Will a hyper 212 EVO cool a i5 6600K?

Go to solution Solved by typographie,
6 minutes ago, Calum_18 said:

Will a hyper 212 EVO cool a i5 6600K? Im thinking about OC it to something around  4-4.2Ghz and was just wanting to make sure my CPU fan can cool it enough so it doesn't overheat and dies on me?

Based on my own experiences with the i5-6600K, 4–4.2 GHz isn't much, and you might be able to get it that far at stock voltage. So, yeah, I think a Hyper 212 EVO could keep it cool very easily. Possibly even at higher clocks than that. Take it with a grain of salt, all chips will be somewhat different, but that's my guess.

You'll know if it's going to overheat and die on you months in advance, because you'll be watching your temperatures while overclocking. Right? ;)

Will a hyper 212 EVO cool a i5 6600K? Im thinking about OC it to something around  4-4.2Ghz and was just wanting to make sure my CPU fan can cool it enough so it doesn't overheat and dies on me?

My full system specs can be seen here:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Thanks for the help

1 minute ago, Calum_18 said:

Thanks for the help

Yes

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

6 minutes ago, Calum_18 said:

Based on my own experiences with the i5-6600K, 4–4.2 GHz isn't much, and you might be able to get it that far at stock voltage. So, yeah, I think a Hyper 212 EVO could keep it cool very easily. Possibly even at higher clocks than that. Take it with a grain of salt, all chips will be somewhat different, but that's my guess.

You'll know if it's going to overheat and die on you months in advance, because you'll be watching your temperatures while overclocking. Right? ;)

Yes, a Hyper 212 Evo will cool anything from Intel. Why do you want to overclock?

2 minutes ago, Dogeystyle said:

Why do you want to overclock?

because you should overclock if you bought a K series processor.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Just now, ZetZet said:

because you should overclock if you bought a K series processor.

Really, can you point me to where on the Intel manual does it say that?

Really, can you point me to where on the Intel manual does it say that?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking-intel-processors.html

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yes, a Hyper 212 Evo will cool anything from Intel. Why do you want to overclock?

7 minutes ago, typographie said:

I will once i finish over-clocking will MSI Afterburner do or what software do you recommend? Will the task manager be good enough? 

1 minute ago, Calum_18 said:

I will once i finish over-clocking will MSI Afterburner do or what software do you recommend? Will the task manager be good enough? 

Core Temp. I used this software ever since I had my first build and it has never failed me. It even has a feature to where if the CPU gets to a certain temperature, it will warn you and turn off your computer to prevent any problems. 

Novus Anima

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

1 minute ago, Vercii said:

Core Temp. I used this software ever since I had my first build and it has never failed me. It even has a feature to where if the CPU gets to a certain temperature, it will warn you and turn off your computer to prevent any problems. 

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Dogeystyle said:

Nothing there saying why he should oc his CPU, just saying how.

but you should, otherwise it's pointless to buy one. 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

3 minutes ago, Dogeystyle said:

Nothing there saying why he should oc his CPU, just saying how.

ZetZet has a point i could have went with the 6600 if i was not planning on overclocking 

9 minutes ago, Dogeystyle said:

I want to get the best out of my gaming performance plus it's a learning experience 

2 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

This. Might as well just go with a locked CPU if you're just gonna sit there with it at stock. 

Novus Anima

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

26 minutes ago, Calum_18 said:

Thanks for the help

yes it will

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

15 hours ago, Calum_18 said:

Afterburner works, as does CoreTemp and quite a few others. I use RealTemp most often if all I want is to monitor CPU temperatures, but there's no real reason to get it over the others if you already have something else. Task Manager only tells you % load, not temperature.

By the way, I didn't mean that you necessarily have to monitor temperatures around the clock every day. You'll be running stress tests anyway to ensure your overclock is stable, and that will give you a good idea how hot your CPU will get in a worst-case scenario. It shouldn't ever get much hotter than that unless something goes wrong, like a dead fan or something.