1080p for everyone

Youbetternot

Netflix now has 1080p for everywhere and probably every thing

netflix-super-hd.jpg

feeling left out because your internet provider isn't on board with Netflix's Open Connect program that provides access to its Super HD high-bitrate 1080p streams? Let that feeling of abandonment go, as the company has announced all of its customers (with compatible players) now have access to the higher quality video (and, in the US, 3D). According to Netflix the move is based on a combination of performance data and member requests, although we'll consider ourselves unofficial beta testers after a glitch temporarily switched it on for all providers back in August. Netflix is going to keep pushing its Open Connect platform, and reminds users that actually getting the video streams with less compression depends on the network connection available. 

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/26/netflix-super-hd-open-to-everyone/

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

That's good news. My ISP was initially on board but this is good to see.

CM 690 II Lite | Crucial M4 128GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda Intel i5 2500k @ stock | Sapphire HD 7950 3GB Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Corsair TX650 V2 

Windows 8 Professional 64bit 

It wasn't already 1080p?

(I dont use netflix)

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

finally, it's about time they off that, given if your internet can even stream 1080p

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

It wasn't already 1080p?

(I dont use netflix)

Some content is available in 1080p, but before this announcement, you had to be on a supported ISP. You still need to use a "compatible" player, though. :(

CM 690 II Lite | Crucial M4 128GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda Intel i5 2500k @ stock | Sapphire HD 7950 3GB Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Corsair TX650 V2 

Windows 8 Professional 64bit 

The vast majority of Canadian family's next month's Internet bill:  $500 in overages.

The vast majority of Canadian family's next month's Internet bill:  $500 in overages.

not if you are on tekksavvy or on rogers unlimited bandwith plans :P

not if you are on tekksavvy or on rogers unlimited bandwith plans :P

I'm not trying to be a dick... but does TekSavvy or Rogers Unlimited sound like the average Canadian family to you? :):P

I'm not trying to be a dick... but does TekSavvy or Rogers Unlimited sound like the average Canadian family to you? :):P

no :( sadly the average consumer is dumb and/or cant afford it

no :( sadly the average consumer is dumb and/or cant afford it

Also, I would LOVE TekSavvy myself, but I live in a smaller town that is not a city such as Toronto.  I have but only 1 ISP choice... :(

Also, I would LOVE TekSavvy myself, but I live in a smaller town that is not a city such as Toronto.  I have but only 1 ISP choice... :(

Which demon do you have to pay?

Which demon do you have to pay?

Cogeco.  The current "extreme" plan is the one with 80 GB of transfer per month.

In all fairness, the higher end plans are not available in this region.

They all sux dong-along  in canada tbh. You have to pay 2x as much in all other province's  besides Bc to get what they have with shaw. 

I mostly just have Netflix playing in the background while I do my work. I only watch documentaries on a plane ride or in traffic. I never only watch, I'm always doing something while "watching". So I guess I just listen to Netflix. Still good news for everyone else. Next 4K.

Its pretty nice but the ISPs have to be not throttling you if you want to enjoy the content.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer