 6800k wont be far behind, and yes its a good choice if you want to upgrade to a more powerful CPU in the future

Thank you Sir! and love your white build.

2 minutes ago, MadG4mer said:

Thank you Sir! and love your white build.

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Enderman said:

buy a skylake CPU now

reading your posts is a waste of time.

X99 is a waste of money (mostly)