What's all this half-life fuss about?

MG2R

So, everybody is always screaming about half-life (half-life 3 in particular nowadays). What is SO freaking amazing about the series?

As a side note: I just purchased the first half-life game from 1998. Downloading as we speak.

People saying HL3 is confirmed? HL3 confirmed.

Guy says HL3 confirmed? Half Life 2 Episode 3 confirmed.

So, everybody is always screaming about half-life (half-life 3 in particular nowadays). What is SO freaking amazing about the series?

As a side note: I just purchased the first half-life game from 1998. Downloading as we speak.

you bought a game from 1998 and ur downloading it now???

didnt know old keys could be added to steam

i personally played HL1 when i was REALLY young i think it was 1999

it was my first and the most amazing time of my life

then came CS 1.6 .... just played that game for 5 years straight about 6 - 10 hours a day

i have almost no child hood memories because of CS

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

OK, we'll see how good it actually is... Launching now.

4 characters in his name, one of them is a "2", 3-2=1, 1+2=3. Half life 3 confirmed.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

It has become a bit of a running joke because people have been talking about Half Life 3 for years with no "official" announcement. Add to it that Half Life 2 "Episodes" 1 and 2 were also released rather than just a flat out sequel of "Half Life 3"    so we get new content but not the one expected.  On top of that even if they kept with the episodes theme it would still be number 3.

So basically we have people who have been wondering/looking for this game for almost 10 years now (Half Life 2 came out in 2004) and sometimes the best way to deal with the wait is humor.  You start to feel a bit like a broken record and just have to laugh.  Sorta we know it could reasonably easily happen, but for some reason it is not, so we laugh rather than get irritated.

To my knowledge, this is not an instance of a game being plagued by development hell, we just don't hear anything.  This is a successful company, with a successful franchise, that would not be that hard to do a squeal to, but. . . . nothing.  We just don't know what the hell anyone is thinking.  One theory I have heard is that they want to release HL3 with some sort of new tech.  One idea has been to develop it for Oculus Rift,  another is that it may come out with Steam Box. 

Intel Core i5 2400 - Corsair Vengeance 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24 - four strips) - ASUS P8Z68-V LE - GeForce GTX 660 Ti (MSI Power Edition) - 60GB Corsair Force 3 Boot drive with 2.5TB in a random nightmare of a configuration

I feel that it is hard to say this when you might not have played the games. I am glad you are downloading it now to remove your once empty soul that will soon be filled with joy and wonder as you travel about black mesa so I will let it go and respect you!

I hope you put yourself in 1998 so you can fully understand what HL did to the fps adventure. However, I would suggest, if you have it, to get HL source. It makes it much more fun. After you play Half-Life, play hl2 and ep1 and 2. It is the only way to the path of enlightenment.

4 characters in his name, one of them is a "2", 3-2=1, 1+2=3. Half life 3 confirmed.

:o my god you have just proved that half life 2 is coming 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Just played it for half an hour and I do not see (yet) what it is that people find so awesome about it. Even though the walking speed is insane, the game feels to progress very slow...

you bought a game from 1998 and ur downloading it now???

didnt know old keys could be added to steam

I bought the the game just now on Steam. What I meant was: I bought the original title from 1998.

Just played it for half an hour and I do not see (yet) what it is that people find so awesome about it. Even though the walking speed is insane, the game feels to progress very slow...

dude

that game defined the modern genre

HL1 was kinda

like first of its kind

its like saying

pfft i just started playing asteroids the progress stuck the physics is horrible xD

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

dude

that game defined the modern genre

HL1 was kinda

like first of its kind

its like saying

pfft i just started playing asteroids the progress stuck the physics is horrible xD

I'm not following your thoughts at all. I'm not at all talking about things like physics or graphics or whatever performance metric, I'm talking about the game in general feeling as if it doesn't progress (storyline).

And what do you mean with "first of its kind"? What kind? Fps? :P

well I found proof of hl3 in the steam announcements.  :)

http://i.imgur.com/YmBknCT.jpg

Build Log: Monochrome

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H | Graphics Card: Asus HD 7970 DirectCU II | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | PSU: Corsair CXM 600 | Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB,2 Seagate Baracuda 3TB | Case: Corsair 350D Window

:o my god you have just proved that half life 2 is coming 

The number is the last character in the game's title. The last character in your name is 'C', which is the third letter of the alphabet. HL3 Confirmed. 

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

i haven't played any half life game yet. or any source engine games.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Half Life pretty much changed the way FPS games are made. Both singleplayer and multiplayer. I still blame Half Life for killing the area shooter. 

Ahahahhahahah that's such a spot on assessment. Half-Life totally killed Arena Shooters 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

So I just bought the game that killed UT? :(

Makes me sad.

Pretty much, DOOM kind of was doing that anyways, Half Life just sped the process up by tenfold 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I'm not following your thoughts at all. I'm not at all talking about things like physics or graphics or whatever performance metric, I'm talking about the game in general feeling as if it doesn't progress (storyline).

And what do you mean with "first of its kind"? What kind? Fps? :P

It's a game that you kinda had to play it when it came out to fully appreciate what it did. 

In other words, if you're gonna play it forget about every FPS you played that was released after 1998. Otherwise you may be disappointed, at least as far as gameplay goes.

Edited by Sp56k

It's a game that you kinda had to play it when it came out to fully appreciate what it did. 

In other words, if you're gonna play it forget about every FPS you played that was released after 1998. Otherwise you may be disappointed, at least as far as gameplay goes.

If that is the hype around it, then why do we still have people that want HL3 SO bad? We've had the gameplay revolution already.

If that is the hype around it, then why do we still have people that want HL3 SO bad? We've had the gameplay revolution already.

At this point, Half-Life 3 isn't wanted because of potential revolutions, it's desired for the story. HL2 Ep 2 ends in a huge cliff-hanger. People want to know what happens.

Like many things, if you missed the boat, going back to see what the big deal is later is damn near impossible. You just can't put yourself back into the mind set of someone who hadn't experienced anything like it before. I feel like, if you're playing Half Life for the first time now, there's no way you're gonna like it as much or even see why it's loved so much by everyone else. There's too much context lost.