Why Does Windows 10 Still Suck?

Dash Lambda

I am frankly in awe of how stupid Microsoft has become. They don't fix what everyone wants fixed, they stick to their guns when they should be improving their product, and the only changes they make are to eliminate the user's choices, with very few exceptions.

I can only imagine the thought process...

"It appears everyone hates the update system. What should we do about it?"

"Nevermind that, let's just focus on getting everyone to upgrade right now."

"But wh-"

"How about we have it install as a recommended update to older versions, so they don't even have the choice?"

"I don-"

"Let's do that."

"Nobody's using Edge, what should we change?"

"We should force Cortana to use it."

"But they probably aren't using it because it's not as g-"

"If we force them to use it, then they'll have to use it. It don't see what's so hard."

"But what if they don't want to?"

"I don't see why they wouldn't."

"We've got some people complaining about the window snap barrier on multi-monitor setups, let's add an option to turn it off."

"Nah."

"What? Why not?"

"It's a good feature. I like it. I guess they're just stupid."

"But if they don't like it, they shouldn't be forced t-"

"Get me a coffee."

"B-"

"Coffee."

"Hey, if we said we weren't going to try to compete with Steam, why is this game exclusive to the Microsoft app store?"

"Because it'll make money."

"But what about Steam?"

"Eh."

"Eh?"

"Eh."

"People are playing games on the PC way more than on the Xbox. What should we do?"

"Let's make the games into apps and put them in our app store."

"But that would mean more work for the developers..."

"How about we have a universal app format that'll work on both Windows and Xbox."

"But wouldn't that give PC the same restrictions as consoles, or at the very least make them less accessible?"

"Who the hell cares?"

"The gamers might..."

"They can go screw themselves."

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

And then come regular people with skill and fix the shit Microsoft didn't do via usually portable free programs. :D 

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I have no issue with updates. If anything it's better than ever. Edge can be disabled and uninstalled completely in "Programs and Features". Aero Snap for multi monitors is fine. Microsoft games have every right to be exclusive to the Windows Store. I don't see you complaining that PS4 games aren't sold on the Xbox Marketplace. Be glad you have what would have been a console exclusive on the PC at all. 

windows 10 was fine when I used it

which was, last Christmas

well tell me what you think

I broke windows on 25th december

and fixed it on the 1st of january

illuminati?

Well, now you're reading this, I might as well inspire you with a deep quote

If you fall, I'll be there

- Floor

so inspiring, so deep, the feels ;-;  THE FEELS ;-;

Newer Build which I'm gonna buy when I haz moneyz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£78.10 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£0.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£29.76 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£0.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For £0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £803.77

somethings says '£0.00' because I already bought them

probably best remix out there

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

I haven't had any major issues with Win10. Sure, there are a few bugs/hiccups here and there, but nothing major. 

I'm not a huge fan of how everything is integrated/connected to the internet, and they definitely have some things that they could improve on, but it is a far sight better than the atrocity upon mankind that was Win8/8.1...

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

1 minute ago, ShadyHost said:

I have no issue with updates. If anything it's better than ever. Edge can be disabled and uninstalled completely in "Programs and Features". Aero Snap for multi monitors is fine. Microsoft games have every right to be exclusive to the Windows Store. I don't see you complaining that PS4 games aren't sold on the Xbox Marketplace. Be glad you have what would have been a console exclusive on the PC at all. 

The game thing is the least of the issues for me. Mostly the idea of exclusives at all disgusts me.

"Aero Snap for multi monitors is fine"... Do you have multiple monitors?

There is no way that is fine. It stops you from dragging windows between screens unless you practically flick it! It's absolutely absurd.

And you have no issues with updates? It gives me a fullscreen popup whenever it goddamn pleases, interrupting anything I'm doing. Work, games, videos, whatever. Only way to disable it is to kill the service.

I've been using Windows 10 for a while now, and I've never once been happy with it. Every good thing it does, it takes a dozen options away and adds a couple royally irritating "features".

4 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

The game thing is the least of the issues for me. Mostly the idea of exclusives at all disgusts me.

There is no way that is fine. It stops you from dragging windows between screens unless you practically flick it! It's absolutely absurd.

And you have no issues with updates? It gives me a fullscreen popup whenever it goddamn pleases, interrupting anything I'm doing. Work, games, videos, whatever. Only way to disable it is to kill the service.

I've been using Windows 10 for a while now, and I've never once been happy with it. Every good thing it does, it takes a dozen options away and adds a couple royally irritating "features".

I'm a power user so I do flick my windows to each monitor. It works flawlessly and the addition of those side windows aero things in 10 is completely welcome. Go back to Windows 7 if you hate it so much. 

Also I haven't had a single issue with Windows 10. I haven't even noticed any popups at all and the update install time is insanely fast. 

e0074d50754a2fa12f12777406b4bc47.png

1 minute ago, Dash Lambda said:

I have a multi-monitor setup and i think the Aero snap feature is just fine. I actually like it this way because now if I want to snap the window to a part of the monitor that it's already on I just have to move the mouse a little bit which takes less than a second. If I want to move it to the other monitor I - as you said - give a faster, flicking/twitching motion to the monitor, and it works just fine while taking no more time than snapping to the main monitor.

4 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

I don't know where everyone is getting this crazy popup for Windows Update. I have never once had windows update pop open while I'm in the middle of something, or just restart my computer while I'm in the middle of something. I've had a notification that my PC needs to restart to finish installing updates a couple times, but nothing so intrusive as you claim. Did you do the upgrade option or did you do a clean install? Have you gone into PC Settings and configured how you want Windows Update to behave?

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

3 minutes ago, ShadyHost said:

I'm a power user so I do flick my windows to each monitor. It works flawlessly and the addition of those side windows aero things in 10 is completely welcome. Go back to Windows 7 if you hate it so much. 

Also I haven't had a single issue with Windows 10. I haven't even noticed any popups at all and the update install time is insanely fast. 

e0074d50754a2fa12f12777406b4bc47.png

Exactly what I just said! Great minds think alike. :)

END OF LINE

1 minute ago, DevilishBooster said:

I have a multi-monitor setup and i think the Aero snap feature is just fine. I actually like it this way because now if I want to snap the window to a part of the monitor that it's already on I just have to move the mouse a little bit which takes less than a second. If I want to move it to the other monitor I - as you said - give a faster, flicking/twitching motion to the monitor, and it works just fine while taking no more time than snapping to the main monitor.

I don't know where everyone is getting this crazy popup for Windows Update. I have never once had windows update pop open while I'm in the middle of something, or just restart my computer while I'm in the middle of something. I've had a notification that my PC needs to restart to finish installing updates a couple times, but nothing so intrusive as you claim. Did you do the upgrade option or did you do a clean install? Have you gone into PC Settings and configured how you want Windows Update to behave?

I couldn't agree more. The features Windows 10 adds are pretty nice. 

Also, PRO TIP!! (I won't even charge anyone for this one, so feel free to use it as much as you like.)

If using your mouse for the Aero-Snap feature annoys you, they also built in keyboard shortcuts (since Win7). All you have to do is hit the Windows Key + one of the arrow buttons and the window should snap to the position you tell it to within that screen.

If you want to move it to the right side of the main monitor, you hit the Windows Button + Right Arrow to move it to the right half of the screen.

If you want to move it to the monitor on the right, you just hit the Windows Button + Right Arrow (x2) to move the screen to the left side of the right monitor.

Etcetera, etcetera...

END OF LINE

4 hours ago, ShadyHost said:

I'd really love to use 7, but it'll be completely impractical very soon. Support for it is ending, people will slowly stop making software for it, so I'm stuck with 10.

As for the multi-monitor thing: It's great that you like it, glad it works for you, but I absolutely hate it and I should not be forced to either deal with the barrier or not have any snap functionality whatsoever.

And pertaining to the updates, I get popups every day.

4 hours ago, DevilishBooster said:

Like I said to the other guy, I'm glad the Aero snap barrier works for you, but I can't stand it and I shouldn't be forced to use it.

I don't think it gives you a popup when you have it set to automatic. Thing is, I prefer to control when my computer does things so I changed the update policy so that it wouldn't do anything without my say-so. Now It bugs me whenever it sees a goddamn update asking for permission to download and install it, not with a little bubble or anything, but a full-screen horribly intrusive popup. I'm considering simply shutting the service off entirely and only enabling it periodically when I want to update, because I am not eager to have Windows downloading and changing things in the background whenever it pleases.

4 hours ago, ShadyHost said:

I couldn't agree more. The features Windows 10 adds are pretty nice. 

Not for me, and I should be able to turn them off without spending an afternoon looking through files and registries and services and consoles and whatnot. I might as well not be able to change my wallpaper or default programs.

30 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

And pertaining to the updates, I get popups every day.

Like I said to the other guy, I'm glad the Aero snap barrier works for you, but I can't stand it and I shouldn't be forced to use it.

I don't think it gives you a popup when you have it set to automatic. Thing is, I prefer to control when my computer does things so I changed the update policy so that it wouldn't do anything without my say-so. Now It bugs me whenever it sees a goddamn update asking for permission to download and install it, not with a little bubble or anything, but a full-screen horribly intrusive popup. I'm considering simply shutting the service off entirely and only enabling it periodically when I want to update, because I am not eager to have Windows downloading and changing things in the background whenever it pleases.

I do not have it set to automatically update. Do you have 10 or 10 Pro? Because I'm willing to bet that makes a difference considering they give you a lot more control in 10 Pro. I previously had Windows 8.1 Pro, so I got the free upgrade to 10 Pro. If you don't have 10 Pro and you want better control of your settings, then go buy an upgrade to 10 Pro.

I guess the point that I was trying to imply in my initial response is that there is no constructive reason for this thread. All you did was start a thread to bitch about Win10 (when you could have just done that in a status update), instead of starting a thread looking for constructive ideas for work-arounds. I guess I'm just sick of everyone and their mother bitching about tiny little things instead of being happy that they have a product they can use. In the end it's Microsoft's product and they can do whatever they damn well please. If you don't like it and don't agree with their decisions, don't support them by buying their products and make switch to Linux or Mac. Just please stop cluttering the forum with shit-posts complaining about something you can't do anything about (unless you get a degree in some computer science field and go work your way to the top of the Microsoft pecking order).

*mic drop*

Rant over.

END OF LINE

5 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

I do not have it set to automatically update. Do you have 10 or 10 Pro? Because I'm willing to bet that makes a difference considering they give you a lot more control in 10 Pro. I previously had Windows 8.1 Pro, so I got the free upgrade to 10 Pro. If you don't have 10 Pro and you want better control of your settings, then go buy an upgrade to 10 Pro.

I guess the point that I was trying to imply in my initial response is that there is no constructive reason for this thread. All you did was start a thread to bitch about Win10 (when you could have just done that in a status update), instead of starting a thread looking for constructive ideas for work-arounds. I guess I'm just sick of everyone and their mother bitching about tiny little things instead of being happy that they have a product they can use. In the end it's Microsoft's product and they can do whatever they damn well please. If you don't like it and don't agree with their decisions, don't support them by buying their products and make switch to Linux or Mac. Just please stop cluttering the forum with shit-posts complaining about something you can't do anything about (unless you get a degree in some computer science field and go work your way to the top of the Microsoft pecking order).

*mic drop*

Rant over.

I've got pro, they still don't let you do anything. At least by my standards.

Linux doesn't have anywhere near the compatibility or usability of Windows (for my uses), and Macs are... I don't even know why you'd list them...

But anyway, Microsoft very much has a monopoly. There aren't any practical alternatives for me nor most people. I am seriously considering giving Linux another, more generous chance though...

I didn't even consider that this forum has a status update system, but I'm sure we all understand that sometimes you need to vent about something. Windows 10 has been nothing but an irritation and disappointment from the moment I booted to the install media. If you like to have control over what your machine does and how it does it, then 10 is a horrendous mistake of an operating system. It's-

-... My it's easy to shift from a completely level-headed idea to a rant...

... Anyway, Windows 10 has been a thorn in my side and I am honestly confounded by why Microsoft hasn't fixed many of its issues. My question in this thread is a meaningful one, but... Well, I guess I just got carried away and ended up writing a pointless rant.

6 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

vent post

Updates: Microsoft have moved away from the Service Pack patching model with new kernel releases every 5-6 years. Updates are an integral part to the new approach Microsoft have taken too supporting a Long Term, incrementally updated OS - Such as OS-X for Mac's. The updated typically aren't that intrusive unless you're running the Insider Builds. The updates are 90% applied at next system restart - very few of them are forced reboots.

Edge/Cortana: Edge was developed to rebuild their browser from scratch to support Best Practice which Firefox & Chrome have become so popular for, rather than implement their own personal views on how CSS and browser scripting should be handled. Also Cortana is extremely popular with many users, especially mobile users - remember Windows 10 is Microsofts first truely Unified OS...it uses the same base and gets deployed across desktops, tablets, mobile devices, arm devices, etc...

Multi Monitor: Seems fine here - I use multi monitors and don't have much trouble organising things how I want them.

I use Winkey + Arrows too snap windows. This has been the same since Windows 7.

Windows Store: Fair point, but just avoid buying them - I haven't bought a single Windows Store game. But i do own several games, as this is to do with their OS unification.

As part of the Unification process, theyre merging the Xbox & Windows Stores. So you own the game on one platform, you own it on the other. I believe the way this works, is that running on PC - the games leverage the Xbox App that is somewhat of an emulation enivornment - so it gives you the same experience as if you were playing it from your Xbox.

If you want the full PC experience, you have to buy the PC version of the game.

More on Universal games: http://betanews.com/2016/02/26/beware-windows-store-games-have-serious-limitations/

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA