What does a typical Microsoft or IBM employee do?

Tomek20225

Hi, guys! :D
I'm having a really hard time picking my high school and learning course. One great technical school offers Microsoft and Cisco certificates. These are usually enough to work at, for instance, IBM and Microsoft (you don't need to prove me wrong here).
That's why I need to ask: what does a typical Microsoft, IBM or else employee actually do? I mean the most basic one. These are huge companies and I have literally no clue what those individuals may work on, that's why I'm asking you. Do they earn much?

Thanks in advance! :)
Thomas

There's literally hundreds of positions you could have for those companies. With a Cisco certification, you'd likely be doing network technician work, which could involve installing, maintaining and repairing various network elements for the company. (if your postilion is directly related to your certification, that is.)

Positions in them can range from sales to PR to HR to engineering to networking to receptionist. There isn't really a "typical" employee. 

Probably works for customer support or sales. IBM has sifted majority of its thing to servers so maybe technical support on server side. Repairs would have been big thing in past, but now Lenovo has their business desktop/laptop thing. Microsoft does have software developers but they have also been outsourcing those. Cue Barnacules rant.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 0:04 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Probably works for customer support or sales. IBM has sifted majority of its thing to servers so maybe technical support on server side. Repairs would have been big thing in past, but now Lenovo has their business desktop/laptop thing. Microsoft does have software developers but they have also been outsourcing those. Cue Barnacules rant.

They only removed Barnacules and his department because they became redundant. They tested parts of the .NET framework to identify issues with it. It was a department called "Test".

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 6:56 AM, Tomek20225 said:

Hi, guys! :D
I'm having a really hard time picking my high school and learning course. One great technical school offers Microsoft and Cisco certificates. These are usually enough to work at, for instance, IBM and Microsoft (you don't need to prove me wrong here).
That's why I need to ask: what does a typical Microsoft, IBM or else employee actually do? I mean the most basic one. These are huge companies and I have literally no clue what those individuals may work on, that's why I'm asking you. Do they earn much?

Thanks in advance! :)
Thomas

My dad works at MS R&D, highly classified stuff down there, so I cant tell you exactly, but man, are the employee benefits huge.

Some of them include:

Free:

Private healthcare

Public transportation

Microsoft shuttles to campus

Campus facilities

A ton of other stuff I cant think of at 10pm

Discount:

Microsoft store merchandise (Windows 10 Pro for $25)(Xbox One for $100)

Food and Drink everywhere in King County

A ton of other stuff I cant think of at 10pm

Also, stuff just like campus and work environment

Commons_web.jpg

MSStudiosWestCommons3.jpg

campus_aerial_4_web.jpg

Microsoft-Visitor-Center.jpg

MSStudiosWestCommons8.jpg

15-microsoft-headquarters-070712.jpg

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

57 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

They only removed Barnacules and his department because they became redundant. They tested parts of the .NET framework to identify issues with it. It was a department called "Test".

Thats what I said. Outsourcing. Like now general public does the testing. Same way as phone support for many companies has been moved from original home to India.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv