Taking USB 3.0 header from one board and putting it on another?

Hello,

A few years ago I bought a Mini ITX board to build into the Lian Li train case. Turns out the USB 3.0 cable in the case is just barely long enough, and when I say barely I mean it ripped out 20 minutes later and took a few pins with it. I've never been able to use front panel USB 3.0 with that board since, although I still use it as my LAN rig board. I recently got a dead board from a friend (by dead I mean he bent about 50 pins in the CPU socket and ripped off six SATA connectors, I don't know how) and I had an idea. If we were to pretend for a second that I am very capable with a soldering iron, would it be possible for me to restore USB 3.0 functionality to my Mini ITX board by un-soldering the header from the dead board and re-soldering it onto the USB 3.0 header spot on the Mini-ITX board? If there's a 50-50 chance or better that my board won't break I think I'll go for it. It isn't a top-notch mini itx board. 

In case it matters at all, both boards are from gigabyte and are both LGA1150, manufactured around the same time. The big difference is that one is ATX and the other Mini ITX.

Thanks for any help :)

9 minutes ago, Zach99 said:

Hello,

A few years ago I bought a Mini ITX board to build into the Lian Li train case. Turns out the USB 3.0 cable in the case is just barely long enough, and when I say barely I mean it ripped out 20 minutes later and took a few pins with it. I've never been able to use front panel USB 3.0 with that board since, although I still use it as my LAN rig board. I recently got a dead board from a friend (by dead I mean he bent about 50 pins in the CPU socket and ripped off six SATA connectors, I don't know how) and I had an idea. If we were to pretend for a second that I am very capable with a soldering iron, would it be possible for me to restore USB 3.0 functionality to my Mini ITX board by un-soldering the header from the dead board and re-soldering it onto the USB 3.0 header spot on the Mini-ITX board? If there's a 50-50 chance or better that my board won't break I think I'll go for it. It isn't a top-notch mini itx board. 

In case it matters at all, both boards are from gigabyte and are both LGA1150, manufactured around the same time. The big difference is that one is ATX and the other Mini ITX.

Thanks for any help :)

yep will work

but you gotta have those on point soldering skills

you don't have to sacrifice a mobo, USB headers are available through mouser.com

29 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

yep will work

but you gotta have those on point soldering skills

Awesome. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, airdeano said:

you don't have to sacrifice a mobo, USB headers are available through mouser.com

Thanks for letting me know! I'll definitely get one there instead.