A few questions about changing case fans

hsjj3

The stock case fan in my Dell PC does get pretty loud, even at idle, after I upgraded my GPU. As such, I would like to upgrade to another fan, but I want to ensure I get something that is at least as effective.

I have a few questions as follows:

1) How can I determine the CFM of my current case fan? I suppose, this is the most important thing right when you're looking at being able to dissipate the hot air from within a case?

2) Do case fans come with both 3-pin and 4-pin generally? I want to be able to ensure that I can repurpose this fan in the future if need be.

3) Should there be any complication in removing the stock case fan? Will the new fan function the same way?

Maybe it,s handy for people to know the price you want to spend?

PC || CPU - I5 3570K @4.5ghz|| Motherboard - Asrock Z77 extreme 4 || CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 || RAM - 1x8GB Vengeance Blue - XPG Adata 2x4GB's (16GB) || Graphics card - EVGA GTX 970 superclocked ACX 2.0 SLI || Storage- SEAGATE FIRECUDA 1TB ||PSU- Corsair AX750 watt gold rated|| Case- NZXT 340 WHITE

Price is not an issue. I want to get a quality product. I just mainly need to know how to determine the CFM of my current case fan. I don't want to end up buying something quieter but ultimately less effective. Around $20 should be fine, my PC is an Inspiron 660, the fan is 92mm and the connection is 3-pin (but regulated by temperature).

if price doesnt matter, throw the inspiron case out the window and get something with decent airflow options rather than relying on one 92mm fan to push 200 watts worth of tdp out the back.

1) You'd have to find the specific model fan to know, i'd think.
2) Usually they come with a 3 or a 4 pin but not both.
3) No and then yes.

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

10 minutes ago, hsjj3 said:

The stock case fan in my Dell PC does get pretty loud, even at idle, after I upgraded my GPU. As such, I would like to upgrade to another fan, but I want to ensure I get something that is at least as effective.

1) How can I determine the CFM of my current case fan? I suppose, this is the most important thing right when you're looking at being able to dissipate the hot air from within a case?

2) Do case fans come with both 3-pin and 4-pin generally? I want to be able to ensure that I can repurpose this fan in the future if need be.

3) Should there be any complication in removing the stock case fan? Will the new fan function the same way?

some of the older dells use specific fan connectors/headers on their motherboards. I would make sure you can replace it with a normal case fan.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

7 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

1) You'd have to find the specific model fan to know, i'd think.
2) Usually they come with a 3 or a 4 pin but not both.
3) No and then yes.

So a 3-pin fan will only ever work with a 3-pin motherboard connector, and the same with a 4-pin fan? Are there any adapters or such for these?

Oh man i wish you luck on trying to deal with a dell desktop. My first comp was a dell and it was a nightmare tying to find parts to upgrade it. 

9 minutes ago, hsjj3 said:

So a 3-pin fan will only ever work with a 3-pin motherboard connector, and the same with a 4-pin fan? Are there any adapters or such for these?

no you can connect them either way provided there's room for the 4 pin to hang over, the 3 pins will alway work in a 4 header

14 minutes ago, hsjj3 said:

4 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

no you can connect them either way provided there's room for the 4 pin to hang over, the 3 pins will alway work in a 4 header

You just lose the ability to control the fan spins. A 4 to 4 allows for custom profiles to be set on PWM fans while any of the other variation will always run at full speeds. 

well i didn't have a picture of his comp to go on but dell usually customize their entire desktop layouts, meaning every part is unique and different making it very difficult to find something that matches it.

I used to have a prebuilt dell, forgot the model, but there was only1 tubed exhaust fan that ran like a vacuum. Changing that was a nightmare because it was huge and held on by a plastic clamp. 

2 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

You just lose the ability to control the fan spins. A 4 to 4 allows for custom profiles to be set on PWM fans while any of the other variation will always run at full speeds. 

Ok, but what I am saying is, my an DOES NOT run at full speed. It is controlled by temperature. I can also edit the fan curve in Speedfan. Do I need to look for anything "special" or will any 3-pin fan work this way as well?

Just now, DioOmicida said:

I don't think the dell motherboard will let you do a custom profile with out an os based software of some kind anyway

1 minute ago, Bcat00 said:

well i didn't have a picture of his comp to go on but dell usually customize their entire desktop layouts, meaning every part is unique and different making it very difficult to find something that matches it.

I used to have a prebuilt dell, forgot the model, but there was only1 tubed exhaust fan that ran like a vacuum. Changing that was a nightmare because it was huge and held on by a plastic clamp. 

No I can assure you that this is definitely a 3-pin fan. I have a standard ATX motherboard, already changed the power supply with no issue. I have unscrewed the fan a few times to clean it.

Then you should be good. Just make sure you look over your parts like how it was mounted to the case and etc. If it was like a clamp like my old dell.... well good luck.

Just keep this in your mind though, DELL designs all their parts with the intent of not letting their customers use other brand as replacements.

1 minute ago, hsjj3 said:

Ok, but what I am saying is, my an DOES NOT run at full speed. It is controlled by temperature. I can also edit the fan curve in Speedfan. Do I need to look for anything "special" or will any 3-pin fan work this way as well?

I was unaware of any 3 pin fans having the ability to be controlled.
That must be specific to the model of PC you purchased and it's tailored parts.
My guess would be:

3 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

an os based software of some kind anyway

or the particular motherboard it came with.
I don't have an answer in this case. 

3 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

I was unaware of any 3 pin fans having the ability to be controlled.
That must be specific to the model of PC you purchased and it's tailored parts.
My guess would be:

or the particular motherboard it came with.
I don't have an answer in this case. 

yeah 3 wire fans are variable but not like the pmw. they work on straight voltage adjustment which not all boards will let you control, some older boards you had to turn the feature on. Like with AMD's quite and cool thing back in the day.

1 minute ago, swordsman247 said:

yeah 3 wire fans are variable but not like the pmw. they work on straight voltage adjustment which not all boards will let you control, some older boards you had to turn the feature on. Like with AMD's quite and cool thing back in the day.

Well there you go. Learn something even when you are trying to help someone else learn something.
This is why I come to this forum. 

54 minutes ago, hsjj3 said:

You know if your mobo has a 3 or 4 pin connector, you can run a 3 pin on a 4 pin btw.

PC || CPU - I5 3570K @4.5ghz|| Motherboard - Asrock Z77 extreme 4 || CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 || RAM - 1x8GB Vengeance Blue - XPG Adata 2x4GB's (16GB) || Graphics card - EVGA GTX 970 superclocked ACX 2.0 SLI || Storage- SEAGATE FIRECUDA 1TB ||PSU- Corsair AX750 watt gold rated|| Case- NZXT 340 WHITE

8 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

So what does this mean? Is only that one specific stock model with variable fan speeds, or can I switch it with any other 3-pin fan and still be able to control the fan speed?

1 minute ago, hsjj3 said:

So what does this mean? Is only that one specific stock model with variable fan speeds, or can I switch it with any other 3-pin fan and still be able to control the fan speed?

short answer- If its using a 3 pin any other 3 pin should work fine provided it fits in the case.

4 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

short answer- If its using a 3 pin any other 3 pin should work fine provided it fits in the case.

I'm still not getting a clear answer. If I were to replace it with a Noctua 92mm fan (fits the case) that has a 3-pin, will I be able to control the fan speed or will it run at 100% all the time?

2 minutes ago, hsjj3 said:

I'm still not getting a clear answer. If I were to replace it with a Noctua 92mm fan (fits the case) that has a 3-pin, will I be able to control the fan speed or will it run at 100% all the time?

Ofcourse it won,t run at 100% all the time ther are profiles for that btw mobo will do it for you how hotter the pc gets how harder they will spin there are also programs like speedfan to set op profiles etc.

13 minutes ago, hsjj3 said:

Your ability to control it will depend on the motherboard, most of the dells adjust it automatically without giving you options to change that. it will only run at full speed all the time if it's hooked up to a molex adaptor or becomes damaged in some way. You might be able to use some sort of software to adjust it from windows.

27 minutes ago, hsjj3 said:

Even if you can,t control it in the bios or change it (older motherboard), it would have been a really old motherboard if it can,t do that. There are always programs on the internet to download and videos on the internet to help you.