Old Corsair H100 + New i7 6700k = 97c under load

Snorlax

Hello. I purchased an H100 back in 2012 and it ran fine for me. I thought the temperature was always a bit higher than other people's, but I had my old 2600k overclocked, so I wasn't sure if it was just the chip or the cooler.

I recently upgraded to an i7 6700k and installed my H100 again (with Arctic Silver thermal paste). I overclocked it slightly to 4.0 GHz and now I check the temperature, which jumps to 97c under full load. 93-97c typically.

When it's not under load, it tends to jump from ~35c idle to 50c, just when I open a new tab in Chrome, or when I open a software.

I cannot hear the pump on my H100 at all. Not even with all fans turned off (using my installed fan controller). There is no noticeable difference between stage 1 or stage 3. Temperature remains the same on stage 1 and stage 3 (pump power I guess?).

Could it be the pump in my H100? Since it pretty much happened to both my i7 2600k and my new i7 6700k, I'm willing to put my bet on the pump.

Also fun fact: Even when I turn my fans completely off and the pump on 1, it's the exact same temperature as pump on 3 and full power on my Corsair SP fans.

Desktop: i9 12900K - 64GB 6000 MHz CL36 - RTX 4090 X3 OC

Unraid server: Ryzen 3900X - 32GB 3200 MHz CL14 - Quadro P2000 - 50+ TB raw

1 minute ago, Snorlax said:

Hello. I purchased an H100 back in 2012 and it ran fine for me. I thought the temperature was always a bit higher than other people's, but I had my old 2600k overclocked, so I wasn't sure if it was just the chip or the cooler.

I recently upgraded to an i7 6700k and installed my H100 again (with Arctic Silver thermal paste). I overclocked it slightly to 4.0 GHz and now I check the temperature, which jumps to 97c under full load. 93-97c typically.

When it's not under load, it tends to jump from ~35c idle to 50c, just when I open a new tab in Chrome, or when I open a software.

I cannot hear the pump on my H100 at all. Not even with all fans turned off (using my installed fan controller). There is no noticeable difference between stage 1 or stage 3. Temperature remains the same on stage 1 and stage 3 (pump power I guess?).

Could it be the pump in my H100? Since it pretty much happened to both my i7 2600k and my new i7 6700k, I'm willing to put my bet on the pump.

Also fun fact: Even when I turn my fans completely off and the pump on 1, it's the exact same temperature as pump on 3 and full power on my Corsair SP fans.

yeah.... probably a pump.... turn the pump to max and touch it and se if its vibrating, if its just still and you dont feel anything its definetly a dead pump

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

Just now, Midnitewarrior4 said:

yeah.... probably a pump.... turn the pump to max and touch it and se if its vibrating, if its just still and you dont feel anything its definetly a dead pump

Completely dead. I cannot feel anything nor hear it pump. Do you think a dead pump is able to keep my system running though?

Rip pump :( if the pump was alive with no dead fans (which was my situation for a month), with an OCed 3570k@4.2Ghz, it never went above 80c with Prime95 :D (yes, there was only one fan blowing air through out the case which was the solo SP120 on the h75 rad for my GPU :P, my fan controller died and had no choice but to run it almost fanless and it work surprisingly well :D)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, Snorlax said:

Completely dead. I cannot feel anything nor hear it pump. Do you think a dead pump is able to keep my system running though?

No, no and no, if it was the fans (stated in my post above) then probably but without that pump, no heat is being moved away from the CPU :/ 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Rip pump :( if the pump was alive with no dead fans (which was my situation for a month), with an OCed 3570k@4.2Ghz, it never went above 80c with Prime95 :D (yes, there was only one fan blowing air through out the case which was the solo SP120 on the h75 rad for my GPU :P, my fan controller died and had no choice but to run it almost fanless and it work surprisingly well :D)

Yeah I think it's a dead pump :( I've always installed my radiator at the top of my case, which means it has to pump more (I guess).

No, no and no, if it was the fans (stated in my post above) then probably but without that pump, no heat is being moved away from the CPU :/ 

So it's not the pump?

7 minutes ago, Snorlax said:

well you pretty much already answered that :P has your system been running ? if so then hurrray your fine but gonna get super high temps, if it overheats constantly then no..   either way i highly suggest a new cooler, or putting the stock one on if you have it

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

and a car thread ! 

Yeah I think it's a dead pump :( I've always installed my radiator at the top of my case, which means it has to pump more (I guess).

no, installing it to the top is good as heat travels upwards but with no pump, only the heat convected is moved to the rad to dissipate which is not fast enough :/ 

So it's not the pump?

It probably is the pump, if it was the fans that are dead with the pump running then it could be fine but no pump=most of the heat isn't even going to the rad :/ 

3 minutes ago, Snorlax said:

So it's not the pump?

hes saying it wont run the system

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

2 minutes ago, Midnitewarrior4 said:

well you pretty much already answered that :P has your system been running ? if so then hurrray your fine but gonna get super high temps, if it overheats constantly then no..

Yeah I kinda did, but I've never talked to anyone with a broken pump before, so I'm not really sure, if the water is cool enough to cool it down, if the pump doesn't work at all.

no, installing it to the top is good as heat travels upwards but with no pump, only the heat convected is moved to the rad to dissipate which is not fast enough :/ 

It probably is the pump, if it was the fans that are dead with the pump running then it could be fine but no pump=most of the heat isn't even going to the rad :/ 

Yeah that's true.

Yep, I'd shove the stock on for the time being if you kept it (which you should).

Return it on warranty if you can. A lack of coolant or a bad pump can usually get the warranty.

CPU i5 4670k
 Motherboard MSI Z87 MPOWER 
RAM DDR3, 16GB

GPU XFX R9 390x

Case Raidmax Vampire (Soon to be MasterCase Pro 5)

Storage WD10EZEX-00KUWA0

PSU EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W

Display(s) LG 29UM67 (Ultrawide 29in)

Keyboard HAVIT HV-KB380L

Mouse Redragon Perdition

Sound Extremely old, deliciously sexy Harman Kardons

Operating System W10, VMs of El Capitan, W7, WXP, and Unix

1 minute ago, Cralineleader said:

Yep, I'd shove the stock on for the time being if you kept it (which you should).

Return it on warranty if you can. A lack of coolant or a bad pump can usually get the warranty.

Unfortunately I do not and I have exams coming up, so I am quite screwed for a month.

Just now, Snorlax said:

Unfortunately I do not and I have exams coming up, so I am quite screwed for a month.

Dang. May want to go for a cheap replacement then. You could probably Amazon a simple air non-stock to do the job, it will do the trick until that point. Do you have Prime?

CPU i5 4670k
RAM DDR3, 16GB

GPU XFX R9 390x

Storage WD10EZEX-00KUWA0

Keyboard HAVIT HV-KB380L

Mouse Redragon Perdition

3 minutes ago, Cralineleader said:

Dang. May want to go for a cheap replacement then. You could probably Amazon a simple air non-stock to do the job, it will do the trick until that point. Do you have Prime?

The temperature is not a problem for me right now, so I guess I'll just have to wait before I send it in. They do offer 5 years warranty, which is quite nice to be honest.

45 minutes ago, Snorlax said:

The temperature is not a problem for me right now, so I guess I'll just have to wait before I send it in. They do offer 5 years warranty, which is quite nice to be honest.

I love the fact you said you overclocked to 4.0gz but your signature said otherwise. 

Magical Pineapples

2 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

I love the fact you said you overclocked to 4.0gz but your signature said otherwise. 

Sometimes people decide not to stick with a certain overclock. Don't really know why that's a big deal.

CPU i5 4670k
RAM DDR3, 16GB

GPU XFX R9 390x

Storage WD10EZEX-00KUWA0

Keyboard HAVIT HV-KB380L

Mouse Redragon Perdition

2 minutes ago, Cralineleader said:

Sometimes people decide not to stick with a certain overclock. Don't really know why that's a big deal.

No the fact, he cant even get stable on stock frequency.... lol

Magical Pineapples

7 hours ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

6 hours ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

No the fact, he cant even get stable on stock frequency.... lol

I run it at 4.8 GHz when I need to run certain tasks. 4.0 GHz is my everyday overclock, as I don't need the extra 800 MHz for every single task.

The fact that you blame it on me like that, proves you're a narrow minded thinker.

Always jumping on conclusions, when you don't have any proof. What a shame.