Should i switch over to overwatch

bluefire908

Hey guys,so i've been following overwatch for the past 2 weeks,and i really like the concept and the way the game is played,i'm the kind of person who plays one game and ONLY one game at a time,i like to focus on it for 3-4 years till i get really really good,i'm recently thinking of switching to overwatch from dota 2,i've never played a blizzard game before and im kinda worried about starting,how good is blizzard as a company when compared to valve,i dont want to invest thousands of hours into a game then find out the company makes one dick move and ruins the entire game for me,also is does overwatch have a high high skill cap,if so how high is it.

EDIT1: also do we have hats and a trading system in overwatch

40 minutes ago, bluefire908 said:

Hey guys,so i've been following overwatch for the past 2 weeks,and i really like the concept and the way the game is played,i'm the kind of person who plays one game and ONLY one game at a time,i like to focus on it for 3-4 years till i get really really good,i'm recently thinking of switching to overwatch from dota 2,i've never played a blizzard game before and im kinda worried about starting,how good is blizzard as a company when compared to valve,i dont want to invest thousands of hours into a game then find out the company makes one dick move and ruins the entire game for me,also is does overwatch have a high high skill cap,if so how high is it.

EDIT1: also do we have hats and a trading system in overwatch

No trading system from what i understand, only cosmetics from earning in game or paying.

Most games don't really last 3-4 years though, i wouldn't get overwatch if i was looking for a game that will be inhabited for 4 years... i'd keep playing dota i guess, 

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

50 minutes ago, Sharkyx1 said:

No trading system from what i understand, only cosmetics from earning in game or paying.

Most games don't really last 3-4 years though, i wouldn't get overwatch if i was looking for a game that will be inhabited for 4 years... i'd keep playing dota i guess, 

well i was expecting overwatch to be like dota 2,since ppl ARE calling it an esport

1 minute ago, bluefire908 said:

well i was expecting overwatch to be like dota 2,since ppl ARE calling it an esport

I could be wrong, people thought titanfall had a leg in e-sports too.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

2 hours ago, bluefire908 said:

Well Trackmania, PES, Starcraft and Street Fighter are esports so...

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Only one Game for 2-3 Years? Boooooring.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

9 hours ago, Sharkyx1 said:

I could be wrong, people thought titanfall had a leg in e-sports too.

You could tell that titanfall was trash from a mile away before it released. 

@bluefire908blizzard is not a sketchy company. It's hard to tell what the skill ceiling is this early, but it will have a ranked mode so the game will always be challenging for you. I'm not really sure where some of these people are getting this 3 - 4 years nonsense. It's like they just started pc gaming yesterday, but you don't have to worry about longevity. 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 hours ago, ivan134 said:

You could tell that titanfall was trash from a mile away before it released. 

But Titanfall  was actually really good,  it just didn't hold its audience,

It was a new IP and origin exclusive, on the Xbox One it held its audience better 

10 minutes ago, Sharkyx1 said:

But Titanfall  was actually really good,  it just didn't hold its audience,

It was a new IP and origin exclusive, on the Xbox One it held its audience better 

The amount of people who bought the game on pc says otherwise. The people who bought the game on x1 are the same people who buy COD every year, so the game holding their attention means absolutely nothing to me. Please don't use titanfall as a metric for longevity of games on pc.

How old is tf2? Csgo? League of legends? Dota 2? I can still really get populated servers in bad company 2. I was still playing halo 1 pc in 2008 and servers were packed. 

Tl:dr bad games die quickly. Good games last a really fucking long time on pc. 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

4 hours ago, ivan134 said:

The amount of people who bought the game on pc says otherwise. The people who bought the game on x1 are the same people who buy COD every year, so the game holding their attention means absolutely nothing to me. Please don't use titanfall as a metric for longevity of games on pc.

How old is tf2? Csgo? League of legends? Dota 2? I can still really get populated servers in bad company 2. I was still playing halo 1 pc in 2008 and servers were packed. 

Tl:dr bad games die quickly. Good games last a really fucking long time on pc. 

Games with limited audience exposure, such as those locked to a single platform will have a harder time on PC regardless of their actual quality, on Xbox One, where the entire userbase has access to the game it had a much stronger run, to say that Titanfall buyers were cod buyers misses the point when people were still playing it well into the release of newer Cod games

Heavy long term marketing keeps League of Legends, and Dota in thier player spheres, and has nothing to do with Quality

Most people who don't like Titanfall never played it, its absolutely one of the best Multiplayer shooters released in this decade

5 minutes ago, Sharkyx1 said:

Games with limited audience exposure, such as those locked to a single platform will have a harder time on PC regardless of their actual quality, on Xbox One, where the entire userbase has access to the game it had a much stronger run, to say that Titanfall buyers were cod buyers misses the point when people were still playing it well into the release of newer Cod games

Heavy long term marketing keeps League of Legends, and Dota in thier player spheres, and has nothing to do with Quality

Most people who don't like Titanfall never played it, its absolutely one of the best Multiplayer shooters released in this decade

LOL

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

LOL

UT4 is better, but its painfully ignorant to assume Titanfall's success didn't inspire Epic to frontburner that game. Hell overwatch probably owes something to it too.

1 minute ago, Sharkyx1 said:

UT4 is better, but its painfully ignorant to assume Titanfall's success didn't inspire Epic to frontburner that game. Hell overwatch probably owes something to it too.

That's not even the funniest part of what you said. League and Dota keep their players by marketing and not quality? You say people who hate Titanfall have never played it (even though I have), but it seems like the pot calling the kettle black. No game can survive as long as either of these games has by marketing alone. Let me guess, WoW is just marketing too?

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

That's not even the funniest part of what you said. League and Dota keep their players by marketing and not quality? You say people who hate Titanfall have never played it (even though I have), but it seems like the pot calling the kettle black. No game can survive as long as either of these games has by marketing alone. Let me guess, WoW is just marketing too?

The Esports push League runs on is marketing you know, massive tournaments, money thrown at streamers, its a middle of the road inoffensive game that's easy to run and is free. This is why its the most popular game out right now. It's not because its the best

If you played the game and hated it then thats your thing, i thought it was great. I liked the less focus on progression systems and the quick mobility. the two tiered gameplay with mechs and everything else. i never really felt like there was an obvious flaw i didn't like, i mainly quit because i couldn't convince my friends to buy it

2 minutes ago, Sharkyx1 said:

The Esports push League runs on is marketing you know, massive tournaments, money thrown at streamers, its a middle of the road inoffensive game that's easy to run and is free. This is why its the most popular game out right now. It's not because its the best

If you played the game and hated it then thats your thing, i thought it was great. I liked the less focus on progression systems and the quick mobility. the two tiered gameplay with mechs and everything else. i never really felt like there was an obvious flaw i didn't like, i mainly quit because i couldn't convince my friends to buy it

Before you can have such a huge esports scene, you need to have a big audience, not the other way around. There are lot of other free to play games that also have and esports scene and yet they are not as big as dota or LoL. These 2 games have big audiences because they are actually fun to play, have tons of interesting characters and fun skins. Marketing can only go so far. Star Craft 2 used to be a huge esports game, but it died because people stopped playing the game and then lost interest in watching tournaments. It wasn't the other way around. No matter how much you choose to believe it, it will not make it true. Maybe you should ask yourself why you couldn't convince your friends to buy Titanfall. Any good game will usually speak for itself.

Why, you trying to go pro or something? Blizzard has been around much longer than valve. Let's face it though, you're talking about two heavyweights here.

Blizzard was founded in 91

Valve in 96

Both companies had lots of titles that were highly successful in the e-sports world.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Overwatch's skillcap is a lot lower than other, similar titles that have existed for a much longer period of time, so if you're looking for casual fun with some challenge, great, but some high-tier competitive players have backed away from it.

Rocket Lady is a lot like Rocket Man but has a lot simpler air control and easier height advantage.

Long shoot lady can take a height advantage much more easily than Australian long shoot man, as well as pick gold damage without an issue because of the quickly charging rifle (unless there's a bastion).

Gaming mech lady is very similar to heavily armed Russian man but has a massive advantage in mobility and flanking that Russian man can only dream of (sorry GRU, not even good enough).

Healing lady can give a damage boost in a blink of an eye as opposed to medical man's slow charging short boost.

etc.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

7 hours ago, eLucid said:

Why, you trying to go pro or something? Blizzard has been around much longer than valve. Let's face it though, you're talking about two heavyweights here.

Blizzard was founded in 91

Valve in 96

Both companies had lots of titles that were highly successful in the e-sports world.

just epenis brah,i cant remember the last time i played a game like the witcher 3

1 hour ago, bluefire908 said:

just epenis brah,i cant remember the last time i played a game like the witcher 3

Epenis? Yeah, you paint a pretty clear picture of yourself. Also, are you taking shots at me? I honestly can't tell if this is some weak attempt at using my location as a means to insult me. As if I have never played a competitive game in my life..

I've played counter-strike at a high enough level to gain sponsorships when lan tournaments were still a "thing". Believe me when I say this, your "epenis" aka your online gaming experience, it doesn't mean anything in the real world. Just throwing it out there.

Dreamers lol..

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

On 5/21/2016 at 1:47 AM, bluefire908 said:

snip

Overwatch is more of a class-based shooter akin to TF2, so I don't see why it would replace Dota 2 for you. Aside from the superficial similarity of hero characters, there really isn't much MOBA-style gameplay in it. If you're looking for a first-person MOBA, Battleborn gets a lot closer.

Blizzard is generally a pretty good company for PC gamers. They did some dumb things with Diablo III, but they had the candor to admit it and reverse many of their bad decisions. As far as Overwatch, they have said they intend for new characters and maps to be free, which is a pretty big deal for the longevity of the game and coherence of the player population.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12/09/overwatch-new-maps-characters/

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/05/2016 at 5:26 PM, eLucid said:

Epenis? Yeah, you paint a pretty clear picture of yourself. Also, are you taking shots at me? I honestly can't tell if this is some weak attempt at using my location as a means to insult me. As if I have never played a competitive game in my life..

I've played counter-strike at a high enough level to gain sponsorships when lan tournaments were still a "thing". Believe me when I say this, your "epenis" aka your online gaming experience, it doesn't mean anything in the real world. Just throwing it out there.

Dreamers lol..

i dont know how you came to the conclusion that i was insulting you...how am i supposed to know your location?

4 hours ago, bluefire908 said:

i dont know how you came to the conclusion that i was insulting you...how am i supposed to know your location?

I had tir na lia (a popular city in the witcher fantasy) set as my location at the time of your original response. Nice try though.

2 hours ago, eLucid said:

I had tir na lia (a popular city in the witcher fantasy) set as my location at the time of your original response. Nice try though.

i dont even play witcher man,how am i supposed to know that you took it the wrong way.