How can I tell if this PSU's 800W is peak or continuous?

libykim

My friend is building a new PC, but he is thinking about carrying his old PSu over to the new build. The unit at hand is the Tagan BZ series 800W, and he asked me whether it is a good idea to use it. I couldn't really help him out on this one, because all the reviews I read online felt like paid reviews for some reason. I have nothing to back this up, but it is just a fishy feeling I got. Furthermore, it often put  the word "maximum" next to 800W, and I don't really know if that means peak wattage or what else.

The PC that is about to be built is going to have an i7-6700 (non OC version), with a single graphics card around GTX 970 or 1070 range.

Also, one SSD, one HDD, two sticks of 8GB RAM.

So, what do you think about this PSU guys?

Is it a go or a no go? 

If you can afford a 1070 then you can afford a decent PSU. You also will never exceed 350W under load so spend about the same amount of money on a PSU with a lower rated wattage like the 550W EVGA GS, Seasonic M12, etc. Check out the PSU whitelist in my sig for good options.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Yes, I agree that one should get a decent PSU especially when getting things like a 1070. But I just want to know if this particular PSU is decent.

If it is not, then I guess a new one should be bought.

It looks like a piece of shit that would explode at any second, screams low quality garbage with those LEDs everywhere.

Never heard of the company either.

But who knows

8 minutes ago, libykim said:

Yes, I agree that one should get a decent PSU especially when getting things like a 1070. But I just want to know if this particular PSU is decent.

If it is not, then I guess a new one should be bought.

Yeah, new one should be bought.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

12 minutes ago, libykim said:

So, what do you think about this PSU guys?

Is it a go or a no go? 

Please, for the love of God, do not spend $750 on a 6700k and a 1070, then put a salvaged no-name PSU in there with them. The power supply is the only component in your system that can take everything else with it if/when it goes. With those components, I'd be looking at a Corsair RMi, Seasonic anything, XFX anything or a higher-end EVGA. Definitely replace that PSU.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I was hoping someone "knew" rather than "assume" it is bad, but I guess the very reason nobody really knows about it is because it really is pretty unknown and subpar, haha.

Alright then, a new PSU it is. I'll link this to my friend. Thanks guys.