EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 Cooler Swap.

b1969
Go to solution Solved by SteveGrabowski0,

It wasn't so much the cooler holding back the ACX 2.0 card vs the ACX 2.0+, it was the weaker power delivery in the original series vs the refresh. My 4+2 phase 970 SC 2974-KR isn't even all that stable with a lousy 51MHz OC to bring it to the FTW stock clocks, while the 6+2 phase 970 3xxx-KR series can usually OC to around 1490 MHz or better.

I should have done this when the ACX 2.0+ came out. But I was wondering has anyone contacted EVGA about getting the ACX 2.0+ and sending back the ACX 2.0, or something along those lines?

I have the original ACX 2.0 since launch. 

well, seeing from a quick google even evga's own forum users are unsure about the difference between ACX 2.0 and ACX 2.0+ i'd say its not worth it either way...

I've been in contact with a 980 with ACX 2.0 and a 970 with ACX 2.0+ both EVGA and the only difference I've notice is slight aesthetics differences. However, it could be that its just because they are different cards. Not sure.

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

30 minutes ago, Anarchyz11 said:

Why?

13 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well, seeing from a quick google even evga's own forum users are unsure about the difference between ACX 2.0 and ACX 2.0+ i'd say its not worth it either way...

I remember awhile back people were complaining that the ACX 2.0 only had two out of the three heat pipes touching the GPU, so the cooler was not doing its job "properly." That why EVGA release the ACX 2.0+ which had a copper square that was touch the GPU and three heat pipes running along the length of the GPU.

download.jpg

acvOFnY.jpg

3 minutes ago, b1969 said:

I remember awhile back people were complaining that the ACX 2.0 only had two out of the three heat pipes touching the GPU, so the cooler was not doing its job "properly." That why EVGA release the ACX 2.0+ which had a copper square that was touch the GPU and three heat pipes running along the length of the GPU.

download.jpg

acvOFnY.jpg

does your gpu run too hot?

i bet you the only reason they even redesigned it was to stop people from bitching about it. if the heatpipe was an actual issue it wouldnt even gone past development testing.

It wasn't so much the cooler holding back the ACX 2.0 card vs the ACX 2.0+, it was the weaker power delivery in the original series vs the refresh. My 4+2 phase 970 SC 2974-KR isn't even all that stable with a lousy 51MHz OC to bring it to the FTW stock clocks, while the 6+2 phase 970 3xxx-KR series can usually OC to around 1490 MHz or better.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

i bet you the only reason they even redesigned it was to stop people from bitching about it. if the heatpipe was an actual issue it wouldnt even gone past development testing.

Nah... mine is fine. But If the ACX 2.0+ could decrease temps down by a couple of degrees I see why not to ask for a swap. 

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

I think word started getting out that EVGA 970s were terrible overclockers compared to the MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus cards and they redesigned the power delivery and heatsink in response. My 970 SC actually does run very warm for a 970, at the stock fan profile it's usually around 75C at load.

4 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

OK I got it now. Thanks for your input.

Yeah, my 970's temps are fine. However, when I try to overclock even just a little my computer would freeze up. I just got fed up with it and now I am running it stock. 

Now I know not to buy computer parts on launch. Give it a couple of months and then go out and buy it. 

2 minutes ago, b1969 said:

Nah... mine is fine. But If the ACX 2.0+ could decrease temps down by a couple of degrees I see why not to ask for a swap. 

The improved power delivery on the new PCB is why you'd want the swap. The heatsink still keeps their original 970s below 80C so you never have to worry about throttling.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I think word started getting out that EVGA 970s were terrible overclockers compared to the MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus cards and they redesigned the power delivery and heatsink in response.

anything to get rid of bad PR i guess...

my asus strix 970 which seems to be known forum-wide to be the worst gpu of 2015 for some reason runs fanless up until about 30-ish % load, and isnt annoyingly loud when torturing it. (the first company claiming they can decrease the sound of moving air deserves a medail of stupidity)

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

anything to get rid of bad PR i guess...

my asus strix 970 which seems to be known forum-wide to be the worst gpu of 2015 for some reason runs fanless up until about 30-ish % load, and isnt annoyingly loud when torturing it. (the first company claiming they can decrease the sound of moving air deserves a medail of stupidity)

I remember a couple of complaints about the Strix. What kind of OC can you get out of it? It's gotta be better than the max 1367 MHz boost clock I can set on my EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 (though it goes to 1418 MHz ingame from GPU Boost 2.0).

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I remember a couple of complaints about the Strix. What kind of OC can you get out of it? It's gotta be better than the max 1367 MHz boost clock I can set on my EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 (though it goes to 1418 MHz ingame from GPU Boost 2.0).

i havent bothered OCing it, since really nothing i play even requires it to run at full tilt :P

my rig was mostly built for silence, rather than for cranking the fans to 100% to oc the devil out of my components.

3 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

lol my 2974 also doesn't look being overclocked. I've given up on overclocking it because it isn't worth the effort for less than a 5% performance gain.