My Problem with 8-10 Gamers, 1 Tower.

Okay, I'm just going to make this clear: It's not the hardware or the idea that I'm upset about. I think the concept is awesome, to just have one central PC and have several virtual clients set up around the building. However, I am unhappy about the way it was executed.

I can make a list about the things that were completely wrong about how this was executed, but one thing stood out to me: The fact that you relied on wireless dongles for video output to each station. That was something that almost made me scream out loud. I get it, wireless HDMI is something that seems great on the outside. It looks a lot cleaner than those messy cables, right? However, that cleanliness is sacrificed by video lag and (I saw this quite frequently in the video) potentially having frames not display properly/glitch. I remembered watching your last personal rig update, and more specifically that you used optical thunderbolt cables running to thunderbolt cards for video output and I/O. I do realize that using a similar thunderbolt setup might not have been possible, and that it may have been something considered when planning the project. However, I would have liked to see (at the bare minimum) optical display cables running to each client. I do get that it may be a bit of a hassle getting each cable to the correct client, but I know for a fact that it is a project that you aren't going to keep running anyways. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

~Scott Ruesch

How 'bout no?

If there is one thing I hate more than anything else, it's when a client asks me to make a program for macOS. I don't own a system that runs said OS. I use Ubuntu Linux, not macOS or Windows (that's why WINE exists, so that I don't have to use Windows. I tend to turn down clients that ask for a Mac program.)

System specs:

Core i7-5960x

64GB DDR4 RAM

Dual GTX 1080s running in 2-way SLI

Nothing else really needs to be put here. Check my profile for full specs.

The wireless HDMI was only for the audio of the virtual machines, to not have 10 sound cards.
The video was just steam in home streaming if I am correct.

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

20 minutes ago, scottrueschtech said:

Okay, I'm just going to make this clear: It's not the hardware or the idea that I'm upset about. I think the concept is awesome, to just have one central PC and have several virtual clients set up around the building. However, I am unhappy about the way it was executed.

I can make a list about the things that were completely wrong about how this was executed, but one thing stood out to me: The fact that you relied on wireless dongles for video output to each station. That was something that almost made me scream out loud. I get it, wireless HDMI is something that seems great on the outside. It looks a lot cleaner than those messy cables, right? However, that cleanliness is sacrificed by video lag and (I saw this quite frequently in the video) potentially having frames not display properly/glitch. I remembered watching your last personal rig update, and more specifically that you used optical thunderbolt cables running to thunderbolt cards for video output and I/O. I do realize that using a similar thunderbolt setup might not have been possible, and that it may have been something considered when planning the project. However, I would have liked to see (at the bare minimum) optical display cables running to each client. I do get that it may be a bit of a hassle getting each cable to the correct client, but I know for a fact that it is a project that you aren't going to keep running anyways. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

~Scott Ruesch

They didnt. They used steam in home streaming. The HDMI was just for audio.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 minute ago, Wyzzy Moon said:

The wireless HDMI was only for the audio of the virtual machines, to not have 10 sound cards.
The video was just steam in home streaming if I am correct.

Having wired HDMI transmits sound just as well, if not better. Also, the video for the Shield Portable was the only one that used the Steam In-Home Game Streaming. The displays would have needed to use the wireless HDMI because there is no monitor on the market that can use the in-home game streaming as a display input.

How 'bout no?

If there is one thing I hate more than anything else, it's when a client asks me to make a program for macOS. I don't own a system that runs said OS. I use Ubuntu Linux, not macOS or Windows (that's why WINE exists, so that I don't have to use Windows. I tend to turn down clients that ask for a Mac program.)

System specs:

Core i7-5960x

64GB DDR4 RAM

5 minutes ago, spwath said:

They didnt. They used steam in home streaming. The HDMI was just for audio.

Again,  having wired HDMI transmits sound just as well, if not better. Also, the video for the Shield Portable was the only one that used the Steam In-Home Game Streaming. The displays would have needed to use the wireless HDMI because there is no monitor on the market that can use the in-home game streaming as a display input.

How 'bout no?

System specs:

Core i7-5960x

64GB DDR4 RAM

1 minute ago, scottrueschtech said:

Having wired HDMI transmits sound just as well, if not better. Also, the video for the Shield Portable was the only one that used the Steam In-Home Game Streaming. The displays would have needed to use the wireless HDMI because there is no monitor on the market that can use the in-home game streaming as a display input.

they wanted to not be teatherd to the tower this time, that was the whole point. You had to be able to put it in a closet, you cant do that with 10 HDMI cables.
The wirreless was just for audio, all the other monitors had zotac thin clients

Even if they somehow managed to use in-home game streaming (which utilizes a network, by the way), they still would have run into similar issues as described in the original post.

How 'bout no?

System specs:

Core i7-5960x

64GB DDR4 RAM

Even if they somehow managed to use in-home game streaming (which utilizes a network, by the way), they still would have run into similar issues as described in the original post.

They did use the network, they have a 10Gbit and 1Gbit switch in their closet which all clients are connected to.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Wyzzy Moon said:

they wanted to not be teatherd to the tower this time, that was the whole point. You had to be able to put it in a closet, you cant do that with 10 HDMI cables.
The wirreless was just for audio, all the other monitors had zotac thin clients

I only saw two of the Zotac thin clients.  That doesn't account for all the other clients.

How 'bout no?

System specs:

Core i7-5960x

64GB DDR4 RAM

And that is what they did, they used in home network streaming to all the Zotac mini PC's in the office.
That's why there still was lag and berkels game was in SloMo, There were a few issuus

I only saw two of the Zotac thin clients.  That doesn't account for all the other clients.

They showed 2, they had 10

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

They did use the network, they have a 10Gbit and 1Gbit switch in their closet which all clients are connected to.

As I said, they still would have run into similar issues (if not the exact same issues) as I described in the original post.

How 'bout no?

System specs:

Core i7-5960x

64GB DDR4 RAM

4 minutes ago, scottrueschtech said:

Again,  having wired HDMI transmits sound just as well, if not better. Also, the video for the Shield Portable was the only one that used the Steam In-Home Game Streaming. The displays would have needed to use the wireless HDMI because there is no monitor on the market that can use the in-home game streaming as a display input.

No, all of them were steam in home streaming with Zotac thin clients. They said they had 8 of them, 1 sheild, and I guess one other thing

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Just now, scottrueschtech said:

As I said, they still would have run into similar issues (if not the exact same issues) as I described in the original post.

and they did, they said that they did. That's why the conclusion was that it was still not ideal

6 hours ago, scottrueschtech said:

They didn't use streaming as an input, each machine had its own client box, a small, lower powered of they ran steam clients and executed the streaming.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown