Speedfan - No 'software controlled' option???

Hey people of the internet. Today i watched Jayz2cents' video on how to set up speedfand and i wanted to give it a try. However there is a problem when setting it up. What you are supposed to do, in order to control your fans automatically by a fan curve is go to "Configure", "Advanced" tab, select your Chip and change the "Value" of each PWM Header to "Software Controlled". However, there is no such option for me, i only have "Manual", "Thermal Cruise", "Speed Cruise", "Smart Fan IV" <-(which is the default one, wehre it uses whatever i have set in the BIOS) and 10 times the setting "DO NOT USE".

So, i can't set it to "software controlled" and thus not use custom fan curves. I have already tried setting everything up with one of the other settings but nothing works. Pls help. :)

Motherboard: MSI Z87 GD-65 Gaming

CPU: i7 4790K

GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

who cares...

I assume all of the fans you want to controll are connected to PWM sockets on the motherboard?

huh let me check out his video. 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

"Manual" works the same way, he said it in his video. Different motherboards give different options.

I used to be quite active here.

Can you share a screenshot with the available options for your controllers?

As Jayz said in the video, it might vary from motherboard to motherboard.

Mine I.E. only supports Software control on 3 of the PWM fans it has. The others aren't controllable from the OS in any way with any software other than ASUS AI Suite (wich isn't available for windows 10, yay) so check if that's not your case.

|CPU : Core i7 4770 (non-K :( ) | GPU : XFX RX 480 GTR 8GB @ 1385Mhz | MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 | PSU: XFX 850W PRO | Case: In-Progress Silverstone TJ-07 |

Zenfone 2 ZE551ml 32GB + 64GB SD - Rooted LineageOS |

Not supported by your mobo anyway :/

Doesnt seem to work for most mobos.

EDIT:scroll up thanks @hunched

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

7 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Not supported by your mobo anyway :/

Doesnt seem to work for most mobos.

EDIT:scroll up thanks @hunched

Yea.

It should work with almost every modern motherboard that has PWM support recognized by Windows.

If you can control your fans with any software in Windows, 99% chance you can do it with SpeedFan as well if you set it up correctly.

SpeedFan is capable of accessing whatever other fan speed programs can access almost always.

13 minutes ago, Hunched said:

Yea.

It should work with almost every modern motherboard that has PWM support recognized by Windows.

If you can control your fans with any software in Windows, 99% chance you can do it with SpeedFan as well if you set it up correctly.

SpeedFan is capable of accessing whatever other fan speed programs can access almost always.

Is there a quick and easy way to make a curve?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

35 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Is there a quick and easy way to make a curve?

Don't think so.

Right clicking the dots lets you move them -/+10% at a time though.

On 17.5.2016 at 6:38 PM, Carloso said:

I assume all of the fans you want to controll are connected to PWM sockets on the motherboard?

Yes, they are all PWM headers aswell as fans.

On 17.5.2016 at 6:39 PM, Nacho Marco Segui said:

Same for me, I also have an MSI motherboard

In this guide:http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1275-page2.html they say that manual and software controlled is the same, but I've tried to create a fan profile and it did not work

On 17.5.2016 at 6:51 PM, Kobathor said:

"Manual" works the same way, he said it in his video. Different motherboards give different options.

13 hours ago, Hunched said:

Manual is the same thing.

This is a better guide than Jayz

http://www.silentpcreview.com/SpeedFan

It is like Nacho Marco Segui said, Nothing happens when i use "Manual" instead. Manual Mode for me really is Manual. When i set the tick at "Automatic fan speed" my fans jump to random fan speeds and stay there no matter what i do with my fan curves. My fan curve is the usual hysteresis curve from 30°C/40% to 80°C/100%. I only told Speedfan to monitor one temperature, which is my GPU temp, all the other ones were showing funky stuff like CPU at 128 °C or Auxiliary sensor at -31 °C, so i deactivated them.

On 17.5.2016 at 7:09 PM, Inimigor said:

Can you share a screenshot with the available options for your controllers?

As Jayz said in the video, it might vary from motherboard to motherboard.

Mine I.E. only supports Software control on 3 of the PWM fans it has. The others aren't controllable from the OS in any way with any software other than ASUS AI Suite (wich isn't available for windows 10, yay) so check if that's not your case.

Speefan Options.png

These are all the Options i have. I used every single one of them for my tests.

Speedfan header setup.png

Thats what the configuration for my System Header looks like. They are all configured the same actually. Don't mind the fan curve, i just set it to random things there; i tested with the standard speedfan curve.

Speedfan Temp setup.png

And this is what my Temperature setup looks like. As mentioned above, i only have the GPU temp sensor activated and the speed you see in the main window is a fixed speed, which it jumps back to, no matter what i do to the fan curve.

I hope i didn't forget anything, thanks for helping, everyone. :) Sorry if i forgot something, work is stressing me right now.

who cares...