Anyone else angry at Microsoft over dirty tricks on Windows 10 upgrade

10 minutes ago, The Falcon said:

Is it confirmed though that their software does not work with windows 10? Has someone tested it? If not then someone should; I went blindly into my upgrade and I found my media server software didn't work but I found my lighting controller software did despite not listing compatibility on their website. The media server got an update shortly after to fix it though.

The fact it's compatible with 8.1 would lead me to believe it would work in 10; however it's clear it hasn't been tested by them. Software instability and DJ'ing don't mix well. I can't have some weird bug crash the software in the middle of a set. It's not worth the risk for me. I know it works well in 7, I haven't had any issues with it, and that's all I really use my laptop for anyways, so it's not that big of a deal. I personally really like 10, it's on my desktop and I would like to have it for my laptop as well; but I can't risk it until I get a new mixer (or control box; but I got the TTM-57 specifically so I didn't need a control box) that supports the newer Serato DJ software.

*Yes, I know I could use actual vinyls and this would obviate that problem, but a lot of the music I play just isn't available on vinyl; nor is it really financially reasonable (at this point). I would LOVE to be able to use all vinyls for my sets, and I still take some out with me when I play; but carting around milkcrates of records isn't very fun, nor do I really want to buy vinyl singles (or LP's) of some of the stupid pop shit that people want to hear.

3 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

The fact it's compatible with 8.1 would lead me to believe it would work in 10; however it's clear it hasn't been tested by them. Software instability and DJ'ing don't mix well. I can't have some weird bug crash the software in the middle of a set. It's not worth the risk for me. I know it works well in 7, I haven't had any issues with it, and that's all I really use my laptop for anyways, so it's not that big of a deal. I personally really like 10, it's on my desktop and I would like to have it for my laptop as well; but I can't risk it until I get a new mixer (or control box; but I got the TTM-57 specifically so I didn't need a control box) that supports the newer Serato DJ software.

*Yes, I know I could use actual vinyls and this would obviate that problem, but a lot of the music I play just isn't available on vinyl; nor is it really financially reasonable (at this point). I would LOVE to be able to use all vinyls for my sets, and I still take some out with me when I play; but carting around milkcrates of records isn't very fun, nor do I really want to buy vinyl singles (or LP's) of some of the stupid pop shit that people want to hear.

Interesting, have you tried just doing like your normal set with the device plugged into your desktop to see if their are any device issues? 

6 minutes ago, The Falcon said:

Interesting, have you tried just doing like your normal set with the device plugged into your desktop to see if their are any device issues? 

I haven't. I might try it just to see, but seeing as the hardware is all totally different as well, if I do have issues it could be hard to pinpoint if it's hardware or software incompatibility. Eventually I will be getting a new mixer, though it could be a while...The 'cheapest' Rane mixer starts at ~$1700; it's supposed to be the mkII version if the one I currently have, but it is missing some of the features I use now (4 cue triggers on the mkII versus 5 on the mkI). Oh well; you know what they say, 'If it ain't broke...'

4 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

I haven't. I might try it just to see, but seeing as the hardware is all totally different as well, if I do have issues it could be hard to pinpoint if it's hardware or software incompatibility. Eventually I will be getting a new mixer, though it could be a while...The 'cheapest' Rane mixer starts at ~$1700; it's supposed to be the mkII version if the one I currently have, but it is missing some of the features I use now (4 cue triggers on the mkII versus 5 on the mkI). Oh well; you know what they say, 'If it ain't broke...'

Thats true, I think we getting a bit off-topic but I would like to hear if it actually worked with win10 if you ever try it.

2 hours ago, The Falcon said:

I think if the people who do not have a valid reason to stay away from windows 10 upgraded to windows 10 then Microsoft would not need to force people to upgrade like this. It is obvious to see they are trying to avoid another Windows XP issue and the fact that it costs them tons of money to maintain older versions of their OS, this is one of the main reasons Windows 10 has been free in the first place. If everyone uses Windows 10 it will save windows more cash than if people used Windows 7 for the rest of time like with XP. So if you look at it from that point it makes complete sense that they are doing what they doing and I know I am gonna receive some hate for this but if Windows forced you to upgrade, it disabled your system, and your reason was I just did not want to leave Windows 7 or some invalid reason like that, you brought that disabled system on yourself. You should of, over the course of the last nearly 12 months prepared your computer for the upgrade and did the upgrade yourself. This is 2016 people need to stop being so afraid of change.

Just as a bit of a note: I have personally been on 10 since the developer previews, running it on my laptop and my desktop (which is LGA775 so drivers should of been a problem) and I have not had a single driver issue. All my touchpads, graphics cards, hard drives, sound cards, dvd drives, wifi cards and game controllers some of which still do not have official windows 10 drivers worked from day one (or negative day whatever if you count the developer preview) and work properly even using the Windows 7 drivers, which my wifi card is using right now. 

If you will go back to the OP. You will see that I did not 'bring this on myself'

Microsoft have changed the behaviour of the updates and tricked people into applying it without authorisation by putting it as a 'recommended update'.

Fact is its not fully compatible with that hardware and due to Intel not supporting the GPU adapter in Windows 10.

It never will be.

So its not a case of bringing this on myself. Its Microsoft being overly aggressive and deceitful.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

27 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

If you will go back to the OP. You will see that I did not 'bring this on myself'

Microsoft have changed the behaviour of the updates and tricked people into applying it without authorisation by putting it as a 'recommended update'.

Fact is its not fully compatible with that hardware and due to Intel not supporting the GPU adapter in Windows 10.

It never will be.

So its not a case of bringing this on myself. Its Microsoft being overly aggressive and deceitful.

I am aware of your specific situation and I agree with you in that microsoft should not of forced it on you but my statement was a bit more generally referring to everyone else