CPU consistently overheating, idle temps around 66 C

Hello everyone, I am in dire need of advice. For the past while my CPU has been overheating while playing demanding games, while that in itself is annoying, it wasn't much of a problem, but now, after upgrading to a more powerful cooler, my temps are worse, and I overheat simply from turning the computer on. I'm at my wits end, I've tried reapplying thermal paste, reinstalling the CPU cooling, etc. I should also mention I am using an FX6350 and an Artic Freezer 7 PRO Rev. 2. Thanks.

Are you overclocking? What is the voltage of the CPU? How are you mounting it? How much thermal paste are you using? What is the ambient temperature?

12 minutes ago, kurahk7 said:

Are you overclocking? What is the voltage of the CPU? How are you mounting it? How much thermal paste are you using? What is the ambient temperature?

No overclocking, 1.404 volts, not sure what you mean by how am I mounting it, either a grain of rice size or the stuff that comes on new cpu coolers, and around 70 F, to answer your questions.

5 minutes ago, ghettomonk said:

No overclocking, 1.404 volts, not sure what you mean by how am I mounting it, either a grain of rice size or the stuff that comes on new cpu coolers, and around 70 F, to answer your questions.

Case airflow is all I can think of.  What is the air exchange situation in the case?

1.404v on stock?  Seems a bit high.

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Case airflow is all I can think of.  What is the air exchange situation in the case?

1.404v on stock?  Seems a bit high.

I'm not sure what air exchange is, but I have two input fans at the rear and front of the case, with my exaust being at the top of the case, although I don't have a fan there, not enough room

1 minute ago, ghettomonk said:

I'm not sure what air exchange is, but I have two input fans at the rear and front of the case, with my exaust being at the top of the case, although I don't have a fan there, not enough room

Air exchange is exactly what it sounds like:  the rate at which the air in the case is exchanged for fresh air. 

With your theoretical 100% positive pressure system, you might have pockets of hot air that is trapped; therefore that hot air will build up the temperature to an undesirable degree before it levels off.

I recommend reversing the rear fans to exhaust to create directional airflow.

5 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Air exchange is exactly what it sounds like:  the rate at which the air in the case is exchanged for fresh air. 

With your theoretical 100% positive pressure system, you might have pockets of hot air that is trapped; therefore that hot air will build up the temperature to an undesirable degree before it levels off.

I recommend reversing the rear fans to exhaust to create directional airflow.

Alright, I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the advice

15 minutes ago, ghettomonk said:

Alright, I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the advice

It seemed to being going well, but when I launched GTA to test it, the temps rose INCREDIBLY fast and I overheated again. Although, my idle temps were significantly improved

53 minutes ago, ghettomonk said:

Hello everyone, I am in dire need of advice. For the past while my CPU has been overheating while playing demanding games, while that in itself is annoying, it wasn't much of a problem, but now, after upgrading to a more powerful cooler, my temps are worse, and I overheat simply from turning the computer on. I'm at my wits end, I've tried reapplying thermal paste, reinstalling the CPU cooling, etc. I should also mention I am using an FX6350 and an Artic Freezer 7 PRO Rev. 2. Thanks.

Well the cpu has a tdp of 125w, and that cooler has a tdp of 115, so it may not be capable of cooling the cpu, the voltage is a little high, but probably normal if the 1.404 volts is the turbo voltage, you could disable turbo core (also disable apm in bios), and that will bring temps/ voltages down. Also AMD recommends max temp on the FX cpus as 61c, they thermal throttle at 70c.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/search/CPU/AMD-FX-Series/AMD-FX-6-Core-Black-Edition/FX-6350-with-Wraith-cooler/140

10 minutes ago, LeStringMan said:

Well the cpu has a tdp of 125w, and that cooler has a tdp of 115, so it may not be capable of cooling the cpu, the voltage is a little high, but probably normal if the 1.404 volts is the turbo voltage, you could disable turbo core (also disable apm in bios), and that will bring temps/ voltages down. Also AMD recommends max temp on the FX cpus as 61c, they thermal throttle at 70c.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/search/CPU/AMD-FX-Series/AMD-FX-6-Core-Black-Edition/FX-6350-with-Wraith-cooler/140

The website I bought it from said it was rated at 150 watts. I checked and all APM options are disabled, I'm just at my wits end, and would really prefer not to buy anything else, especially since I just bought this cooler to fix the problem.

2 minutes ago, ghettomonk said:

The website I bought it from said it was rated at 150 watts. I checked and all APM options are disabled, I'm just at my wits end, and would really prefer not to buy anything else, especially since I just bought this cooler to fix the problem.

Well according to Arctic's site it is a 115 tdp cooler, you have turbo core and APM off right? if so 1.404 volts is really high for 3.9ghz, you could try undervolting until stable, my 6300 will do 3.990ghz @ 1.2 volts completely stable, start at about 1.28 volts and stress with prime95 for about an hour or a couple of runs of intel burn test on maximum, make sure temps are in check of course, and bump down until unstable and then go back to whatever was stable. It shouldnt take more than 1.3- 1.34 volts, to do 3.8 or 3.9 ghz, unless you have the worst 6300/6350 in the world. Outside of this i dont know what to advise you to do other than go back to the stock cooler, or one buy one capable of cooling the cpu.  

40 minutes ago, LeStringMan said:

Well according to Arctic's site it is a 115 tdp cooler, you have turbo core and APM off right? if so 1.404 volts is really high for 3.9ghz, you could try undervolting until stable, my 6300 will do 3.990ghz @ 1.2 volts completely stable, start at about 1.28 volts and stress with prime95 for about an hour or a couple of runs of intel burn test on maximum, make sure temps are in check of course, and bump down until unstable and then go back to whatever was stable. It shouldnt take more than 1.3- 1.34 volts, to do 3.8 or 3.9 ghz, unless you have the worst 6300/6350 in the world. Outside of this i dont know what to advise you to do other than go back to the stock cooler, or one buy one capable of cooling the cpu.  

Would a 212 Evo be good enough?

2 hours ago, ghettomonk said:

Just a few mm higher from the CPU heatsink can cause very high temps. Have you removed your backplate when installing your new cooler or have you kept your old one on?

9 minutes ago, Dionyz said:

Just a few mm higher from the CPU heatsink can cause very high temps. Have you removed your backplate when installing your new cooler or have you kept your old one on?

There wasn't a backplate on it.

5 minutes ago, ghettomonk said:

There wasn't a backplate on it.

Okay the only other thing I can think of is the cooler is broken or the thermal paste is not the correct amount. It's okay to apply a lot of thermal paste. If temps don't change, and the radiator is cold the water cooler is foresure broken.

21 minutes ago, Dionyz said:

Okay the only other thing I can think of is the cooler is broken or the thermal paste is not the correct amount. It's okay to apply a lot of thermal paste. If temps don't change, and the radiator is cold the water cooler is foresure broken.

What???

42 minutes ago, ghettomonk said:

What???

If the cooler is on right, then there only a few things left to do...

1.  Lower the clock speed/find a lower voltage too, or disable the turbo boost in the bios.

2.  Buy a new cooler.

If you live in the USA, look at these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF2DZ6565

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/enermax-cpu-cooler-etst40frf

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/raijintek-cpu-cooler-0r100009

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-TS140&c=CJ

Try reseating and making sure the cooler is properly mounted. Which way is the cooler facing?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Try reseating and making sure the cooler is properly mounted. Which way is the cooler facing?

the fan is facing down, as the instructions say

2 minutes ago, ghettomonk said:

the fan is facing down, as the instructions say

Since when did the instructions say to mount the cooler that way? It would help to get picture of your computer to better understand the airflow. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

17 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Since when did the instructions say to mount the cooler that way? It would help to get picture of your computer to better understand the airflow. 

pix in the thread

1 minute ago, ghettomonk said:

there ya go :)

The manual doesn't instruct the mount the cooler facing down. It's just a visual. 

Mount the cooler so that it exhausts towards the rear of the case. 

7 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The manual doesn't instruct the mount the cooler facing down. It's just a visual. 

Mount the cooler so that it exhausts towards the rear of the case. 

4 minutes ago, stconquest said:

freezer7pro-141.jpg

With my AM3+ board, its the only way I could mount it is directly upwards.