Windows 10 Automatic Update

Cela1

Soooo.......

Microsoft were supposedly turning down the forcefulness of Windows 10 updates, which would be great if it was not a pile of bollocks. 

I just got home from school about an hour ago and turned on my PC as normal. I opened up chrome and went to check up on Facebook and YouTube. About 3 mins later my computer turned it's self off and then restarted to this screen:20160519_155512.jpg

Oh dear indeed...

So I just went the last hour (not thinking just to turn the computer off) thinking about Windows 10. It isn't so bad for me as I was planning on upgrading when I got a chance, but now I just want to relax  and play some CS:GO or something, but instead I am now watching a really boring loading screen. 

Thanks Microsoft.

2 minutes ago, Cela1 said:

Soooo.......

Microsoft were supposedly turning down the forcefulness of Windows 10 updates, which would be great if it was not a pile of bollocks. 

I just got home from school about an hour ago and turned on my PC as normal. I opened up chrome and went to check up on Facebook and YouTube. About 3 mins later my computer turned it's self off and then restarted to this screen:20160519_155512.jpg

Oh dear indeed...

So I just went the last hour (not thinking just to turn the computer off) thinking about Windows 10. It isn't so bad for me as I was planning on upgrading when I got a chance, but now I just want to relax  and play some CS:GO or something, but instead I am now watching a really boring loading screen. 

Thanks Microsoft.

Well if you don't want windows to automatically update then you can kill the Windows Update service and update whenever you feel the need to. 

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

1 minute ago, Vercii said:

Well if you don't want windows to automatically update then you can kill the Windows Update service and update whenever you feel the need to. 

Yes, and for me it is not a big nuisance. But my point is that it should not be this way.... what if old granny Margret had just got her new computer from her family and then this happens to her. Margret should not have to kill Windows Service Updates as an end user.

2 minutes ago, Cela1 said:

Yes, and for me it is not a big nuisance. But my point is that it should not be this way.... what if old granny Margret had just got her new computer from her family and then this happens to her. Margret should not have to kill Windows Service Updates as an end user.

Well, could also do this. 

bbcbc0a0ce4f27e4ce45238460ea6fbb.png

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

3 minutes ago, Cela1 said:

old granny Margret

Chances are she wont care. She knows what life is like with real problems. 

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

What most people don't realize (or refuse to accept) is that a big reason why Microsoft went this route is because people are notoriously and horrendously bad at keeping their computer/security definitions up to date, and all it take is to be behind on one update for someone to have a security hole open to hack into a system. Take a basic Cyber Security course and I guarantee that you will shit your pants from what you will learn about the current state of electronic device security and how far ahead the bag guys are from the good guys (software developer companies). The reason they gave the extra options in the Pro version is because they are expecting that, if you buy the Pro version, that you have at least some level of competency for keeping your system up to date and that you wont leave your computer behind the current update package. I knew several people that never updated their Windows 7 because "it was too much of a bother to wait for the updates to finish" and then they would bitch about how slow their computers were. Once I finally convinced them to let me fix the issue, I found out they were way out of date. On person's Windows 7 install hadn't been updated in a year and a half, and they had just a metric ass-tonne of viruses and malware. I fixed their computers the one time and then told them they were on their own for keeping it up to date. If they couldn't be bothered to let the computer update as needed, then I wasn't going to be bothered spending my time fixing their screw-ups.

Bottom line is, if it really bothers you that much that your computer updates on its own to make sure your software bugs are patched as quick as possible and you are protected as much as possible, you have three options: Turn on the computer and check Windows Update right away to see if there are updates, turn it on and let it sit for 10 minutes to see if it auto-reboots, or just go buy a Windows 10 Pro license key.

Or, you know, you could make the switch to Linux or Mac.

Just please stop complaining about it.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Windows 10 Home Edition will force you to update, whereas Windows 10 Professional Edition will allow you to choose to update