Anyone else angry at Microsoft over dirty tricks on Windows 10 upgrade

As posted elsewhere.

Anyone else angry at Microsoft right now? I've lost two days work thanks to their stupid behaviour on Windows 10, that I don't want as I'll be buying new machines in due course anyway. The machines that MS is trying to upgrade its completely inappropriate to run it on due to no driver support.

Came into the office on Friday to find my PC had upgraded without my consent overnight. I'm a consultant and my PC is my lifesblood. So it knocked me out for two days.

Think this sort of thing is just completely unacceptable by Microsoft. Anyone else been frustrated by this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36367221

Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick'

By Zoe KleinmanTechnology reporter, BBC News
Microsoft has faced criticism for changing the pop-up box encouraging Windows users to upgrade to Windows 10.

Clicking the red cross on the right hand corner of the pop-up box now activates the upgrade instead of closing the box.

And this has caused confusion as typically clicking a red cross closes a pop-up notification

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

Ever since I disabled the telemetry services I don't care anymore. Win10 is pretty good once you've tweaked it. Which is to say, not as good as 7 for the common user.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

6 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Ever since I disabled the telemetry services I don't care anymore. Win10 is pretty good once you've tweaked it. Which is to say, not as good as 7 for the common user.

I'm already using Windows 10 on a newer machine and we intend to use Windows 10 Pro on our machines.

Its the tactics of Microsoft that is the issue.

Its treating their customers (me, you) with absolute contempt.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

windows 10 is awesome. and you can disable it prompting you to upgrade in windows 7 and 8 im pretty sure. i dont really see why people are hating on it, its great. not awesome for older devices were it might not have driver support but it work fine on anything i have tried it on this far

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, mark_cameron said:

I'm already using Windows 10 on a newer machine and we intend to use Windows 10 Pro on our machines.

I get it. They're pushing shady stuff through their free upgrades. But thankfully it can all be disabled.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

windows 10 is awesome. and you can disable it prompting you to upgrade in windows 7 and 8 im pretty sure. i dont really see why people are hating on it, its great. not awesome for older devices were it might not have driver support but it work fine on anything i have tried it on this far

I've managed to stop any future Windows 10 updates on these machines to prevent the same issue again.

That is the whole reason we aren't updating to Win 10 Pro on these machines. Until they're replaced entirely later in the year with new machines.

On the basis there is no official driver support... from Intel.

Microsoft is trying to push inappropriate software onto people.

6 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I get it. They're pushing shady stuff through their free upgrades. But thankfully it can all be disabled.

I'd like to disable Bill Gates right now.

See how he likes losing two days work revenues. Unlike him we have mouths to feed.

Just now, mark_cameron said:

I'd like to disable Bill Gates right now.

See how he likes losing two days work revenues. Unlike him we have mouths to feed.

Sounds like you had a bad experience upgrading to Win10. Care to tell?

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, mark_cameron said:

I've managed to stop any future Windows 10 updates on these machines to prevent the same issue again.

That is the whole reason we aren't updating to Win 10 Pro on these machines. Until they're replaced entirely later in the year with new machines.

On the basis there is no official driver support... from Intel.

Microsoft is trying to push inappropriate software onto people.

well almost all windows 7 drivers work fine on windows 10 as far as i know, there just not MADE for windows 10. those machines would probably work but i can see your point of view here too, its not great that there just shoving it in your face but i dont mind, its there OS and we chose to use it so there free to do what they want with it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well almost all windows 7 drivers work fine on windows 10 as far as i know, there just not MADE for windows 10. those machines would probably work but i can see your point of view here too, its not great that there just shoving it in your face but i dont mind, its there OS and we chose to use it so there free to do what they want with it

We use displaylink USB adapters (the soon to be disposed of all in ones) do not have separate display adapters.

For multiple screens. Since Intel aren't supporting Intel HD 2000 - in Win 10.

The displaylink drivers do not work in Win 10 with this Intel HD 2000 driver. Hence no upgrade or we lose multi screen capability which for our consultant work is necessary.

We're getting new machines in 6 months - this is all planned for.

2 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

We use displaylink USB adapters (the soon to be disposed of all in ones) do not have separate display adapters.

For multiple screens. Since Intel aren't supporting Intel HD 2000 - in Win 10.

The displaylink drivers do not work in Win 10 with this Intel HD 2000 driver. Hence no upgrade or we lose multi screen capability which for our consultant work is necessary.

We're getting new machines in 6 months - this is all planned for.

aaaah i get ya. yah thats a real problem and i can see how this is a pain in that case, i couldent live without my second screen :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Sounds like you had a bad experience upgrading to Win10. Care to tell?

I came into the office Friday morning to find my (shortly to be upgraded) Windows 7 machine had automatically upgraded overnight - which was a very nasty surprise.

That computer uses a Intel HD 2000 integrated graphics which isn't officially supported in windows 10 - so we decided NOT to install.

I've actually selected upgrade hardware anyway for a few months from now.

Microsofts' behaviour has been downright unethical and unacceptable.

One of the machine's revert back to Windows 7 - was corrupted so had to do a restore point which then lost some recent work.

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

aaaah i get ya. yah thats a real problem and i can see how this is a pain in that case, i couldent live without my second screen :P 

Long term replacement of machines that is all planned for is fine.

When Microsoft do this it causes severe short term disruption. This then has knock on impacts on work plans and so on.

Microsoft thinking they're being clever doing this. Cause alot of problems for people.

2 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

Long term replacement of machines that is all planned for is fine.

When Microsoft do this it causes severe short term disruption. This then has knock on impacts on work plans and so on.

Microsoft thinking they're being clever doing this. Cause alot of problems for people.

yah that must suck. i am not honestly super happy about them auto upgrading your computer, thats a bit of an ashole move for those that dont want windows 10 but i still love the OS itself

Builds:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, mark_cameron said:

I came into the office Friday morning to find my (shortly to be upgraded) Windows 7 machine had automatically upgraded overnight - which was a very nasty surprise.

That computer uses a Intel HD 2000 integrated graphics which isn't officially supported in windows 10 - so we decided NOT to install.

I've actually selected upgrade hardware anyway for a few months from now.

Microsofts' behaviour has been downright unethical and unacceptable.

One of the machine's revert back to Windows 7 - was corrupted so had to do a restore point which then lost some recent work.

Damn.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

On May 24, 2016 at 2:27 AM, mark_cameron said:

As posted elsewhere.

Anyone else angry at Microsoft right now? I've lost two days work thanks to their stupid behaviour on Windows 10, that I don't want as I'll be buying new machines in due course anyway. The machines that MS is trying to upgrade its completely inappropriate to run it on due to no driver support.

Came into the office on Friday to find my PC had upgraded without my consent overnight. I'm a consultant and my PC is my lifesblood. So it knocked me out for two days.

Think this sort of thing is just completely unacceptable by Microsoft. Anyone else been frustrated by this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36367221

Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick'

By Zoe KleinmanTechnology reporter, BBC News
Microsoft has faced criticism for changing the pop-up box encouraging Windows users to upgrade to Windows 10.

Clicking the red cross on the right hand corner of the pop-up box now activates the upgrade instead of closing the box.

And this has caused confusion as typically clicking a red cross closes a pop-up notification

No, windows 10 is better than Windows 7 for me. Microsoft wants user to stood being glued to windows 7  so Microsoft forced upgrade them.

20 hours ago, Yongtjunkit said:

No, windows 10 is better than Windows 7 for me. Microsoft wants user to stood being glued to windows 7  so Microsoft forced upgrade them.

This doesn't even make sense.

3 hours ago, mark_cameron said:

This doesn't even make sense.

Oops typing error, I meant that Microsoft wants all users who's running Windows 7 to upgrade to window 10 

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 7:35 PM, mark_cameron said:

this sort of tactics that moved me to ubuntu on my main pc. I actually have a windows 10 phone that I really enjoy shame they can't do the same for the desktop.

I know why there are doing it, its the first they have a compete ecosystem with the same kernel running on pc,xbox and phones.

they are pushing si that they can sell there ecosystem buy an app on one it runs on all your devices.

their services are a joke and a mess. Simple things having their music service part of xbox live subscription which would help push usage and adoption are nit a thing.

amazon offer me next day delivery, prime music and prime video for one fee a year.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

The no driver support is a moot point since older hardware would be supported with generic drivers included with the OS, and for anything else MS would have been able to cook something up (if the hardware (even if it's one component like a graphics card) wasn't supported then the upgrade wouldn't take place which I'm well aware of and is something I'm trying to fix myself).

I've kept windows update set to notify only for months (even though it always seems to act like its trying to download and install, and my changes were reverted without my knowledge which I quickly fixed) which has stopped the more recent changes to the GWX application from being downloaded and installed since I'm upgrading on my own terms and not microsofts.

On 28/05/2016 at 3:15 AM, demonix00 said:

The no driver support is a moot point since older hardware would be supported with generic drivers included with the OS, and for anything else MS would have been able to cook something up (if the hardware (even if it's one component like a graphics card) wasn't supported then the upgrade wouldn't take place which I'm well aware of and is something I'm trying to fix myself).

I've kept windows update set to notify only for months (even though it always seems to act like its trying to download and install, and my changes were reverted without my knowledge which I quickly fixed) which has stopped the more recent changes to the GWX application from being downloaded and installed since I'm upgrading on my own terms and not microsofts.

Its not a moot point.

Generic drivers do not support more advanced features like duplicate screens and also leads to issues of driver incompatibility that becomes a vulnerability in the long term.

I tried it. I was getting blue screen crashes repeatedly. So most of what you're saying here simply isn't true.

The upgrade DID take place without authorisation. On the basis of limited driver support.

Even if this was tenious.

I think if the people who do not have a valid reason to stay away from windows 10 upgraded to windows 10 then Microsoft would not need to force people to upgrade like this. It is obvious to see they are trying to avoid another Windows XP issue and the fact that it costs them tons of money to maintain older versions of their OS, this is one of the main reasons Windows 10 has been free in the first place. If everyone uses Windows 10 it will save windows more cash than if people used Windows 7 for the rest of time like with XP. So if you look at it from that point it makes complete sense that they are doing what they doing and I know I am gonna receive some hate for this but if Windows forced you to upgrade, it disabled your system, and your reason was I just did not want to leave Windows 7 or some invalid reason like that, you brought that disabled system on yourself. You should of, over the course of the last nearly 12 months prepared your computer for the upgrade and did the upgrade yourself. This is 2016 people need to stop being so afraid of change.

Just as a bit of a note: I have personally been on 10 since the developer previews, running it on my laptop and my desktop (which is LGA775 so drivers should of been a problem) and I have not had a single driver issue. All my touchpads, graphics cards, hard drives, sound cards, dvd drives, wifi cards and game controllers some of which still do not have official windows 10 drivers worked from day one (or negative day whatever if you count the developer preview) and work properly even using the Windows 7 drivers, which my wifi card is using right now. 

I have to keep my laptop on Windows 7 (or I could go to 8.1, but I hated it). I am a DJ and I still use a Rane TTM-57 mixer. It is only compatible with their older, Scratch Live software which on the download page clearly states, 'The latest version of Serato Scratch Live has been tested and is supported with operating systems up to OS X Mavericks and Windows 8.1. No future testing or development will take place.' Because of this, I have to stick with Windows 7. I try not to connect it to the internet much, and I always search the KB number for any optional updates that show up in Microsoft Update to make sure it's not something to force me to 10. KB3035583 was the one that would put the little icon in your toolbar. I noticed it immediately because I'm super AR about the icons in my taskbar. After uninstalling that the icon went away and I haven't been bothered to upgrade. I've seen it reappear in Optional Updates several times since they started doing it even though I hide the update, so I just have to double check that it's gone. /firstworldproblems

2 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

I have to keep my laptop on Windows 7 (or I could go to 8.1, but I hated it). I am a DJ and I still use a Rane TTM-57 mixer. It is only compatible with their older, Scratch Live software which on the download page clearly states, 'The latest version of Serato Scratch Live has been tested and is supported with operating systems up to OS X Mavericks and Windows 8.1. No future testing or development will take place.' Because of this, I have to stick with Windows 7. I try not to connect it to the internet much, and I always search the KB number for any optional updates that show up in Microsoft Update to make sure it's not something to force me to 10. KB3035583 was the one that would put the little icon in your toolbar. I noticed it immediately because I'm super AR about the icons in my taskbar. After uninstalling that the icon went away and I haven't been bothered to upgrade. I've seen it reappear in Optional Updates several times since they started doing it even though I hide the update, so I just have to double check that it's gone. /firstworldproblems

Is it confirmed though that their software does not work with windows 10? Has someone tested it? If not then someone should; I went blindly into my upgrade and I found my media server software didn't work but I found my lighting controller software did despite not listing compatibility on their website. The media server got an update shortly after to fix it though.